MnGCA Home MnGCA
Minnesota Geocaching Association

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   User listUser list   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Mississippi River Challenge
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Moe the Sleaze
Geocacher

PostPosted: Wed Jun 16, 2004 6:16 am    Post subject: Mississippi River Challenge Reply with quote

The Mississippi River has always fascinated me, even before I moved to the Twin Cities and it became a daily part of my life. Most of the caches I have hidden are near the banks of the river.

To further show my appreciation for old man river, I just signed up for the Mississippi River Challenge, a two day, 44 mile paddle from the Coon Rapids Dam to Grey Cloud Island. The event is a fund raiser for Friends of the Mississippi River.

I know there are other paddlers in MnGCA. I think it would be a blast if a bunch of us could do this together. We could even register as "Team MnGCA".

Also, it you are interested in making a tax deductible donation to this organization, pledges can be made online at the first link above. Feel free to pledge to "Chuck King". Very Happy
Centris
Past MnGCA Chair

PostPosted: Wed Jun 16, 2004 6:34 am    Post subject: Re: Mississippi River Challenge Reply with quote

Moe the Sleaze wrote:
The event is a fund raiser for Friends of the Mississippi River.

A fine organization!! Paul is doing his Eagle project through them (if it finally gets approved by committee).
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
TwentySeven
Geocacher

PostPosted: Wed Jun 16, 2004 8:05 am    Post subject: Re: Mississippi River Challenge Reply with quote

Moe the Sleaze wrote:
I know there are other paddlers in MnGCA. I think it would be a blast if a bunch of us could do this together. We could even register as "Team MnGCA".

DAMN! I work every OTHER weekend and THAT is the weekend I work! Mad I also work the weekend of the camping trip in the Iron range. I would have loved to join you Moe. I have always wanted to take the canoe on the mighty Miss.

Shane
Realtorfh
Geocacher

PostPosted: Mon Jul 19, 2004 11:48 pm    Post subject: Mississippi Weekend Caching event. Reply with quote

Wabasha area below lake pepin is a wonderful area for a weekend getaway. There are a couple of really good sandy beaches and there are always boaters around, or if you preffer you can hide in the backwaters.
Centris
Past MnGCA Chair

PostPosted: Tue Aug 03, 2004 12:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just went and pledged my $$..... I looked down the paddler list to see if there were any other names I recognized, but only found Chuck. I was sure that a few of the other kayak guys would be there (Chad?), but I didn't see any that I know.

Good luck next weekend Moe..... Very Happy
Make us all proud.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Marsha and Silent Bob
Past MnGCA President

PostPosted: Wed Aug 04, 2004 7:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Centris wrote:
I just went and pledged my $$..... Good luck next weekend Moe..... Very Happy Make us all proud.

I had pledged money almost immediately and had spoken to Chuck about it at one of the breakfasts. He was trying to get my fat butt in a kayak to do some paddling too! Hah, yeah right Smile

Good luck Chuck!
sui generis
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Wed Aug 04, 2004 8:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
He was trying to get my fat butt in a kayak to do some paddling too

I have a shoe horn you can borrow.... Wink
I am amazed by how many people harp on the need to speak and write English in this country while exhibiting a fundamental lack of skills in the areas of spelling and sentence composition. Would this be irony, hypocrisy, or both?
Marsha and Silent Bob
Past MnGCA President

PostPosted: Wed Aug 04, 2004 8:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

sui generis wrote:
I have a shoe horn you can borrow.... Wink

Do you have a gallon of pig fat too?
Moe the Sleaze
Geocacher

PostPosted: Wed Aug 04, 2004 9:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Marsha and Silent Bob wrote:
He was trying to get my fat butt in a kayak to do some paddling too! Hah, yeah right Smile

Lots of weight down low makes for a very stable kayak. You're a natural! Laughing

Many thanks to those of you who have pledged in my name! Cool If any one else chooses to do so, you have until Friday p.m. Please let me know that you did so I can be sure to get credited.
Marsha and Silent Bob
Past MnGCA President

PostPosted: Wed Aug 04, 2004 9:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Moe the Sleaze wrote:
Lots of weight down low makes for a very stable kayak. You're a natural! Laughing

Please don't be confused. This weight down low took many years of hardwork. Hours upon hours of training at the local BW3 and McDonalds.
sui generis
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Wed Aug 04, 2004 1:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Do you have a gallon of pig fat too?

As a matter of fact I do, unfortunately it is all subcutaneous...
I am amazed by how many people harp on the need to speak and write English in this country while exhibiting a fundamental lack of skills in the areas of spelling and sentence composition. Would this be irony, hypocrisy, or both?
Moe the Sleaze
Geocacher

PostPosted: Mon Aug 09, 2004 6:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks once again to those of you who donated money to this worthy cause.

I had a great time last weekend. It only rained on us for a short time on Saturday and Sunday was fabulous. A bigger problem than the rain on Saturday was the very strong head-winds. I know of at least one canoe that got blown right over while passing under the Lowery bridge!

All the way down the river, I was remembering caches I had found.

I've posted a few photos from the weekend Arrow here.
Moe the Sleaze
Geocacher

PostPosted: Wed Sep 22, 2004 4:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I received the following in an email from Friends of the Mississippi River...

MISSISSIPPI RIVER CHALLENGE TO APPEAR ON "MINNESOTA BOUND"

The HealthPartners Mississippi River Challenge will be the focus of an upcoming "Minnesota Bound" segment! This level of attention for the first year of the event demonstrates that the Challenge is on its way to becoming a signature event for FMR and for the Twin Cities. For footage of the event and interviews with participants, tune in to KARE-11 at 10:45 p.m. on Sunday, September 26th. The segment will also air at 6:30 p.m. on Saturday, October 2nd.
TwentySeven
Geocacher

PostPosted: Thu Feb 24, 2005 7:27 pm    Post subject: 2005 Mississippi River challenge Reply with quote

Moe,
I was going to PM you, but figured to get it out in the open. I have my paddeling partner and I see the registration is open now.
What is our team name so I can register properly. "Team MNGCA"? or just "MNGCA". I have to work that weekend, but the desire to "Play in the river" out weighs my work ethic! Smile
Shane

MS River Challenge Hompage
Moe the Sleaze
Geocacher

PostPosted: Thu Feb 24, 2005 8:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We need at least four people if we are going to have a team. I would propose "Team MnGCA". Any interest, you other paddlers? Towlebooth? Jillibean? Team Hooligan? Rouster? It'll be a blast.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    MnGCA Forum Index -> Non Geocaching All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: