MnGCA Home MnGCA
Minnesota Geocaching Association

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   User listUser list   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Mesabi Trail, turning into a power trail??
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
joboo
Geocacher

PostPosted: Wed Jun 30, 2010 9:44 pm    Post subject: Mesabi Trail, turning into a power trail?? Reply with quote

from Ely to Grand Rapids, (not yet, but from G.R. to past Virginia), cachers are starting to fill in the blanks along the M.T.
take a peek at Mr. AerosmithPa's bookmark list below.
he's missing some, but has most of them. nice job Sir!!! Very Happy

what makes a power trail? Confused
one every .10?
is this boring?
difficulity?
variety?
style?
number padding?

i don't know, i'm looking for others opinion's.
come on, i know there out there!!! Wink

http://www.geocaching.com/bookmarks/view.aspx?guid=fa126cd2-ecc5-449f-94b4-ad98a685c444

Peace, Joboo
Pear Head
Past MnGCA President

PostPosted: Wed Jun 30, 2010 10:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think ANY trail will eventually turn into this. Cachers naturally fill in the voids between caches on trails. At what point does it turn from a cache-friendly trail to a power trail?

This is a gray area that Groundspeak has created.
joboo
Geocacher

PostPosted: Wed Jun 30, 2010 10:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cache friendly is good?
Power trail is bad?
I'm not being a smarta@£, just trying to make the difference in my mind.
As an example, in a mile of trail what would be to many caches, in you opinion. I know they will very by cacher, but I think you like quality over the quantity. Anyway, 4 a.m. Comes early night
King Boreas
Geocacher

PostPosted: Thu Jul 01, 2010 5:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm guessing the power trail denial days are over.
bflentje
Geocacher

PostPosted: Thu Jul 01, 2010 7:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like the idea though I'd prefer more thought was put into the caches used on power trails. I like having the option but like already stated, I'd probably get bored after the first 50 to 100 caches on a power trail.
Pear Head
Past MnGCA President

PostPosted: Thu Jul 01, 2010 2:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

joboo wrote:
Cache friendly is good?
Power trail is bad?

I don't mean to imply that a power trail is bad - personally I don't have a problem with them and there are times when I would love to do one. It seems like the consensus is that they're bad, although I often think that's Groundspeak's view on it, not the consensus of cachers.
AerosmithPA
MnGCA President

PostPosted: Thu Jul 01, 2010 3:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As was commented on, I too have become bored when too many caches are placed too close together for my liking. The first time I noticed this I was biking around a park and discovered I was stopping every 550 feet to log a cache. I wondered why I even brought my bike along. Since then I've learned I can be selective in my finding, which was a very liberating feeling.

KB has a good point, power trail denial is gone. Every trail will be a power trail to varying extents. The Mesabi Trail is not yet near the power trail of others. The bookmark list features roughly 60 caches along a 115 mile trail. The list extends out roughly 1/4 mile on either side and showcases high difficulty, high terrain ratings, and challenging multis. Stop and grabs they are all not. It would be an amazing feat to find all of these in one day. By power trail standards, that is nothing.

I like the idea of trying to tie in geocaching with tourism. I also think it would be great fun to bike the length of the trail, camping or staying in towns along the way. That is the purpose of the bookmark list. The list does and will assist people in planning out their route, as this trail which weaves through forests, lakes, and yes, mine dumps, is not easily planned out by following a highway.
Pear Head
Past MnGCA President

PostPosted: Thu Jul 01, 2010 3:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think the difference between the Mesabi and a typical power trail (to answer the original question) is as you pointed out - the caches along the Mesabi aren't just stop and grabs - there's a variety of types of caches with a varying degree of difficulty.
joboo
Geocacher

PostPosted: Sun Jul 04, 2010 1:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I guess I don't really know what a true power trail is, and I guess with some of The local cachers starting to place caches along the M.T. With more frequency, I starting thinking along the power trail lines.
I see where stopping every .10 mile would get dull quick, but there is such A variety with the hides along the M.T. I think it could become a one of a kind caching trail over time.
Like Mr. AerosmithPA says, load up the bikes in Grand Rapids, cache and pedal to your hearts content, camping wherever you feel like; all the way to Ely......... in the not to distant future. Nice thing about the M.T. You can use it as your own perssonal trailhead, what with all the different towns it goes through.
Man why am I preaching about a paved trail, when I like to ride dirt???? LOL
Anyway, everyone have a great 4th wherever you are!!!!
Time for me to put the fire out and crawl in the tent. Wink)
Peace
RudeRat
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Sun Jul 04, 2010 3:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree, turning the Mesabi into a power trail would be bad. Take the stretch between Pengilly and Marble for instance. If that would fill up with caches, I just wouldn’t go do them. Nope, not a single one. I’d just put them on the old ignore list. Wouldn’t give them a second thought. Just drive right on past. If there was lots of them, I’d really ignore them. Or if someone were to place them more towards Hwy 7 where there is easy parking and trail access, no way would I head for those. How many red rocks need a cache next to them any way? 40? 50? Nope, that would suck having all those caches to do. You’d have to give up an entire day to go caching. Not me. I sure hope the stretch between Pengilly and Marble (that's between Pengilly and Marble) doesn't fill up.
Pear Head
Past MnGCA President

PostPosted: Sun Jul 04, 2010 3:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Reverse psychology rarely works here. Smile
EPMinnesota
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Sun Jul 04, 2010 3:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pear Head wrote:
Reverse psychology rarely works here. Smile

Nope, it really doesn't. Hardly ever. Pretty rare. Like almost never. Rolling Eyes Laughing
RudeRat
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Tue Jul 06, 2010 1:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It’s good to see no new caches between Marble and Pengilly showed up after the 4th of July. That’s Marble N 47° 19.025 W 093° 20.091 and Pengilly N 47° 20.103 W 093° 12.822. Again, that’s Marble (55764) and Pengilly (55775). Sure wouldn’t want to “Label” that stretch a power trail! Can you make a cache from 2 feathers?
loneeagle_24
Geocacher

PostPosted: Tue Jul 06, 2010 3:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Or if someone were to place them more towards Hwy 7 where there is easy parking and trail access, no way would I head for those.

Did you say you wanted more caches along HWY 7 west of Hutchinson????????

I think I made have to make a trip over that way some weekend. There can't be a whole lot of places left there though to place caches Embarassed
pfalstad
Geocacher

PostPosted: Tue Oct 19, 2010 5:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pear Head wrote:
joboo wrote:
Cache friendly is good?
Power trail is bad?

I don't mean to imply that a power trail is bad - personally I don't have a problem with them and there are times when I would love to do one. It seems like the consensus is that they're bad, although I often think that's Groundspeak's view on it, not the consensus of cachers.

Woohoo! Power trail time!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    MnGCA Forum Index -> Northern MN All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: