MnGCA Home MnGCA
Minnesota Geocaching Association

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   User listUser list   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Request for help from Staples, MN

Post new topic   Reply to topic    MnGCA Forum Index -> MnGCA Volunteer Opportunities
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mrs. Mizzou
Past MnGCA President

PostPosted: Fri Nov 19, 2010 5:51 pm    Post subject: Request for help from Staples, MN Reply with quote

I received the following request for help from our membership:

Quote:
I am the park naturalist at Lake Carlos State Park. I have been contacted by community education of Staples, MN to help set up a geocaching program there. I need an area volunteer to help make this a great event!

I asked for a little more background, deadlines, scope of plans - just so our considerate volunteers have an idea before they jump in . . .

Quote:
Currently nothing is planned but the city of Staples would like one instructional class covering the basics (what is geocaching, how does it work, ect.) and one workshop where people will learn how to set up and maintain their own caches. I may be able to cover the basics one day and then use your help with the workshop. I believe the idea currently is to leave Staples with a program that they can maintain for community education classes. Sounds like these would be summer programs. Thank you for all that the Minnesota Geocaching Association has done to promote outdoor recreation in Minnesota!!

Alexander Watson
Area Naturalist
Lake Carlos State Park
alexander.watson (at) state (dot) mn (dot) us

If anyone is able to help, please feel free to contact Alex Watson directly.
Mrs. Mizzou
Past MnGCA President

PostPosted: Tue Nov 23, 2010 7:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I received a little more info from Staples:

Quote:
Greetings All!

My name is Chris Etzler. Iím the Community Education Director for Staples Motley Schools and Alex youíve pretty much described what we would like to do here. There is a small community group that has recently taken up this activity, but honestly it is a relatively unknown activity to many in the community. In fact at a recent meeting I was at there were about 22 people in the room and someone mentioned geochaching and only two people were able to tell what it is!

As we explore new activities to offer through Community Education I see this as a perfect opportunity. City of Staples Park and Rec Director Kevin Grondahl has an excellent parks system, the enthusiasm and the willingness to partner to educate and share this fun, healthy and exciting activity with more community members.

Alex and TeriÖ Iíd like to move forward on this project. Alex you suggested you could possibly provide the basic class? If this were to work for you, when would you suggest we do this? Spring, Summer? I know itís a ways off to think Spring/Summer, but we are in the process of putting together our catalog for Spring now. So if we are looking at a Spring date we should have it in our catalog.

I need to check on the due date for the catalog but I think itís December 9th. If we were to move ahead I also would need to describe the class as well as determine costs.

I welcome any thoughts or ideas.

Thank you for your assistance on this!!

Chris Etzler
Director
Staples Motley Community Education
400 2nd St NE, Staples, MN 56479
cetzler (at) isd2170 (dot) k12 (dot) mn (dot) us

I also have phone numbers for Mr. Etzler for whomever is available to help.
Mrs. Mizzou
Past MnGCA President

PostPosted: Thu Dec 02, 2010 8:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am just following up to see in anyone is able to help out with this project.
Jam3s
Geocacher

PostPosted: Sun Dec 12, 2010 11:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was reading this and also the Maddens posting and is this commercial as well? The community education department is asking for someone to teach like an intermediate geocaching course (how to create, hide, etc); are they going to charge for the course?

I know that in this area they have GPS courses and such, but they charge a nice fee of around $20 - 30 to register for the classes. Are they looking to make a buck?

It is a long ways for me to drive to teach a class, but I just thought that I would check.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    MnGCA Forum Index -> MnGCA Volunteer Opportunities All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: