MnGCA Home MnGCA
Minnesota Geocaching Association

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   User listUser list   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Maps that will change colors by # of finds

View previous topic :: View next topic  
XZQ&Dad
Geocacher

PostPosted: Sat Aug 14, 2010 11:35 pm    Post subject: Maps that will change colors by # of finds Reply with quote

With the shut down of itsnotaboutthenumbers.com, I'm looking for a replacement to the map function. The site had shading for different caches based on where the caches were found, and different shadings for different numbers. It worked great with the boys because we could talk about turning a county blue or turning a state purple.

(On our recent trip, Z wanted us to intentionally only find one cache in North Dakota so we would have a state that was light blue.)

We're now using the maps from MyGeocachingProfile.com but their not as good as the old site and they don't break down Minnesota county by county.

Any ideas?
speedysk1
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Sun Aug 15, 2010 12:09 am    Post subject: Re: Maps that will change colors by # of finds Reply with quote

XZQ&Dad wrote:
With the shut down of itsnotaboutthenumbers.com, I'm looking for a replacement to the map function. The site had shading for different caches based on where the caches were found, and different shadings for different numbers. It worked great with the boys because we could talk about turning a county blue or turning a state purple.

(On our recent trip, Z wanted us to intentionally only find one cache in North Dakota so we would have a state that was light blue.)

We're now using the maps from MyGeocachingProfile.com but their not as good as the old site and they don't break down Minnesota county by county.

Any ideas?

GSAK (gsak.net) has a lot of macros that will do this and many other reporting things.
EPMinnesota
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Sun Aug 15, 2010 9:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MyGeocachingProfile.com does have a county by county map. You just need to go through all the maps and features and turn them on or off. They have all the delorme page maps as well. They have too many options if you ask me!
XZQ&Dad
Geocacher

PostPosted: Sun Aug 15, 2010 10:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

EPMinnesota wrote:
MyGeocachingProfile.com does have a county by county map. You just need to go through all the maps and features and turn them on or off. They have all the delorme page maps as well. They have too many options if you ask me!

You're right that they have a national county map, but what they don't have is the individual Minesota county map with changing colors based on the number of caches found.

That's what I'm looking for. Any idea where I can find one of those?

Thanks for the responses.
qwerty2582
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Mon Aug 16, 2010 6:13 am    Post subject: Re: Maps that will change colors by # of finds Reply with quote

speedysk1 wrote:

GSAK (gsak.net) has a lot of macros that will do this and many other reporting things.

I use GSAK myself (see my profile for result). It doesn't do different colors for different states (unless I've just missed that feature), but it does do different colors for how many finds you've had per county in as many or as few states as you like.

When I'm traveling, I'm always trying to figure out how many states I can "light up" - next week, Colorado, here I come! Debating if I'll have time to light up any surrounding states...
Arcticabn
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Mon Aug 16, 2010 3:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Four hour round trip to Wyoming with caches just across the border Smile

Been there, done that. But then I did a couple another 15 or so just to make sure I lit it up good.
Sharknose Bunnies
Geocacher

PostPosted: Tue Aug 17, 2010 4:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

XZQ&Dad wrote:
EPMinnesota wrote:

You're right that they have a national county map, but what they don't have is the individual Minesota county map with changing colors based on the number of caches found.

That's what I'm looking for. Any idea where I can find one of those?

Thanks for the responses.

Is what I have on my profile what you're looking for?

I did that so long ago that I forget how I did it, but I think it was a two-step macro process. One macro was for pulling county data out of the caches, and the second was for creating the Minnesota map. I went in and customized the categories and the colors for the map. Once I got it set up it just runs automatically when I output my stats.

A few people have asked me about that. I'll try to go back in and figure out what I did to get it to work that way.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    MnGCA Forum Index -> Geocaching Websites All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: