MnGCA Home MnGCA
Minnesota Geocaching Association

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   User listUser list   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Garmin Oregon 450 on sale at REI for 249.99

View previous topic :: View next topic  
DeltaMikeAlpha
Geocacher

PostPosted: Wed Aug 25, 2010 6:06 pm    Post subject: Garmin Oregon 450 on sale at REI for 249.99 Reply with quote

Labor Day sale Aug 27 thru Sept 6
m&tcacheseekers
Geocacher

PostPosted: Thu Aug 26, 2010 11:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

is this sale in stores only or will it be available online also.
how is this one compared to the 400t
DeltaMikeAlpha
Geocacher

PostPosted: Thu Aug 26, 2010 1:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I haven't looked but I assume it is available both online and in the stores. I received a flier in the mail about the sale.

The 400 comes without maps; The 400T has maps installed.

I already have the 400 which I bought back in April so I haven't checked to see if the 400T is on sale as well but not advertised in the flier. So far, the 400 fits my needs but considering my previous GPSr was a GPS72, anything would be an improvement. I should note that I am currently having an issue with accessing an SD card in my 400. It's an issue I still have to resolve.
MNMizzou
Geocacher

PostPosted: Fri Aug 27, 2010 1:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

With your SD card issue, call Garmin's tech support, they are great! I can't remember the number off the top of my head, but if you see a 913 area code that's the right one. They may have an 800 number, but I think it is faster to call the 913 number, I think you get a real person who transfers you to the right department. Or at least they used to, and you end up with one of the Kansas City based people too.
15Tango
MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Tue Aug 31, 2010 12:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just took advantage of this deal and I've already found a few caches with my new 450. It's nice to have everything on one device - I'm not using the GPS to get to the cache, then digging out my phone to look up what I'm supposed to be looking for.

I'm still learning a few things that are different from my 60CSx, and if anyone has figured out any time-saving techniques for doing things, I'd appreciate knowing them. It already took me a while to figure out how to delete caches. The owner's manual leaves a lot to be desired (and in 6 different languages!).

Also, has anyone tried any of the third party maps, and if so, are they worth downloading?
qwerty2582
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Tue Aug 31, 2010 3:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Regarding maps:

http://garmin.na1400.info/routable.php

This site pulls from openstreetmap.org and generates the IMG files required for your Garmin. If you're looking for street maps, this has been quite successful for me on my Oregon 300. While somedays I'm screaming at it (you get what you pay for), I'm typically pleasantly surprised by the accuracy and completeness of it.

If you only have a basemap and want to look at streets, it's worth a shot.
Rustynails
Geocacher

PostPosted: Tue Aug 31, 2010 6:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

15Tango wrote:
I'm still learning a few things that are different from my 60CSx, and if anyone has figured out any time-saving techniques for doing things, I'd appreciate knowing them. It already took me a while to figure out how to delete caches. The owner's manual leaves a lot to be desired (and in 6 different languages!).

KredEp gave me some great advice on uploading field notes. It's a great time saver when logging your finds. Just go to your geocaching.com profile and click get field notes then select garmin. Then get your file and upload your visits. Very nice. Very Happy
jrest
Geocacher

PostPosted: Wed Sep 01, 2010 7:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oregon wiki is a helpful resource, I use this every now and again when I foreget something or try to figure something out... Congrats on the new 450
Post new topic   Reply to topic    MnGCA Forum Index -> Buy / Sell / Trade All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: