MnGCA Home MnGCA
Minnesota Geocaching Association

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   User listUser list   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Oregon paperless caching problem

View previous topic :: View next topic  
PCC322
Geocacher

PostPosted: Sat Aug 07, 2010 6:39 pm    Post subject: Oregon paperless caching problem Reply with quote

I use the Oregon 400t. I have been having a problem with the geocache_visits.txt file. Often instead of the full waypoint, I get just a GC in that field. That means I'm back to manual logging. Is this a known "feature", or am I having a unique problem with my Oregon?
qwerty2582
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Sun Aug 08, 2010 9:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmmm...

On my 300, here's what the file looks like:

GCTX4D,2010-08-07T02:23Z,Found it,""

And I upload it to the website, and it goes into the Field Notes list...

So you upload it, and it doesn't turn into caches, or do you use some other method of logging?
PCC322
Geocacher

PostPosted: Sun Aug 08, 2010 6:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The file looks like that, and when the first field is a complete geocache waypoint, it works just fine. Much of the time, however, the first field is only GC and of course the web site can't do anything with that.
qwerty2582
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Sun Aug 08, 2010 9:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Huh. That's different...

Nope, no help here, never seen that before...

My only suggestion would be an upgrade, if you're not on the latest released firmware...
PCC322
Geocacher

PostPosted: Mon Aug 09, 2010 8:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gonna try that.
RudeRat
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Mon Aug 09, 2010 1:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have you deleted the file from your GPS and let the unit recreate it? You'll loose your current data, but that might fix the problem.
minnesotabrad
Past MnGCA President

PostPosted: Mon Aug 09, 2010 7:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are you uploading your file from the gps to geocaching.com from access your field notes, then going to upload feild notes for garmin? Shold look like this.
Garmin - Colorado and Oregon GPS Receivers
While Geocaching with the Garmin Colorado or Garmin Oregon you can upload your geocache finds directly from the device once you return back from your day geocaching. Click here to upload Field Notes from your Garmin Colorado or Garmin Oregon.
PCC322
Geocacher

PostPosted: Tue Aug 10, 2010 7:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

minnesotabrad wrote:
Are you uploading your file from the gps to geocaching.com from access your field notes, then going to upload feild notes for garmin? Shold look like this.
Garmin - Colorado and Oregon GPS Receivers
While Geocaching with the Garmin Colorado or Garmin Oregon you can upload your geocache finds directly from the device once you return back from your day geocaching. Click here to upload Field Notes from your Garmin Colorado or Garmin Oregon.

Yup: I got all that. The trouble is the file is missing characters. Specifically all the name of the waypoint following GC. Sometimes it works fine, and others not. And it runs in streaks. One days caching will be messed up, and the next day just fine.
MNMizzou
Geocacher

PostPosted: Wed Aug 11, 2010 12:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The only thing I can recommend is deleting the geocaching visits file after you've uploaded your caches (which won't solve a current problem) so that you are starting fresh each time. I've never had the problem you're describing. I would suggest going to Garmin's website and checking to make sure you are running the latest version of software. If you are too far behind with all the recent changes gc.com has undergone that might be enough to be causing some problem somewhere in the line. Finally if all of that doesn't work, I would call Garmin, they usually have top notch customer support (based in the KC metro, so you aren't dialing off to a tech support guy you have to have repeat everything 12 times to understand them, like let's say Dell for example)
PCC322
Geocacher

PostPosted: Mon Sep 20, 2010 5:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A couple of you have responded to my cry for help with malfunctioning geocache-visits.txt on my Oregon. Several back and forths to Garmin techies have overcome the problem. Seems the formatting of the internal memory had gotten trashed. They had me re-format the memory (not the microSD), and then I had to re-build my user data. Now everything is working correctly. The new update is nice. I recommend it.

Jim
pcc322
PCC322
Geocacher

PostPosted: Wed Sep 29, 2010 8:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So sad. The paperless caching problem has returned. I'll keep updating this as I make progress. Perhaps, my Oregon is not well.
RudeRat
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Wed Sep 29, 2010 8:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bummer. I hope they figure it out.
EPMinnesota
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Wed Sep 29, 2010 11:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

PCC322 wrote:
So sad. The paperless caching problem has returned. I'll keep updating this as I make progress. Perhaps, my Oregon is not well.

Maybe you need a new one. Wink Wink
Post new topic   Reply to topic    MnGCA Forum Index -> Tech Talk All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: