MnGCA Home MnGCA
Minnesota Geocaching Association

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   User listUser list   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

East Side Metro - Wednesday Night Caching

View previous topic :: View next topic  
MamaDuck-24
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Sun Jun 27, 2010 10:31 am    Post subject: East Side Metro - Wednesday Night Caching Reply with quote

Are there any cachers out there who live on the East Side of Cities who would be interested in having Wednesday night caching? Other evenings would be fine too.
It seems like all of the WNC is on the west side of the Cities.
I'd be glad to be the coordinator.
EPMinnesota
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Sun Jun 27, 2010 12:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

WNC can be anywhere in the metro area! If you post it, they will come!

For courtesy sake only one WNC is posted per Wednesday night and to be sure everyone sees it and it gets saved to Sir_Z's location file, use the same format in the header as previous Weds. nights!

oh, and for previous WNC locations click here!
bflentje
Geocacher

PostPosted: Sun Jun 27, 2010 1:23 pm    Post subject: Re: East Side Metro - Wednesday Night Caching Reply with quote

MamaDuck-24 wrote:
Are there any cachers out there who live on the East Side of Cities who would be interested in having Wednesday night caching? Other evenings would be fine too.
It seems like all of the WNC is on the west side of the Cities.
I'd be glad to be the coordinator.

I live in the SE corner of the metro and have aspirations to show up more than once a year. But my Wednesday nights are always booked with something or another.
Byn234
Geocacher

PostPosted: Sun Jun 27, 2010 2:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

*raises hand* Count me in Smile If nothinng else, maybe we can carpool for the ones over on the west side.
MamaDuck-24
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Sun Jun 27, 2010 3:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Would we be able to do a Thursday or Tuesday night cache? I can understand the reasoning about only one WNC.
Or is this something a few of us eastsiders would do off the grid?
Pear Head
Past MnGCA President

PostPosted: Sun Jun 27, 2010 3:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MamaDuck-24 wrote:
Would we be able to do a Thursday or Tuesday night cache? I can understand the reasoning about only one WNC.
Or is this something a few of us eastsiders would do off the grid?

First, you can do what you want when you want to do it. I think what's been said is that it's easier just to have one WNC at a time (which is true), but there's no reason not to have a WNC on the east side of the metro. Just because the majority of them have fallen recently on the west side doesn't mean that there's not a significant number of cachers on the east side that would be interested, nor does it mean that a number of the regular WNCers wouldn't come to an east side event.

My suggestion is to just post the event on a Wednesday night that isn't already occupied with an event and let it be. If people choose to make the drive then great! If not, then it's their loss. Don't let the previous choices dictate where WNC will be.

For example, this upcoming Wednesday is chosen already. Why not post for the next Wednesday (the 7th)? The more notice you get out there the more likely you'll have a better turnout as well.

You don't need to even pick the caches this far in advance - just posting that you're hosting the WNC and give a general area that you'll be picking caches from and let people know that you'll be posting the actual caches when you get closer to the actual date (say the 3rd or 4th).

Jump in with both feet! Smile
MamaDuck-24
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Sun Jun 27, 2010 3:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I appreciate your feedback and encourgement. Thanks for your help.
I think maybe I should attend a WNC before I actually host one and talk to the host(ess) as how to actually get it posted and set up. What if I do it wrong? Smile
I would love to come to this Wed's, but alas, last day of the month/quarter and I am the CPA of the company I work for. (inventory etc)
But - I'll bet this is something I can do and look forward to get something going.
Is it always the same cacher who is setting up the WNC? And is that why they always seem to be on the West/Southwest side? I actually just heard about WNC within the last month or so from Tropicalloon, who lives on the west side.
I'll look at a few of the past events and get some ideas as to what needs to be done.
Pear Head
Past MnGCA President

PostPosted: Sun Jun 27, 2010 4:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MamaDuck-24 wrote:
I appreciate your feedback and encourgement. Thanks for your help.
I think maybe I should attend a WNC before I actually host one and talk to the host(ess) as how to actually get it posted and set up. What if I do it wrong? Smile
I would love to come to this Wed's, but alas, last day of the month/quarter and I am the CPA of the company I work for. (inventory etc)
But - I'll bet this is something I can do and look forward to get something going.
Is it always the same cacher who is setting up the WNC? And is that why they always seem to be on the West/Southwest side? I actually just heard about WNC within the last month or so from Tropicalloon, who lives on the west side.
I'll look at a few of the past events and get some ideas as to what needs to be done.

I think you're best bet is to look at some of the past events and attend one or two. I myself have never attended or hosted one although I have a pretty good idea how it works, so I am probably not the best person to ask for advice. Smile

It's not always the same person setting it up, no. In fact, it's usually a different person doing it each week. It's pretty much set up on a first-come first-served basis. Some weeks the Wednesday is 'claimed' pretty early in the week (or even more than a week out), other Wednesdays it's not set up until that afternoon.
MamaDuck-24
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Sun Jun 27, 2010 4:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been reading older posts and looking at the set up event link.
I think I'm getting the gist of this.
As soon as I get through the next couple of weeks, I'm going to give this a try.
What's the worst that happens? I'm the only one there. Won't be the first time I've cached alone. Smile
Thanks everyone for their advice. You'll be hearing from me.
EPMinnesota
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Sun Jun 27, 2010 5:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MamaDuck-24 wrote:
I've been reading older posts and looking at the set up event link.
I think I'm getting the gist of this.
As soon as I get through the next couple of weeks, I'm going to give this a try.
What's the worst that happens? I'm the only one there. Won't be the first time I've cached alone. Smile
Thanks everyone for their advice. You'll be hearing from me.

It's highly unlikely you'd be the only one there! People are always looking for an excuse to cache and cachers getting together is a great reason! Like I said, if you post it, they will come! Now that motormouth's baseball season is over, I'm back on for Wednesday nights! Woohoo! Take us somewhere new!
Red_Devil35
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Sun Jun 27, 2010 7:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MamaDuck-24 wrote:
What if I do it wrong? Smile
There is no wrong way to do WNC.
Quote:
Is it always the same cacher who is setting up the WNC?
No, I think we've all done one or two.
Quote:
And is that why they always seem to be on the West/Southwest side?
That is a recent phenomenon. I think there are just more cachers on this side of the metro that want to go out every week.
sir_zman
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Sun Jun 27, 2010 8:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

EPMinnesota wrote:
... it gets saved to Sir_Z's location file, use the same format in the header as previous Weds. nights!

oh, and for previous WNC locations click here!

I made a post a few months back that since I haven't been attending as many WNC's that I was going to stop recording them, and was hoping someone else would be willing to take over, but didn't get any takers...so the map is a few months out of sync. If someone wants to take over, they are welcome to it, I'd be happy to show them how to enter WNC's into the system and I'd also be happy to help get the missing WNC's entered.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
MamaDuck-24
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Mon Jun 28, 2010 6:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK< OK - I'm all pumped up for this now!
I'll need help setting up my first WNC, but I like to be challenged. Hence my love of geocaching.
You'll be hearing from me.

On another note: I'm really new to the forum. How do I set up my tagline etc? Include a prior post in my post? I'm sure I could figure it out, but I'm lazy (and working fulltime+) - I figure if someone else can show me the easy way, why not?

Thanks everyone for helping me with this.
King Boreas
Geocacher

PostPosted: Mon Jun 28, 2010 6:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MamaDuck-24 wrote:
I'll need help setting up my first WNC, but I like to be challenged. Hence my love of geocaching.

On another note: I'm really new to the forum. How do I set up my tagline etc? Include a prior post in my post? I'm sure I could figure it out, but I'm lazy (and working fulltime+) - I figure if someone else can show me the easy way, why not?

Thanks everyone for helping me with this.

Hey Deb ... oops, I mean Mama Duck. There's a quote button in the top right corner of each post.

Wink
sir_zman
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Mon Jun 28, 2010 9:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MamaDuck-24 wrote:

Pretty simple, just pick a park that has 3 or so caches in it, (the newer the better) and then pick a restaurant near by; Create a post listing the three cache's (name and GC number), then post the coords to the restaurant (use my website if you need help finding coords - http://www.sirzman.com/gc/llf.cfm ) Also, if there is a better spot to park, post those as well. Remember to use the correct format for the title of the post: WeekNIGHT Caching; Wednesday July x, 7:30 PM
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Post new topic   Reply to topic    MnGCA Forum Index -> Events All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: