MnGCA Home MnGCA
Minnesota Geocaching Association

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   User listUser list   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Winter of 2010 Winter-friendly caches
Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
EPMinnesota
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Fri Dec 24, 2010 3:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The 2 Murphy's landing caches are great winter caches! After a trudge through about 15 or so feet they are easily accessible right off 101 west of Valleyfair in Shakopee.

Murphy has Landed and Another Murphy has Landed
KRedEP
Geocacher

PostPosted: Fri Dec 24, 2010 3:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A recent article in the startribune made me wonder if caching is open at the Landing....
http://www.startribune.com/local/south/112112019.html?elr=KArksUUUoDEy3LGDiO7aiU Very Happy
EPMinnesota
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Fri Dec 24, 2010 3:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

KRedEP wrote:
A recent article in the startribune made me wonder if caching is open at the Landing....
http://www.startribune.com/local/south/112112019.html?elr=KArksUUUoDEy3LGDiO7aiU Very Happy

Thanks for posting that. Motormouth97 was with me last night and I tried to describe what Murphy's Landing was but I have never been there. Now that it's free that's an even better reason to stop in. Checking out geocaching possibilities will probably be a draw for some too! I don't know how big the park is or whether the 2 caches outside will affect whether there's enough room to place any inside.
KRedEP
Geocacher

PostPosted: Fri Dec 24, 2010 4:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's nice they opened it up for public hiking. I'm looking forward to visiting there. Caching would be a great excuse!
15Tango
Past MnGCA Chair

PostPosted: Fri Dec 24, 2010 5:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

EPMinnesota wrote:
The 2 Murphy's landing caches are great winter caches! After a trudge through about 15 or so feet they are easily accessible right off 101 west of Valleyfair in Shakopee.

Murphy has Landed and Another Murphy has Landed

Thanks! I'm headed down near there tomorrow, and those both look like great candidates to fill in my box for 25 December on my "Finds by Found Date" grid.
KRedEP
Geocacher

PostPosted: Fri Dec 24, 2010 6:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i just re-enabled two Minnesota Valley caches.
Yes! It Floods! GC28XMN
Will it Flood? GC1M5RP

Both of these caches had easy to follow footpaths down to the valley, and then there even was a recently plowed trail in the valley. I hit about six inches of snow throughout the trail to the cache. The trickiest thing about these two caches is finding the trailhead. There is a nice city park sign for Brown Conservation area. ( Park here N 44 48.700 W 093 25.336) Down the driveway a ways, the neighbors have created a nice footpath down to the park.

Both caches are an easy find and well above ground. I was in and out of there in 35 minutes.
Red_Devil35
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Wed Jan 05, 2011 12:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

New Years-LPC was a quick find for me last night.

Found United States Mint-Treasury-Quarter after work today.

Gunner's Father's Day Cache is definitely winter friendly.

First Snow Cache is winter friendly, even though I fell over walking back to the car.

Ellie's Treasure is a nice walk.

Found Not Particularly Evil over my lunch hour.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    MnGCA Forum Index -> Twin Cities Metro Area All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: