MnGCA Home MnGCA
Minnesota Geocaching Association

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   User listUser list   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Arlington TX

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Red_Devil35
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Mon Nov 22, 2010 8:39 am    Post subject: Arlington TX Reply with quote

http://www.nbcdfw.com/news/local-beat/High-Tech-Game-Leads-to-Bomb-Scare-109005394.html

The article is actually kind of amusing, if only for the inaccuracies.
Moe the Sleaze
Geocacher

PostPosted: Mon Nov 22, 2010 10:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As I read the first sentence, I thought. "It's about Cookie!"
Arcticabn
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Mon Nov 22, 2010 11:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmm, I don't know where to start. But, even I don't cache with that many GSPrs! Laughing
Rustynails
Geocacher

PostPosted: Mon Nov 22, 2010 11:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No balance to the story, only negative.
Red_Devil35
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Mon Nov 22, 2010 1:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Moe the Sleaze wrote:
As I read the first sentence, I thought. "It's about Cookie!"

Ha! Very Happy
speedysk1
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Mon Nov 22, 2010 3:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The author certainly reported only the facts on that story. Wink Seriously that should be been a Op Ed vs a news story. Rolling Eyes
bflentje
Geocacher

PostPosted: Mon Nov 22, 2010 4:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am the first to admit that I struggle with written communications but this piece was terribly written.
MNMizzou
Geocacher

PostPosted: Tue Nov 23, 2010 12:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sadly folks this is what the future of journalism is. You have a major media outlet in KXAS (The NBC station in Dallas) trying to figure out how to make money off this new fangled web thingy. Well hiring more reporters to fill it would actually cost them money, so if you look closely this is what you get with this article:

"Bruce Felps owns and operates East Dallas Times, an online community news outlet serving the White Rock Lake area. His favorite games do not involve public safety agencies. They probably should sometimes..."

Judging from his writing I would guess the guy failed most writing classes, and didn't even sign up for journalism 101. But in this brave new world of ad revenue drying up and everyone convinced that the only place people get news is the internet, this is what you get, some moronic d-bag who can say his "articles" have appeared on NBC Dallas' website, even though he lacks any journalistic skills what so ever, such as fact checking and obtaining actual quotes from agencies he is talking about. Instead we'll just "guess" what they were probably saying. NBC Dallas gets "content" for their website, at I'm guessing a cost of zero, cause if they actually paid him for that article I will seriously never watch NBC Nightly News again. (KXAS last I knew was an NBC O&O, meaning they are owned and operated by NBC, not a third party like Hubbard) This is what you get in the new world of "free" news. As is often said, you get what you pay for.
RudeRat
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Wed Nov 24, 2010 6:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If he lived in NYC rather than Texas we’d get this:

The north end of Times Square was evacuated and shut down for about 90 minutes Friday afternoon after a “suspicious package” was reported just before 1 p.m. It turned out to be two packages — a green-and-white canvas cooler and a green shopping bag. Officers from the Emergency Service Unit brought their high-tech equipment to bear. “The X-ray came back inconclusive on the cooler,” said Paul J. Browne, the chief police spokesman. So the bomb squad technicians in their astronautlike suits went to work. After operating on the packages, they determined that the canvas cooler contained bottled water, and the shopping bag held books and a gift package wrapped in pink tissue paper.

Seriously, people, shop, drink your water, knock yourselves out, have fun, just don’t waste public safety resources. Thank you

Wink
Post new topic   Reply to topic    MnGCA Forum Index -> Media Relations All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: