MnGCA Home MnGCA
Minnesota Geocaching Association

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   User listUser list   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Fall Colors

View previous topic :: View next topic  
GeoPierce
Geocacher

PostPosted: Wed Sep 29, 2010 1:27 pm    Post subject: Fall Colors Reply with quote

Calling all geocachers! I'm on the hunt for fall colors. Can anyone tell me if any parks or areas in the southwest metro are in full color yet? Bonus points if there is a paved or gravel trail. My wife is looking for some nice scenery to do a photoshoot. I've checked the following resources but I'm not familiar enough with some of the parks to know if they would work:

http://minneapolis.about.com/od/environment/tp/fallcolor.htm
http://www.dnr.state.mn.us/fall_colors/index.html#metro

My first thought was the Minnesota Landscape Arboretum but they require photographers to pay for a permit.
All ideas are welcome but would prefer Minnetonka, Hopkins, Eden Prairie or Chanhassen. Thanks!
bflentje
Geocacher

PostPosted: Wed Sep 29, 2010 2:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Fall Colors Reply with quote

GeoPierce wrote:
My first thought was the Minnesota Landscape Arboretum but they require photographers to pay for a permit.

Are you kidding? Jeez.
Rustynails
Geocacher

PostPosted: Wed Sep 29, 2010 2:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I was in this area ( http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.aspx?guid=9de7dae5-e2a8-4941-9db0-4ca413e4222d)last year it was very nice. I don't know how it is now. Nice trail too.
15Tango
Past MnGCA Chair

PostPosted: Wed Sep 29, 2010 6:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was at Big Marine Park Reserve on the 19th and there was a bit of yellow and orange, plus the maples were all red. It might be worth a visit now - requires a Washington Co. Park parking pass ($5 daily, $25 annual, but a vet with a DD214 can usually talk them into a free day pass even if it's been more than the required 90 days - it was a Washington County Deputy Sheriff that ok'ed my free pass when I was there).
jrest
Geocacher

PostPosted: Thu Sep 30, 2010 8:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I noticed more color on the trees in my neck of the woods which is not far from Gale Woods Farm, part of Three Rivers on county 110 between St. Boni and Mound (see GC15GE3). Gravel trails out there, some along the animal pens, others back in the woods, some along the lake. Might also check out Minnewasta, off highway 41, south of highway 7 (see GC25VC6). Maybe even Carver Park, see GC20540, just not real sure what the leaves are doing there yet, but lots of both paved and gravel trails out there... Have fun.
GeoPierce
Geocacher

PostPosted: Thu Sep 30, 2010 8:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for all the ideas! I thought of Minnewashta Regional Park on 41 and actually emailed someone who was there in the past few days but he said there's not much color yet. I remember finding a cache there in the fall and the oak trees looked very nice.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    MnGCA Forum Index -> Non Geocaching All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: