MnGCA Home MnGCA
Minnesota Geocaching Association

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   User listUser list   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Cache of the Year 2010
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  

Which cache should be 2010 Cache of the Year?
January CotM: A Change
4%
 4%  [ 2 ]
February CotM: Lair of the Three-Headed Woman
32%
 32%  [ 14 ]
March CotM: Unequivocally Puzzle Valley
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
April CotM: The One Ring
2%
 2%  [ 1 ]
May CotM: Gauntlet 2010 - Senses Census
27%
 27%  [ 12 ]
June CotM: The Sword In The Stone
6%
 6%  [ 3 ]
July CotM: Power & Water
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
August CotM: You Gotta Love Golden Valley History
18%
 18%  [ 8 ]
September CotM: Revolt of the Hill People: Callaghan Valley
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
October CotM: The John H. Allison Memorial Forest
2%
 2%  [ 1 ]
November CotM: The Lair's Earthcache
2%
 2%  [ 1 ]
December CotM: Dragon's Lair
2%
 2%  [ 1 ]
Total Votes : 43

msteffel
Geocacher

PostPosted: Sun Jan 02, 2011 6:37 pm    Post subject: Cache of the Year 2010 Reply with quote

Which cache should be MnGCA's Cache of the Year 2010?

What is Cache of the Year? Well it's just like cache of the Month, except for the cache of the year the nominees are the winners of that years Cache of the Month.

Cache of the Year voting runs during the month of January. Remember these caches are already winners, this could just be the cherry on top for one of these fantastic caches!!

Feel free to discuss and remember vote early and vote often! Wink

Your nominees:

January CotM:
Quote:
A Change by The Rude Rat Crew as nominated by NYSandy23 who wrote:

This devilshly evil hide is cunning and unexpected. While the clue is in the cache page description it doesn't really make sense unless you actually find the container. In the open, but not really. In sight, but not really. Every day people pass these by and ignore them. A great job of thought and creativity make this one a winner.

February CotM:
Quote:
GCR71H: Lair of the Three-Headed Woman by Force of Five (aka King Boreas) nominated by msteffel

Golf Courses have signature holes, for geocaching in the Twin Cities, GCR71H "Lair of the Three-Headed Woman" is, IMHO, THE signature cache. It's on at least 12 public "Best of"/Favorite/Excellent/Highlights. It current has 200 finds and even though word has clearly gotten around that this is a 'must do' cache, it hasn't been a CotM nominee. If folks use the CotM list to find caches in the state, this one must be on the list! I've seen comments in the log and in the forum where this is the first cache they show people other cachers when they come visit.

Even a DNF is enjoyable - it took me a few tries and I really thought it wasn't there as there are really only so many options, but it is there!

While this cache doesn't disappoint any time of year (though finding in the winter may be tough), my favorite time is late winter/early to mid spring - when the ice starts to melt. The sights of huge ice walls in the limestone "lair" with water trickling behind it, the sounds of the ice melting, popping and cracking - it's truly a magical spot. I work near this area occasionally will hike to this spot looks like now as it's continually changing. While it might not be the easiest spot to get to, it so worth the hike! All Hail the King for bring so may people to this fantastic location with his cache!

March CotM:
Quote:
Unequivocally Puzzle Valley (GC22CVH) by bobcam nominated by sparkyfry

(I'd like to nominate) Unequivocally Puzzle Valley because of the effect it had on caching in the area.

First of all, it made "Puzzle Valley" a self-fulfilling prophecy. In the 36 days between when the cache was published and when it was first found, several new but fair puzzles were published in the area in an effort to discover the location of the cache. There are 97 caches total in Golden Valley, a geographically small city. 46 are traditionals; 46 are puzzles. 14 caches were published in Golden Valley since January 24; all of them are puzzles.

Many teams of cachers also tried to brute force it the old-fashioned way. I developed a whole new level of respect for the art of brute forcing seeing what everybody was doing because of this puzzle.

At one point, the puzzle was ranked as the most difficult puzzle in the world among all the puzzles listed on geocheck.org. It had 2,800 wrong answers and 0 right at one point.

In the end, a cacher with 105 finds cracked the puzzle just as the brute forcers were about to crack it.

April CotM:
Quote:
GC2366T - The One Ring Series by Pippin and Merry (Nominated by Hal-oween):

"The One Ring" is the final of a series of caches based on the Lord of the Rings. All are located in Eden Prairie's Edenvale Park which has some beautiful and rustic trails, creeks and varied terrain and there is plenty of parking. You need to find 5 well planned out caches to get The One Ring and it took us a little over an hour to get them all. It is a testament to how great these caches are that over 40 cachers have completed the entire series in just 2 months since publishing. Each hide is different and offers differing levels of difficulty and all are winter friendly. The owners put a lot of thought and detail into this amazing series and should be rewarded by earning cache of the month.

May CotM:
Quote:
GC26NWB - Gauntlet 2010 - Senses Census by Seldon nominated by bflentje

If any of you enjoyed Seldon's Gaunlet multicache from 2008, you had better check this one out.. This adventure was worth the effort. I can't say much without ruining the fun for you but one thing I will say is that this one does NOT require you to drive around 50 miles like the last one. If there is to be a Minnesota Cache-Of-The-Year, this is it.

June CotM:
Quote:
(GC27N0W) "The Sword In The Stone" by Diehard50248 nominated by knowschad

Its been a while since I have nominated a cache for CotM, but today I found one that I feel deserves the attention of at least being nominated. I've always been a fan of clever caches, and ones that go way beyond the normal in effort, creativity, and execution. At this point, there are only 8 finds on this cache, but take a look at the comments in those logs!

I would strongly encourage you to run up to the Maplewood/Woodbury area and check this cache out.

July CotM:
Quote:
(GC2533T) "Power & Water " by stealth11 nominated by RudeRat

NiceRat and I found this one in a park full of wonderful caches. Stealth11 has placed several fun and creative caches in this little park, each deserving of recognition. I have selected Power & Water to nominate simply because it made me laugh, out loud, in the woods. Once you have done a few caches in the park, you will feel the same anticipation I did about what the next one will be. This was the last one for us, and it was not what I expected. We enjoyed it and hope you make the trip to enjoy it as well. Thanks for the giggle stealth11!

August CotM:
Quote:
"You Gotta Love Golden Valley History" GC1C2Q8 by K0TLG and sparkyfry (nominated by rosebud55112)

It is a 13-step multicache which can be done in about two hours by someone who knows their way around town, and offers helpful tips such as nearby caches for each step, and even offers hints on some local puzzles--with the COs' permission.

September CotM:
Quote:
GC21FRM "Revolt of the Hill People: Callaghan Valley" by Aix sponsa nomination by AShan

Description: I am nominating this cache because of the difficulty in
finding the right trail, it has the beauty that mn has to offer especially at
the cache site, it is in the boonies, and it takes time to get to it through
the woods.

October CotM:
Quote:
"The John H. Allison Memorial Forest" GC14W42 by Grey Wolf and Wild Rice (nominated by 15Tango)

Caches like this are one of the reasons I geocache - a pleasant hike (1.2 miles round-trip according to my GPS). The cache page says it all, and I experienced all of it on my way to and from the cache - the deer trails (complete with actual live deer!), the loon and their calls, and the various other wildlife in this little garden spot not far from the "weave" of 35E and 694. And along with the great fauna, you can also experience a fine example of the wonderful flora Minnesota has to offer. During the summer months, you can drive along the Saint Paul Water Utility Access Road to get to the parking area and get some great views of Vadnais Lake.

November CotM:
Quote:
GC2F6R9 The Lair's Earthcache by Jam3s (nominated by butcherandswimmer )

This is two for one as they are in the exact same place and it is one of the neatest cache site in the state. I do not know it the 3 headed woman has been honored before but if not it should be and now with a earthcahe with it it is well worth the trip to get.

December CotM:
Quote:
Dragon's Lair (GC1C27P) by DOC. and nominated by bflentje

I would like to nominate a fantastic cache called The Dragon's Lair (GC1C27P) by the dragon tamer herself, Doc. This cache is located down on the Root River Trail in an absolutely gorgeous, and quite frankly, very under rated, part of southern Minnesota (Fillmore county). Unforunately now that winter has set in, the beauty surrounding this cache won't be as prominent but if you visit this cache any other time of the year, spring, summer, and especially autumn, you will be delighted with the scenery. In addition to the natural setting of the cache, you will not be surprised that this is also kind of cache that I take a special liking to. A cache that takes you on an adventure with a chance to get down and dirty.

I believe that with the winter season setting in that my timing may be off. But I still firmly believe that this cache is worthy of COTM. Even if you do not vote for this cache, please find the time to go experience this cache and the Root River Trail.
TheGilby4
Geocacher

PostPosted: Mon Jan 03, 2011 2:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Since six of the twelve cache of the month winners have either "Lair" or "Valley" in the title, I'm thinking that if I want to get another cache of the month win, all I have to do is name my next cache:

"The Valley Lair"!!!

Sounds like a winner. Wink
bflentje
Geocacher

PostPosted: Mon Jan 03, 2011 2:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Voting for COTY, if I were being honest with myself, is tougher than I expected.
loneeagle_24
Geocacher

PostPosted: Tue Jan 04, 2011 7:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks like I need to get out more. I have to say sadly, that I haven't found a one of these. Crying or Very sad
msteffel
Geocacher

PostPosted: Thu Jan 20, 2011 8:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just 11 days left in the first Cache of the Year voting! It's a pretty close race!
dornole
Geocacher

PostPosted: Thu Jan 20, 2011 9:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I actually did find a lot of these. Easy vote for Senses Census for me though. Exceptional containers, great spot to hike, an adventure. Love that one!
msteffel
Geocacher

PostPosted: Tue Feb 01, 2011 9:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Congratulations to all of the nominees for the first ever MnGCA Cache of the Year!

It was a tight race between Lair of the Three-Headed Woman, Gauntlet 2010 - Senses Census & "You Gotta Love Golden Valley History". In fact, Senses Census was in the lead (12 to 11 over Lair) as the clocked struck February, but with the way the forum software works, there was some extra time still left to vote (as you can only set the poll to run for a certain number of days and I posted the poll at 6:37 pm [this was poor planning on my part], there was still time to vote until 6:37 pm on the 1st) and during that 'extra' time 3 more votes came in for Lair. So while there might be talk of butterfly ballots and hanging chads, other than promising to do better next time in setting up the vote to end when I say it will, I believe we have to go with the final vote tally.

So congratulation to Force of Five (aka King Boreas) as GCR71H: Lair of the Three-Headed Woman is the inaugural MnGCA Cache of the Year! Seldon's Gauntlet 2010 - Senses Census took home the silver and K0TLG & sparkyfry's "You Gotta Love Golden Valley History" took home the bronze!

Again congratulation to all the nominees. As always, the goal of CotM (& also CotY) is to encourage high quality caches and hopefully give a little pub to the great caches and their creators. Thanks!
bflentje
Geocacher

PostPosted: Tue Feb 01, 2011 9:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

While Lair of the Three-Headed Woman is NO DOUBT an excellent cache (location), it does not even come close to the experience you get while doing Senses Census. At the end of the day I move on with my life but I am terribly disappointed at the outcome of this vote. Who am I? I actually completed 1/3 of the great caches listed. Perhaps next year.

Not looking for debate and not looking to change the process. Just trying to get my post count up with excessive whining. Confused
mayberryman
Geocacher

PostPosted: Wed Feb 02, 2011 12:40 am    Post subject: Senses! Reply with quote

It looks like it is too late to vote, but if I could still vote it would be for "The Gaunlet: Senses Census", it make be the best cache I have ever been to.
King Boreas
Geocacher

PostPosted: Mon Feb 28, 2011 4:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Due to the controversy (details above), I've decided to return the geocoin which I received in the mail. I will give it to a board member soon.

Also, I'd like to decline the award, the gold, or whatever. I don't want an * attached to the cache name, due to an appearance of impropriety.
bflentje
Geocacher

PostPosted: Mon Feb 28, 2011 5:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

King Boreas wrote:
Due to the controversy (details above), I've decided to return the geocoin which I received in the mail. I will give it to a board member soon.

Also, I'd like to decline the award, the gold, or whatever. I don't want an * attached to the cache name, due to an appearance of impropriety.

I never know when you're being serious. Not sure if I should Laughing or Shocked .
Pear Head
Past MnGCA President

PostPosted: Mon Feb 28, 2011 5:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bflentje wrote:
King Boreas wrote:

I never know when you're being serious. Not sure if I should Laughing or Shocked .

I have the same problem as Bart - I never know if you're serious or not. I bet if we took a poll we'd find lots of people with that same issue. Wink

That aside (and in full disclosure, I have no stake in this vote, nor did I place a vote), I believe that you should keep what you've earned. The judge (msteffel) declared the victor, so honor the contest and keep the loot. I don't see any issues of appearance or impropriety as you weren't involved in the *minor* issue at the end. It would be different if you were able to keep the vote open for longer, but we all know that isn't the case here.
bflentje
Geocacher

PostPosted: Mon Feb 28, 2011 5:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I never implied I thought the vote was rigged or not genuine, if that's what you mean.
Arcticabn
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Mon Feb 28, 2011 6:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

KB, shad up and take the award. It is deserving. And there are no strings attached.

You've had 230 finders on your cache, the silver has only had 28 finds. So the people have spoken. Be humble, say thank you and go hide another 1000 please before I leave the state.
King Boreas
Geocacher

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2011 12:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks guys.

I appreciate the replies and support.

Thanks to the MnGCA for the coin. I will release it, and it will have an appropriate "mission"
Post new topic   Reply to topic    MnGCA Forum Index -> Cache of the Month All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: