MnGCA Home MnGCA
Minnesota Geocaching Association

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   User listUser list   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Your thoughts please on spoilers...

View previous topic :: View next topic  
eagleyes
Geocacher

PostPosted: Sat Jul 31, 2004 6:25 pm    Post subject: Your thoughts please on spoilers... Reply with quote

Someone placed a spoiler picture on one of my caches that showed the person exactly at the cache. The cache is located in a place that even someone looking in on the web could find without a GPS if in that town. I deleted the picture and got a reply from the owner to unarchive the picture so they could keep the credit for the find- however they were willing to delete the picture only. So my question is this- as owner of a cache shouldn't you have a right to delete a spoiler if it leaves no doubt as to where the cache is? Isn't the idea behind geocaching to find hidden treasures with a GPS? If spoilers are allowed to be so specific- then why not just put on the cache page exactly where the cache is- forget about a GPS find. Well, let me know.
Arcticabn
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Sat Jul 31, 2004 7:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I tend to agree with you. I don't mind pictures being posted of the cache container or of the general area. Unless the container is what makes the hunt difficult. Say the container is a hollowed out brick in a wall. I don't want the container pictured on the web. So I agree with deleating the picture. Not the credit just the picture.
Pear Head
Past MnGCA President

PostPosted: Sat Jul 31, 2004 7:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Your thoughts please on spoilers... Reply with quote

eagleyes wrote:
So my question is this- as owner of a cache shouldn't you have a right to delete a spoiler if it leaves no doubt as to where the cache is?

Yes, I would think that you would have the right to delete something like what you described. If you had intended to put a picture showing where the cache is located then you would have done so yourself.

I don't see a problem with finders posting pictures of themselves at the cache if they've carried the cache a ways away (assuming the container is non-unique - an ammo can or something) or if the picture doesn't give anything away.

I'd rather not see people post any additional information about my caches that I didn't put in the page. My pages aren't usually "missing" that information, rather I leave it out on purpose. I want them to figure certain things out on their own.

For example (theoretical), which side of the river is the cache on. If I had wanted you to know it's on the NE side I would have written it. I didn't write it because I want you to figure it out for yourself. I do have a cache that a number of people picked the wrong side of the river. That's part of what makes up the experience.

eagleyes wrote:
I deleted the picture and got a reply from the owner to unarchive the picture so they could keep the credit for the find- however they were willing to delete the picture only.

You don't indicate if you emailed the owner of the log about the problem or not. I've learned (through experience, primarily from you Wink ) that it's probably best to email the owner of a log that you have a problem with their log.

My opinion anyway...
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
King Boreas
Geocacher

PostPosted: Sat Jul 31, 2004 7:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I stopped posting spoilers when my caches started disappearing. If someone posts one, I immediately e-mail asking them to delete it.

I know that some people aren't online much, but if there's no response in a day, I delete the post, send an e-mail explaining why, and tell them to *find* the cache, without the photo.
KC0GRN
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Sat Jul 31, 2004 10:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I used to take pictures of caches. Well I still do even of the hiding spot for my own records, but I stopped posting pictures much at all on gc.com. Now if I do, usually it's either to show a trashed cache, or a picture of the view, or just something interesting I found along the way.
DigiFerret
Geocacher

PostPosted: Wed Aug 04, 2004 1:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've also experienced this. it has usually been with someone just starting to cache. I even had one cacher whose log was specific directions to one of my caches. I just delete the log and send an email explaining why, and that they should correct their "mistake". I've never had anyone get mad at me for doing so, either.
jaywc7
Geocacher

PostPosted: Mon Sep 13, 2004 2:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with you EagleEyes. It takes most of the fun out if there is a photo that gives it away. They should understand this...
Post new topic   Reply to topic    MnGCA Forum Index -> General All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: