MnGCA Home MnGCA
Minnesota Geocaching Association

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   User listUser list   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Heading to Cannon Falls
Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
bflentje
Geocacher

PostPosted: Tue Jun 22, 2010 7:58 am    Post subject: Re: Cannon over 6 ft?? Reply with quote

hijfte wrote:
Has anyone done the Cannon for geocaching in high/fast water? High is above 5.5' and the reading today is 6.05' with more rain expected this week. Thinking of doing Cannon Falls to Welch this weekend. Welch canoe/tubing rentals isn't even open because of high water. Are we talking safety issues at this speed? Will we even be able to slow down enough to stop at islands to cache? Any other suggestions for an overnight with a bunch of canoe caches not too far from the cities?

See my other post. Even with normal water levels, you have to anticipate your stops so you're not back paddling. It isn't dangerous at all unless your deathly afraid of the water. I reengineered the cache run this spring when the water was higher than it is now and I had my 10 year old daughter along. Just be sure to stay in your confort zone. For me, the water level is perfect.
hijfte
Geocacher

PostPosted: Tue Jun 22, 2010 9:07 am    Post subject: camping? Reply with quote

is hidden valley in welch the only camping allowed from cannon falls down?
bflentje
Geocacher

PostPosted: Tue Jun 22, 2010 9:45 am    Post subject: Re: camping? Reply with quote

hijfte wrote:

There is camping in Lake Byllesby Regional Park on the Dakota County side. I believe it is also legal to camp on the islands in the middle of the river. But don't quote me on that. If that is true, there is only one island large enough or cleared enough to camp on and that is the one with the cache named Cannon River Campsite, or something or other.
bflentje
Geocacher

PostPosted: Tue Jun 22, 2010 9:47 am    Post subject: Re: camping? Reply with quote

bflentje wrote:
hijfte wrote:

There is camping in Lake Byllesby Regional Park on the Dakota County side. I believe it is also legal to camp on the islands in the middle of the river. But don't quote me on that. If that is true, there is only one island large enough or cleared enough to camp on and that is the one with the cache named Cannon River Campsite, or something or other.

There is also WMA land on the south side of the river probably the last half mile or so into the Miesville Ravine landing. I've seen tents on that land but I have no idea about the legality of it.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    MnGCA Forum Index -> Southern MN All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: