MnGCA Home MnGCA
Minnesota Geocaching Association

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   User listUser list   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Zip Code searches

View previous topic :: View next topic  
commander & chief
Geocacher

PostPosted: Wed Nov 10, 2010 9:36 pm    Post subject: Zip Code searches Reply with quote

While on vacation in Wi. after the newest update to the GC.com website, we noticed that when doing searches based on a Zip Code that for some, the nearest Caches are not even in the city for that Zip Code. Anyone else seeing this problem????
kc9gbo
Geocacher

PostPosted: Thu Nov 11, 2010 7:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Someone on the Wisconsin Geocaching forums has also had the same problem, but not everyone is affected.
eagleyes
Geocacher

PostPosted: Thu Nov 11, 2010 9:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I typed in the zip for one of our homes and it is fine- when I typed in the zip for our other home, the caches that showed up were in the next town about 20 miles away. The only way I could get the caches for that zip was to type in the city name and MN in either the address line or zip line, but just typing in the zip isn't working-
sparkyfry
Geocacher

PostPosted: Thu Nov 11, 2010 2:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That could be a problem for caches like this one:
http://coord.info/GC1DYF6
knowschad
Geocacher

PostPosted: Sat Nov 13, 2010 8:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I worked a bit with eagleyes on this one, with the zip code for Ely (55731). Geocaching.com simply uses the Google API to search by zip codes, so I bypassed their site entirely, and tried searching from Google itself.

Search for 55731 and hit the resulting text link for Ely, and it will put you right square in the center of town. But... hit Search from that map (with the 55731 still showing up in the text box) and it will move you about 20 miles west, near Trout Lake. Likewise, if on the search results page, instead of using the text link for Ely, MN 55731, you click on the displayed map thumbnail or the map link, and it would again put you near Trout Lake, north of Tower.

That was a couple of days ago. I see now that they have fixed the map thumbnail, but not the maps link in the upper left, and not the Search Map button on the map page itself.
knowschad
Geocacher

PostPosted: Sat Nov 13, 2010 9:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've reported the Ely problem to Google and have had a confirmation that they will be looking into it.
eagleyes
Geocacher

PostPosted: Sat Nov 13, 2010 11:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you- I think this is not just my problem- when I search other sites between here and Fl. Some work and some don't. Well, I am caching around the house this snowy day without a GPS looking for lost treasures. Like missing socks and shoes, etc. Laughing
Manfromwillow
Geocacher

PostPosted: Sat Nov 13, 2010 4:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yep its not just g/c i was looking at radio shack and did a store finder search by zip code and it came up with the same location as g/c
Post new topic   Reply to topic    MnGCA Forum Index -> Geocaching Websites All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: