MnGCA Home MnGCA
Minnesota Geocaching Association

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   User listUser list   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

video to DVD

View previous topic :: View next topic  
tomslusher
Geocacher

PostPosted: Sat Jul 10, 2004 11:43 am    Post subject: video to DVD Reply with quote

There are some pretty technically advanced people around here so I thought I would ask this question here first. I got some 8mm videos that I want to transfer to DVD. I have a DVD burner and I assume I need some type of video input card or something like that and a program to capture the video somehow.

Does anyone have any experience with this type of thing?

Thanks,

tomslusher
KC0GRN
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Sat Jul 10, 2004 10:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have some slight experience in the subject. And yse, you'd need a video card that will accept at least an RCA video in, they're not too expensive these days (thouhg again, the more spendy it is, the better the quality).

Video capture software most likely will come with the card, and there are a few freeware/open source alternatives if you want to mess around with figuring out how they work.
rickrich
Geocacher

PostPosted: Sun Jul 11, 2004 12:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Your solutions fall into three categories, in increasing order of hassle:

1) Send them to a professional Hi8 -> DVD service ($15-$25 per tape)
2) Get a MacIntosh (rumored to be the best at this sort of thing)
3) Buy a PC video capture card with hardware MPEG-2 encoding ~$150
4) Buy a PC video capture card with software MPEG-2 encoding ~$30

You will also need a crap load of disk space, a really fast CPU (for realtime software MPEG-2) and I hope your time is free.

I tried a bunch of different Windoze DVD authoring software a few months ago, with a dumb video capture card. The MPEG-2 datastreams I got out of the "real-time" software encoders on Windoze were all crap. Each package had some fatal problem (poor video quality, random system crashes, audio skewing out of sync with the video). I made a lot of DVD coasters before I came to the conclusion that there was no Windoze DVD authoring software in the consumer price range that would do the job properly.

I ended up just capturing raw video/audio on the kids Windoze box (where the TV card is) and moving it over to my linux box in order to create a proper MPEG-2 datastream with high video quality and no audio skewing problems. My linux box doesn't have enough CPU horsepower to do realtime software MPEG-2 encoding, so moving the dumb video card there would have been pointless. Of course, this meant the conversion was not done anywhere near real time, and I needed even more disk space and time to author the DVD. I learned way more about MPEG2 than I ever wanted to know when I started. But I got to see what a well authored DVD using a two-pass MPEG-2 encoder should look like.

I came away from doing one HI8 to DVD like that with the opinion that it took too much of my time to do the 30 tapes that I have. I either needed to buy a video card with hardware MPEG-2 encoding (real time) like a PVR-250/350 and put it on my linux box, or better yet just pay a professional service to author the DVDs for me using a decent two-pass MPEG-2 encoder and a proven workflow process.

Which reminds me that I still have the 29 tapes to send out for conversion.
LanceVE
Geocacher

PostPosted: Mon Jul 12, 2004 9:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well I have #2 - A Mac with a DVD burner..... It takes about 10 hours to transfer a 2 hour tape to DVD. Around 3 to spool the raw footage, edit and layout the DVD, and the rest is just the number crunch encoding & burn which can run overnight...

You also have another option, depending on what other ports you have on your system... If you happen to have a FireWire port, some of the mid range Hi8 recorders also have a Firewire/DV output and typically do a decent job of conversion... Or there are also stand alone Analog/DV converters (~$150) that do a decent job of conversion to raw DV you could capture. They usally come with some FireWire video capture software, or I belive that there are some freeware solutions on the net, since iyou're really just capturing a pre-exisitng bitstream...
SirPoonga
Geocacher

PostPosted: Mon Jul 12, 2004 9:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As mentioned Macs come with the basic software. I hear the next version of windows is going to come with the basic software. There even might be something very basic in the WinXP Powertoys.

For hardware, on the PC side, definately go with a video imput card that does hardware encoding, you will get the best quality. After you you get done with your conversions you can hook it up to your TV like a TIVO (www.byopvr.com). If you get a Nexus or Nova WinTV you could do satellite hacking, but that's another topic Twisted Evil

Depending on the power of your PC you might be able to get away with a sofware mpeg-2 encoder, but you will need at least a 1Ghz machine stripped down with alot of memory.

There is a company that does this stuff in Plymouth. I was thinking of starting up a simular service in this area as there isn;t anything like that here. It doesn't take much for software and hardware to do it, just time as you have to play the tapes. A graphic designer friend of mine wants to help, he'd make the DVD menus.
rickrich
Geocacher

PostPosted: Tue Jul 13, 2004 7:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Even external DV conversion can be troublesome for DVD authoring. You need to understand the audio/video sync problems you may encounter depending on a number of factors throughout your workflow. This will depend a lot on the specific hardware and software you use. Otherwise, you end up with a DVD that is in audio sync at the beginning of the movie, but out of sync by several seconds at the end of the movie. Highly recommended reading....

http://www.adamwilt.com/DV-FAQ-tech.html#LockedAudio
Post new topic   Reply to topic    MnGCA Forum Index -> Non Geocaching All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: