MnGCA Home MnGCA
Minnesota Geocaching Association

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   User listUser list   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Maplewood's own geocaching challenge coming soon!

View previous topic :: View next topic  
tesser
Geocacher

PostPosted: Tue Jul 20, 2010 9:57 pm    Post subject: Maplewood's own geocaching challenge coming soon! Reply with quote

I was contacted by the Parks and Rec Dept staff in Maplewood about a local Boy Scout Eagle project. The boy wanted to start a geocaching program in Maplewood. I gave them the bad news that most of the Maplewood parks already have caches, so there wasn't much room to publish more.

Between the boy, me, and park staff, we came up with a plan to hide caches in most of the parks. The caches will NOT be published on geocaching.com. The City will publish them. Players will need to pick up a "passport" at City Hall or events, and then go to the caches and collect special stickers. Once you fill up your book with the unique stickers, you can come in to City Hall and collect a special coin.

Cool, huh? They want to get people to know the parks. The Boy Scout is creating and hiding all of the caches. I do not know where the caches are yet, nor how close they may be to gc.com caches. This should be interesting.

I will be teaching a basic GPS and caching class on August 21st for the kick-off. Anyone want to join me?
bflentje
Geocacher

PostPosted: Tue Jul 20, 2010 10:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Maplewood's own geocaching challenge coming soon! Reply with quote

tesser wrote:
I was contacted by the Parks and Rec Dept staff in Maplewood about a local Boy Scout Eagle project. The boy wanted to start a geocaching program in Maplewood. I gave them the bad news that most of the Maplewood parks already have caches, so there wasn't much room to publish more.

Between the boy, me, and park staff, we came up with a plan to hide caches in most of the parks. The caches will NOT be published on geocaching.com. The City will publish them. Players will need to pick up a "passport" at City Hall or events, and then go to the caches and collect special stickers. Once you fill up your book with the unique stickers, you can come in to City Hall and collect a special coin.

Cool, huh? They want to get people to know the parks. The Boy Scout is creating and hiding all of the caches. I do not know where the caches are yet, nor how close they may be to gc.com caches. This should be interesting.

I will be teaching a basic GPS and caching class on August 21st for the kick-off. Anyone want to join me?

Very cool. Except for the part where they're not going to be published. I must becoming a smiley snob in my old age. Laughing
Draconisdax
Geocacher

PostPosted: Wed Jul 21, 2010 6:58 am    Post subject: Re: Maplewood's own geocaching challenge coming soon! Reply with quote

bflentje wrote:
tesser wrote:

Very cool. Except for the part where they're not going to be published. I must becoming a smiley snob in my old age. Laughing

You could always post the finds on some of your archived caches!!!
bflentje
Geocacher

PostPosted: Wed Jul 21, 2010 12:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Maplewood's own geocaching challenge coming soon! Reply with quote

ArcherDragoon wrote:
bflentje wrote:
tesser wrote:

You could always post the finds on some of your archived caches!!!

I already went through the disaster of deleting and relogging my event temp finds. Pure numbers for me here on out.
Draconisdax
Geocacher

PostPosted: Wed Jul 21, 2010 4:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Laughing
tesser
Geocacher

PostPosted: Fri Aug 20, 2010 10:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.ci.maplewood.mn.us/index.aspx?NID=710

Get your passports tomorrow and get caching!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    MnGCA Forum Index -> Park Relations All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: