MnGCA Home MnGCA
Minnesota Geocaching Association

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   User listUser list   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

opencaching.com
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5

View previous topic :: View next topic  
MNMizzou
Geocacher

PostPosted: Tue Dec 21, 2010 2:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

speedysk1 wrote:
kc9gbo wrote:
Have to agree with both sides, but what everyone is fearing to happen has started to down here. We have a local cache hider who placed a couple of caches and found out he was too close to others, so instead of going to retrieve them he left them out and just listed them on OC.com. Same hider last night placed a cache in a rest area in Mn. that I currently have a cache at and I'm monitoring that one closely to see what happens. Have a feeling if it gets pulled from GC it will just show up on Oc. Time will tell, but I don't have a warm happy feeling right now.

That was what I found as well. The cache hider is very active on geocaching .com, but has a cache listed on OC that is less that 200 feet from another cache. I'm only guessing, but I suspect the same is true, it was denied so the cacher listed it on OC.

Which then begs the question if you list it only on a site that no one goes to is it really listed at all?
knowschad
Geocacher

PostPosted: Tue Dec 21, 2010 3:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

speedysk1 wrote:
bflentje wrote:
speedysk1 wrote:
Wow...Next we will have coffins disguised as geocaches placed in parks.

This is COMPLETELY uncalled for as my geocache followed every rule and guideline available at the time through geocaching.com. Only I can make hay out of my problems.

Laughing Sorry couldn't help that one. I should have timed how fast it took you to reply. Wink

7 minutes.
bflentje
Geocacher

PostPosted: Tue Dec 21, 2010 4:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

speedysk1 wrote:
bflentje wrote:
speedysk1 wrote:
Wow...Next we will have coffins disguised as geocaches placed in parks.

This is COMPLETELY uncalled for as my geocache followed every rule and guideline available at the time through geocaching.com. Only I can make hay out of my problems.

Laughing Sorry couldn't help that one. I should have timed how fast it took you to reply. Wink

Laughing I'z razzing you. Though I did follow the rules.. Wink
Pear Head
Past MnGCA President

PostPosted: Tue Dec 21, 2010 5:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

speedysk1 wrote:
He repeated Garmin doesn't want to tell people what's right or wrong and other comments like that. Let the "community" decide what's good or bad.

What's interesting is I have only heard one "good" argument for Garmin's site - and that's that this is new (serious) competition for Groundspeak and is probably spurring them on to make changes of their own.

What I've also heard is a limitless string of ways that the new Garmin site is "bad".

Seems to me like the "community" has spoken but Garmin's not listening.
kc9gbo
Geocacher

PostPosted: Tue Dec 21, 2010 5:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pear Head wrote:
speedysk1 wrote:
He repeated Garmin doesn't want to tell people what's right or wrong and other comments like that. Let the "community" decide what's good or bad.

What's interesting is I have only heard one "good" argument for Garmin's site - and that's that this is new (serious) competition for Groundspeak and is probably spurring them on to make changes of their own.

What I've also heard is a limitless string of ways that the new Garmin site is "bad".

Where is the darn like button???
IBcrashen
Geocacher

PostPosted: Tue Dec 21, 2010 6:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kc9gbo wrote:
Pear Head wrote:
speedysk1 wrote:

I believe its in your pocket book. Its in mine. The next gps I buy will not be a garmin.
speedysk1
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Tue Dec 21, 2010 6:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pear Head wrote:
speedysk1 wrote:

Yea, I think this could blow up in Garmin's face. I'm all for them promoting geocaching, but they are going about it in the most backward way possible. It's the most half-hearted attempt I've seen in a while. It's just so they can say, Hey look we we did. But since they keep saying they don't want to maintain this and this should be all about the "community" they don't have any reason to maintain and update the site. Sounds like Garmin and Groundspeak's relationship has soured quite a bit or is no longer existent.

I still haven't figured out what's in it for Garmin? Having their own listing site, won't drive GPS sales so that can't be it. My guess is they want to create more "accessories" like chirp type things. However Groundspeak would want to make sure they were open standards, something that Garmin wouldn't want. Just a guess though. AFAIK, there are no other manufactures that support the ANT protocol used by chirp, so it's a fairly closed system. Pure speculation though.
spinowner
Geocacher

PostPosted: Wed Dec 22, 2010 7:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

IBcrashen wrote:
kc9gbo wrote:
Pear Head wrote:
speedysk1 wrote:

I believe its in your pocket book. Its in mine. The next gps I buy will not be a garmin.

At this point I am of the same mind. Too bad, because I hear and read better things about their receivers than I do about other brands.
Red_Devil35
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Wed Dec 22, 2010 8:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am almost tempted to start posting non-existent caches. Heck, I could put one in the middle of the Pentagon if I felt like it, except whomever looked for it would probably get arrested. Twisted Evil
But that would be just like posting a cache that was refused by GC.com because it is too close to another one. Wink
bflentje
Geocacher

PostPosted: Wed Dec 22, 2010 8:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Red_Devil35 wrote:
I am almost tempted to start posting non-existent caches. Heck, I could put one in the middle of the Pentagon if I felt like it, except whomever looked for it would probably get arrested. Twisted Evil
But that would be just like posting a cache that was refused by GC.com because it is too close to another one. Wink

Why don't we all just continue to play as we've been playing and it will eventually turn into a non-issue.

And not buying a Garmin isn't going to solve the problem either.
spinowner
Geocacher

PostPosted: Wed Dec 22, 2010 9:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

bflentje wrote:

That's true. Nevertheless, I don't think I care to give my business to a company that would promote something like this.
bflentje
Geocacher

PostPosted: Wed Dec 22, 2010 12:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

spinowner wrote:
bflentje wrote:

That's true. Nevertheless, I don't think I care to give my business to a company that would promote something like this.

True, very true.

I used to boycott movies that featured actors that I despised politically or socially. I soon figured out that there wasn't a movie out that I could watch. I enjoy good movies so had to end the boycott.

I suspect that until the competition makes a superior unit that there's a good chance you'll be owning a Garmin. Or, perhaps you're stronger than me and will hold true to your words.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    MnGCA Forum Index -> Geocaching Websites All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
Page 5 of 5

Jump to: