MnGCA Home MnGCA
Minnesota Geocaching Association

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   User listUser list   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

City of St. Paul Geocache Policy
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Red_Devil35
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Tue Mar 30, 2010 7:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pear Head wrote:
Pear Head wrote:
King Boreas wrote:
NYSandy23 wrote:
Did anyone know they were even working on a policy?

yeah, sorta

Was the MnGCA board aware this was in the works?

Seriously, no answer?

I hadn't heard anything. I don't know about any one else.
minnesotabrad
Past MnGCA President

PostPosted: Tue Mar 30, 2010 8:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pear Head wrote:
King Boreas wrote:
NYSandy23 wrote:

yeah, sorta

Sorry I have not read this post until today. The board was not aware of St Paul working on or implementing a geocaching policy. We see whom we can discuss the policy with and why they chose to implement a policy.
Pear Head
Past MnGCA President

PostPosted: Tue Mar 30, 2010 8:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

minnesotabrad wrote:
Pear Head wrote:
King Boreas wrote:
NYSandy23 wrote:

yeah, sorta

Sorry I have not read this post until today. The board was not aware of St Paul working on or implementing a geocaching policy. We see whom we can discuss the policy with and why they chose to implement a policy.

Thanks.

I started a thread for further discussion about the organization's response in the members area:

http://mngca.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=5356
minnesotabrad
Past MnGCA President

PostPosted: Tue Mar 30, 2010 9:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pear Head wrote:
minnesotabrad wrote:
Pear Head wrote:
King Boreas wrote:
NYSandy23 wrote:

yeah, sorta

Thanks.

I started a thread for further discussion about the organization's response in the members area:

http://mngca.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=5356

I have talked with Meghan on the phone regarding the policy. Please use thread that Pear Head created to let us know of issues you see with the policy and would like discussed when we met.
knowschad
Geocacher

PostPosted: Thu Apr 15, 2010 8:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just learned of this new policy and I think that it stinks! Geeze, we already have to register with Ramsey County, and now also with the City of St Paul? OK, I don't have any caches in the city, and since a SNAFU with Ramsey County and my Load Limit cache a few years ago, I don't have any in Ramsey, either. But I am very tired of all this micromanagement of our activity. Even St Paul acknowledges the guidelines of Geocaching.com... why can't that be enough? If they want to know which caches are in St Paul, and where... they can go to the website and put in their zipcode and take a look like the rest of us.

BTW: Pearhead's link returns "the topic or post you requested does not exist" for me.
Bunganator
Geocacher

PostPosted: Thu May 06, 2010 1:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Still nothing? I don't understand how the city can create a policy but not be available for more information. There must be more than one person who knows whats going on.

There also seems to be a bit of incongruity. No new caches will be published until this is cleared up, but all existing caches get to stay? Why do these get to stay active if they haven't actually "passed" a city approval process either?

I don't propose that all caches be disabled, but I wouldn't be opposed to a board member walking into the city office tomorrow and getting some answers. This has dragged on long enough.
bflentje
Geocacher

PostPosted: Thu May 06, 2010 3:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

knowschad wrote:
I just learned of this new policy and I think that it stinks! Geeze, we already have to register with Ramsey County, and now also with the City of St Paul? OK, I don't have any caches in the city, and since a SNAFU with Ramsey County and my Load Limit cache a few years ago, I don't have any in Ramsey, either. But I am very tired of all this micromanagement of our activity. Even St Paul acknowledges the guidelines of Geocaching.com... why can't that be enough? If they want to know which caches are in St Paul, and where... they can go to the website and put in their zipcode and take a look like the rest of us.

BTW: Pearhead's link returns "the topic or post you requested does not exist" for me.

And to think the sleeping giant in Dakota County went back to sleep for a while... Confused
King Boreas
Geocacher

PostPosted: Fri May 07, 2010 3:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

FWIW, I'm not replacing missing caches, or maintaining others, until I know they are, or will be, approved.
Bunganator
Geocacher

PostPosted: Fri May 07, 2010 10:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

King Boreas wrote:
FWIW, I'm not replacing missing caches, or maintaining others, until I know they are, or will be, approved.

Thus begins the death of St. Paul caching. I don't blame you KB. I'm doing the same thing.
Rustynails
Geocacher

PostPosted: Fri May 07, 2010 10:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bunganator wrote:
King Boreas wrote:

Thus begins the death of St. Paul caching. I don't blame you KB. I'm doing the same thing.

Then you and others should post a note on the cache page. We spent time last weekend looking for a KB cache on the Mississippi, that may be missing. Thanks
Pear Head
Past MnGCA President

PostPosted: Fri May 07, 2010 11:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you're not going to maintain your caches then pull them. The gc.com guidelines are pretty clear on your responsibilities as a cache owner.

Also, not maintaining your caches hurts any process that the MnGCA is involved in.
Surfer Joe
Minnesota Reviewer

PostPosted: Fri May 07, 2010 11:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just got off the phone with MinnesotaBrad. The logjam may may be about to break!
Bunganator
Geocacher

PostPosted: Fri May 07, 2010 12:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rustynails wrote:
Bunganator wrote:
King Boreas wrote:

Then you and others should post a note on the cache page. We spent time last weekend looking for a KB cache on the Mississippi, that may be missing. Thanks

Why post a note? Any cache you look for might be missing. I guess to me at least, "not maintaining" and "pulling" are the same thing. If I don't maintain it, I'll pull it. I archived a multi already that I knew I didn't have time to maintain and didn't want to bother with the registration. Another multi is about to go and any others that go missing likely won't be replaced.

On that note, is is nice to hear we may be close to a breakthrough!
King Boreas
Geocacher

PostPosted: Sat May 08, 2010 5:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some are getting approved??
Surfer Joe
Minnesota Reviewer

PostPosted: Mon May 10, 2010 3:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK folks, we have a new stream-lined process for new caches in Saint Paul parks...

They have kindly provided me with the boundaries of their off-limits areas. They have asked me not to make that data public so I can't share it with you. However, if your cache is located in a City of Saint Paul park, assuming it meets the geocaching.com guidelines and it is not located within one of the off-limits areas, I can go ahead and publish it without waiting for their approval. You are still required to register your cache with them.

Surfer Joe
Post new topic   Reply to topic    MnGCA Forum Index -> Park Relations All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: