MnGCA Home MnGCA
Minnesota Geocaching Association

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   User listUser list   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Vermillion State park

View previous topic :: View next topic  
loneeagle_24
Geocacher

PostPosted: Wed Jun 09, 2010 6:26 am    Post subject: Vermillion State park Reply with quote

Heard they just purchased the land up north for another state park. I wonder when they will get a cache in the park???
andrewmcc
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Wed Jun 09, 2010 6:52 am    Post subject: Re: Vermillion State park Reply with quote

loneeagle_24 wrote:
Heard they just purchased the land up north for another state park. I wonder when they will get a cache in the park???

There is being a change in the person that is in charge of the caches, when they get the new guy I was going to ask.

It maybe a case of no staff at the park and may need a volunteer maintainer.
Anyone?
loneeagle_24
Geocacher

PostPosted: Wed Jun 09, 2010 8:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Any idea where it is at? All I heard on the radio was that it was up north.
Surfer Joe
Minnesota Reviewer

PostPosted: Wed Jun 09, 2010 8:36 am    Post subject: Re: Vermillion State park Reply with quote

andrewmcc wrote:
There is being a change in the person that is in charge of the caches, when they get the new guy I was going to ask.

Again?!
themuts
Geocacher

PostPosted: Wed Jun 09, 2010 9:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lake Vermillion is near Tower, MN. It's about 20miles from Ely. Not too far from Bear Head Lake State Park either. I'm not exactly sure where the purchased land is located though.
bflentje
Geocacher

PostPosted: Wed Jun 09, 2010 10:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

themuts wrote:
Lake Vermillion is near Tower, MN. It's about 20miles from Ely. Not too far from Bear Head Lake State Park either. I'm not exactly sure where the purchased land is located though.

It is located just a mile or so east of Soudan mine. And from what I just heard last weekend, once Vermillion is developed, it will be one of the biggest parks. Soudan mine will then just become a satellite of Vermillion and managed from the Vermillion office. Not sure of the accuracy of that information though.
Pear Head
Past MnGCA President

PostPosted: Wed Jun 09, 2010 2:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would be surprised to see a cache in the park anytime soon. Although the state went through with the deal to purchase the land, there is no infrastructure - no access road, no parking, etc, etc.
The Hipster
Geocacher

PostPosted: Wed Jun 09, 2010 3:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pear Head wrote:
I would be surprised to see a cache in the park anytime soon. Although the state went through with the deal to purchase the land, there is no infrastructure - no access road, no parking, etc, etc.
And unfortunately ... no money as of yet to build such! The 3000 acre former US Steel property has the potential to become a major jewel in the MN State Park crown. It will take sufficient funding (some 30 million), much planning & a lot of execution for that to happen though.

Here is a link to an informative article:
http://minnesota.publicradio.org/display/web/2010/06/08/pawlenty-us-to-sign-vermillion-land-deal/

From the linked article:
"Officials with the Department of Natural Resources say they'll now move forward with getting the park ready for public use. DNR Commissioner Mark Holsten said they'll give public tours of the property this summer and try to get hiking paths available for use by the fall. He also said he hopes primitive camping will be allowed next spring."
andrewmcc
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Thu Jun 10, 2010 8:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The manager at Tower Sudan is in to geocaching and may do something. The land is adjacent to his park and will have trials in from there.
joboo
Geocacher

PostPosted: Sun Jul 04, 2010 8:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Technically Lake Vermillion State Park is open to the public. But the DNR really isn't ready for the public yet. Last the DNR crews were busy turning an old cabin into a day use picnic area, mostly for people who boat in. A fire pit, portable toilet, picnic tables and a dock have been readied along a cove of Armstrong bay.
From a nice write up in the today's Duluth News Trib.
Peace
Bunganator
Geocacher

PostPosted: Sun Jul 04, 2010 10:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My brother (Fargoclimber) used the new state park as his thesis project for his masters in architecture. In his talks with the people in charge, he was informed that the park will be primarily a recreational park. Because US Steels cleared out so much land, it doesn't have quite the majestic power that some of the others have, so recreation was the way to go. This may have changed over the past year or so, but that mission could be good for geocaching.
bflentje
Geocacher

PostPosted: Tue Sep 07, 2010 9:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

HELP SHAPE Lake Vermillion State Park..

https://www.surveymonkey.com/s.aspx?sm=dYFGAX4apw6VGLbczml0MQSfd5uRAqOlIPj2tRHyC5o%3d
Post new topic   Reply to topic    MnGCA Forum Index -> Park Relations All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: