MnGCA Home MnGCA
Minnesota Geocaching Association

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   User listUser list   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

opencaching.com
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
WestSideDaddy
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Tue Dec 07, 2010 11:34 am    Post subject: opencaching.com Reply with quote

Anyone looking at the new opencaching.com site from garmin yet? I think they just went live in beta (was down yesterday).
timewellspent
Geocacher

PostPosted: Tue Dec 07, 2010 12:21 pm    Post subject: Re: opencaching.com Reply with quote

WestSideDaddy wrote:
Anyone looking at the new opencaching.com site from garmin yet? I think they just went live in beta (was down yesterday).

I took a look. Just place and go with no review process? Can't wait for caches to show up feet from caches already in play. Also, coords for caches are displayed even if you aren't signed in. Caches placed in parks that require a permit is going to give caching a bad name. All in all, Can you say can of worms?
WestSideDaddy
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Tue Dec 07, 2010 12:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can understand (sort of) their idea of not limiting features and functionality for paid members. But no reviewers was a bit of a surprise.
Grey Wolf and Wild Rice
Geocacher

PostPosted: Tue Dec 07, 2010 10:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I reported the email as SPAM.
Pear Head
Past MnGCA President

PostPosted: Tue Dec 07, 2010 10:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Grey Wolf and Wild Rice wrote:

Nice.

The problem with not reviewing caches (and this comes off a little odd given my new duties, but as a cacher with a deep interest in caching in the state and regulations with various entities I say it anyway) is that we're going to end up with a bunch of caches in off-limits areas or (worse yet) in areas that require things such as registration.

Places like Three Rivers will suddenly loose their ability to regulate what's going on in their parks, and I'm afraid that one or more districts will consider shutting the gates to caching as a way of fixing the problem that will be perceived as "cachers that can't play by the rules".
knowschad
Geocacher

PostPosted: Wed Dec 08, 2010 9:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Email?

I learned about it from the Groundspeak forums, where there has been some rather intensive discussions.

I see this morning that WestSideDaddy registered a cache there since I looked yesterday, making three in the metro so far. There are two down south, west of Rochester that are hidden by someone that seems to be a developer for the site (my guess).

At this point, there is still a lot of functionality missing that will be required for it to be any real competition, but the existence of an API will give them an edge. In fact, just yesterday, Groundspeak announced that they will be providing an API to the public.

I have to agree with Pear Head that this could be a very bad thing for geocaching in general. Yeah, we've had a couple of other listing sites around for quite a while, as well as letterboxing, but none of them have really provided any real competition.

This will be interesting to watch, in any case!
bflentje
Geocacher

PostPosted: Wed Dec 08, 2010 10:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

knowschad wrote:
Email?

I learned about it from the Groundspeak forums, where there has been some rather intensive discussions.

I see this morning that WestSideDaddy registered a cache there since I looked yesterday, making three in the metro so far. There are two down south, west of Rochester that are hidden by someone that seems to be a developer for the site (my guess).

At this point, there is still a lot of functionality missing that will be required for it to be any real competition, but the existence of an API will give them an edge. In fact, just yesterday, Groundspeak announced that they will be providing an API to the public.

I have to agree with Pear Head that this could be a very bad thing for geocaching in general. Yeah, we've had a couple of other listing sites around for quite a while, as well as letterboxing, but none of them have really provided any real competition.

This will be interesting to watch, in any case!

Not sure where I stand. I like having everything centralized in one spot at geocaching.com but then I am against monopolies.
WestSideDaddy
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Wed Dec 08, 2010 11:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I did register on the site so I could lock in my username and I did cross-post one of my caches just to see how it worked.

I was really surprised about the no reviewer thing.

I'm not all that impressed with the site myself. They are tying to be all fancy ajax and smart phone app-ish in their design, but it leave a lot of uncertainty if the site is loading a new page or just sitting there.

I do like the more open API using OAUth so that anyone can develop apps and interfaces, but I agree there's a lot of work to go to actually compete.

All the bells and whistles aside, building a geocache registry site isn't that complex, an experienced developer could write it in a week, but the big thing is the marketing of it. Getting people to come and start listing sites. When you have GC with millions of users and caches, it's hard to get a critical mass of users to switch.

If you can appeal to a niche (like chirp-ers) then you have something to work from.

If nothing else, hopefully it will spur groundspeak to make more improvements.
timewellspent
Geocacher

PostPosted: Wed Dec 08, 2010 11:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

WestSideDaddy wrote:
If nothing else, hopefully it will spur groundspeak to make more improvements.

Is that why they are going down for 6 hours next week?
spinowner
Geocacher

PostPosted: Wed Dec 08, 2010 11:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd like to know one advantage of publishing a cache on a site other than our friendly monopoly. And by advantage I mean something that has a net positive impact that Groundspeak doesn't offer. Anyone?
bflentje
Geocacher

PostPosted: Wed Dec 08, 2010 12:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

spinowner wrote:
I'd like to know one advantage of publishing a cache on a site other than our friendly monopoly. And by advantage I mean something that has a net positive impact that Groundspeak doesn't offer. Anyone?

At this point, I can't think of any. Therefore, I am sticking with the monopoly until there's a viable alternative.
knowschad
Geocacher

PostPosted: Wed Dec 08, 2010 1:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If the new site is smart, they will very quickly come up with a workable solution for group caching. That is something that an awful lot of cachers have been wanting for a long time, but a need that Groundspeak has continually refused to address.
Red_Devil35
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Wed Dec 08, 2010 2:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

knowschad wrote:
If the new site is smart, they will very quickly come up with a workable solution for group caching. That is something that an awful lot of cachers have been wanting for a long time, but a need that Groundspeak has continually refused to address.

mygeocachingprofile.com has been working on a program to help with that. They are going to call it 'Caching with Friends'. I think it would be a great thing.
knowschad
Geocacher

PostPosted: Wed Dec 08, 2010 2:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Red_Devil35 wrote:
knowschad wrote:

mygeocachingprofile.com has been working on a program to help with that. They are going to call it 'Caching with Friends'. I think it would be a great thing.

Ahh, I've been seeing that site's name here and there recently, but haven't checked them out yet. I will do that!

Left you a PM on the GC forums, by the way.
Red_Devil35
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Wed Dec 08, 2010 2:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

knowschad wrote:
Red_Devil35 wrote:
knowschad wrote:

Ahh, I've been seeing that site's name here and there recently, but haven't checked them out yet. I will do that!

Left you a PM on the GC forums, by the way.

Uh oh.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    MnGCA Forum Index -> Geocaching Websites All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 1 of 5

Jump to: