MnGCA Home MnGCA
Minnesota Geocaching Association

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   User listUser list   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Planned website downtime: 6/6/10 (Sunday)

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Pear Head
Past MnGCA President

PostPosted: Wed Jun 02, 2010 9:37 pm    Post subject: Planned website downtime: 6/6/10 (Sunday) Reply with quote

Our web host, Steadfast, has been experiencing some issues recently with the server we are on which, to make a long story short, has been causing us some intermittent problems for the past couple of weeks (timeouts and slow downs).

If the problem isn't resolved by this Sunday (the 6th) then we'll likely be switching to another server with the same host to resolve the issue.

During the same time we'll also be upgrading the software for the site, so there may be some slight downtime (15-30 minutes typically) on Sunday afternoon/evening involved with the changes.

Most users will not notice anything.
timewellspent
Geocacher

PostPosted: Thu Jun 03, 2010 7:28 am    Post subject: Re: Planned website downtime: 6/6/10 (Sunday) Reply with quote

Pear Head wrote:
Our web host, Steadfast, has been experiencing some issues recently with the server we are on which, to make a long story short, has been causing us some intermittent problems for the past couple of weeks (timeouts and slow downs).

If the problem isn't resolved by this Sunday (the 6th) then we'll likely be switching to another server with the same host to resolve the issue.

During the same time we'll also be upgrading the software for the site, so there may be some slight downtime (15-30 minutes typically) on Sunday afternoon/evening involved with the changes.

Looking forward to the change. It has been terrible lately!
LucidOndine
Past MnGCA President

PostPosted: Thu Jun 03, 2010 2:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree; it has been pretty shoddy lately.
Pear Head
Past MnGCA President

PostPosted: Thu Jun 03, 2010 7:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The site will also now be down at approx 2am Sunday while Steadfast adds more memory to the server we're on in an attempt to fix the problem. They expect the downtime to be well under an hour.
timewellspent
Geocacher

PostPosted: Fri Jun 04, 2010 7:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pear Head wrote:
The site will also now be down at approx 2am Sunday while Steadfast adds more memory to the server we're on in an attempt to fix the problem. They expect the downtime to be well under an hour.

Thanks for working on this Pear Head!
King Boreas
Geocacher

PostPosted: Fri Jun 04, 2010 7:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey, the guy needs some time off so he can attend one of my Events.
Pear Head
Past MnGCA President

PostPosted: Sun Jun 06, 2010 6:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Planned website downtime: 6/6/10 (Sunday) Reply with quote

Pear Head wrote:

I upgraded the main site software this evening as planned.

The host upgraded the server memory during the overnight last night. I'm going to continue to monitor the situation and will ask them to switch us between hosts if we continue to have problems like we've had in the past - I haven't seen any during my monitoring today.
15Tango
MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Sun Jun 06, 2010 7:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You didn't add Lost and Found banners or Facebook "like" buttons during the downtime!!!!???? Wink
Surfer Joe
Minnesota Reviewer

PostPosted: Thu Jun 24, 2010 11:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can't say that these forums are running any better after the recent upgrade. They are still very slow to load at times.
speedysk1
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Thu Jun 24, 2010 1:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Surfer Joe wrote:
I can't say that these forums are running any better after the recent upgrade. They are still very slow to load at times.

This is a general reply to all. If you find the site to be slow, please email webmaster@mngca.org with the time/date that it occurred. This will help us better determine the causes. Our server recently had some hardware improvements to it, but it's a shared server. So the other users on the box can cause our site to be slow and vice-versa. If we have date/times we can submit that to our hosting company. We were dealing with some major issues a few weeks ago, and those seem to have been reduced, if not eliminated. I haven't noticed anymore timeouts, which was occurring previously. Timeouts will more or less would render the site completely useless. I have experienced some slowness, which is what I suspect SJ was experiencing as well. I've been guilty of not noting when it occurred either. Embarassed

Cheers!

Speedy
Post new topic   Reply to topic    MnGCA Forum Index -> MnGCA Website All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: