MnGCA Home MnGCA
Minnesota Geocaching Association

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   User listUser list   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Family Friendly Events vs. Adult Friendly Events.

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Centris
Past MnGCA Chair

PostPosted: Tue Jun 22, 2004 8:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kitch wrote:
Hmmm..."a get sauced event in a park?"

I have to throw in my 2.5 cents here and suggest a family friendly event for those of us who will be bringing kidlets.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
s4xton
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Tue Jun 22, 2004 9:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have no problem getting Wallypog drunk.

-Aaron
Marsha and Silent Bob
Past MnGCA President

PostPosted: Wed Jun 23, 2004 5:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

s4xton wrote:
I have no problem getting Wallypog drunk.

ROFL!

Centris wrote:
I have to throw in my 2.5 cents here and suggest a family friendly event for those of us who will be bringing kidlets.

Anything that includes s4xton isn't family friendly!
Lyverbird
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Wed Jun 23, 2004 6:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Got to put my 2 cents with Centris. We have lots of night, adult events. Since this is further out of metro and a day trip event for most, lets try to keep it kid friendly. I'm not saying it has to be totaly dry, just not competely liquid either.

wwpp
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
sui generis
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Wed Jun 23, 2004 6:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Granted I've only been to a couple night events, but I never see anyone getting too terribly out of line. The language can get coarse, but that has nothing to do with the alcohol. Ultimately, however, I think the decision of alcohol vs. no alcohol is one for the event planner to make.

If, by chance, someone gets totally ripped and starts puking and exposing themselves, or whatever other attrocities people are concerned with, that is what police are for. Presumably, everyone old enough to drink should be able to be responsible about their alcoholic consumption. (time for the anecdotal stories of bad things drunk people have done) On the otherhand, those with young children, (like myself), need to guage bringing the children against the type of event. If I am worried that my child will be endangered or exposed to something bad, I just don't bring her, or I just don't go.

For those planning the event, this means that we need to know up front if this will be designated as an event where we can feel comfortable bringing small children, so we can make a responsible parenting choice. If "family friendly" is the order of the day, and this is known in advance, it is not unreasonable to expect everyone to respect that. On the otherhand, if an event is not designated family friendly, then those with children need to respect whatever that may entail. Different fun for different people, just let everyone know in advance what to expect. And rest assured, if you are going to the trouble of planning the event, nobody should criticise the choices you make for the type of event you are having.
I am amazed by how many people harp on the need to speak and write English in this country while exhibiting a fundamental lack of skills in the areas of spelling and sentence composition. Would this be irony, hypocrisy, or both?
s4xton
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Wed Jun 23, 2004 6:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

When all is said and done:

* If this is a MNGCA sponsored event, there should be some consensus on the board and with the host as to what the environment and parameters are.

* If this TwentySeven going out and hosting this on his own (or with a few other volunteers), he can decide to have the event any way he wants.

I find it ironic that the people requesting things to be a certain way on TwentySeven's event happen to be MnGCA board members. No offense, but if the MnGCA board wants more family-friendly events, why not make them?

-Aaron

Edit: Fixed spelling errors.
Lyverbird
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Wed Jun 23, 2004 8:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Got to admit Sir Generius and S4xton are right. It's 27's event.
Shutting up now.

wwpp
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
TwentySeven
Geocacher

PostPosted: Fri Jun 25, 2004 6:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is what I'm looking for: Definately family friendly! Bring the kids and lets have fun. My kids will be there. Start time around 10 or 11 am. If some people want to have a beer, fine. I would like to model the spring event. I feel it went well. I didn't see anyone get out of hand, and there were cans going around. There can be a tradional "get sauced" event afterwards at any of the local pubs afterwards if needed.

I was gone all day yesterday and wasn't able to scout areas. we have a month and a half to go. No need to worry now.

I wasn't looking to stir up the pot, Just to get a "get together" to meet some of the "southern" people that normally wouldn't go to the cities. Make something closer to them. And as I said before. ALL are welcome. Even Iowa![Wink]

Shane
King Boreas
Geocacher

PostPosted: Fri Jun 25, 2004 6:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
No need to worry now.

But how can I litter the park with cookie tins, if I don't know which park?

| : )
Kitch
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Fri Jun 25, 2004 6:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

King Boreas wrote:

But how can I litter the park with cookie tins, if I don't know which park?

You found out why he's stalling............... Confused
Post new topic   Reply to topic    MnGCA Forum Index -> Events All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: