MnGCA Home MnGCA
Minnesota Geocaching Association

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   User listUser list   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Front Page Content

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Pear Head
Past MnGCA President

PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2009 10:30 pm    Post subject: Front Page Content Reply with quote

A number of users have mentioned over a long period of time (many years?) that the front page of the website doesn't contain valuable or current information - it doesn't contain information that will further draw people into the organization.

One of the benefits when we rolled out the new website last fall was the opportunity to add content to the front page in an easier fashion, and spread the task out to whomever was assigned.

Some of you have probably noticed in the last month or so that there have been some new types of postings that we hadn't seen before, including sir_zman's TCGCPC, cache policy updates, etc.

We'd like to continue to improve on the front page content. With that in mind, I'd like to solicit content from anyone who wants to create it. A few guidelines:

Arrow The webmasters (and ultimately the board) reserves the right to edit or reject content. While it's not likely to happen, the right remains reserved.

Arrow We're looking for anything that may be of interest to our user base to read. My original thoughts would be things like:

Arrow post-event writeups
Arrow pre-event postings
Arrow technical articles (cache page creation tips, reviews of new GPSrs, etc)

Arrow I think that WeekNIGHT, FNC, and other regular events could be great additions to the post-event writeups, although I'm not sure they would be excellent as pre-event postings (although I may be wrong) unless there is something exceptional happening.

Arrow Adding some pictures to jazz up a writeup would be excellent but not required.

Arrow To get started, you can contact the webmasters:

http://mngca.org/contact

There is a category for front page articles on the contact form.

I'd suggest if you're interested in submitting material that you're not sure if it's something we're looking for that you contact us before writing the material. Otherwise you can submit the material directly using the form - hold onto your pictures (if you have any) and we'll email you for them (but make sure you mention in the email that you have pictures to add).

If you have any questions, please do ask.

This is an excellent opportunity to make the MnGCA's website your website.
Pear Head
Past MnGCA President

PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2009 3:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We've had a few submissions so far and I encourage more! What we have now is great!

Lucid (with his never-ending stream of suggestions) has suggested that we create a tab for Tech Tip Articles, which you'll now find in the top menu-bar of the main site.

This tab is a one-stop shopping place for all of our Tech Tip articles. It's currently sorted by the ratings in the articles.
Arcticabn
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2009 5:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK so how do you get the ranking thingamabob on your article? Some have them and some don't.
Pear Head
Past MnGCA President

PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2009 5:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Arcticabn wrote:
OK so how do you get the ranking thingamabob on your article? Some have them and some don't.

It depends on the type of article. Currently the cache policies and tech tips have it, the others don't (as it doesn't generally apply to the others). We're open to feedback on how this works.

Generally, there are multiple 'types' of content. Calendar events, front page stories (like the podcast stories, tick article, etc), tech tip articles (like caching along a route, loading PQs, etc), etc, etc. We can turn the rating system on only by category (so ALL tech tip articles have ratings for example), but can't turn it on for an individual node (so the Cacheside chats, which are front page stories, couldn't have them without all front page stories having them).

It can be a little confusing until you dig into it some.

Again, very open to feedback or suggestions, good or bad.
Arcticabn
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2009 6:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm more interested in hearing feed back on all articles not just tech. But that's just me.

Maybe it because I want to know if all of the work that goes into writing an article has any real payoff. It doesn't do to spend hours drafting up an article if once it gets posted only two or three individuals read it. Without some type of feed back or at least this article was viewed X times it's hard to figure out where to go next.
LucidOndine
Past MnGCA President

PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2009 6:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Arcticabn wrote:
I'm more interested in hearing feed back on all articles not just tech. But that's just me.

Maybe it because I want to know if all of the work that goes into writing an article has any real payoff. It doesn't do to spend hours drafting up an article if once it gets posted only two or three individuals read it. Without some type of feed back or at least this article was viewed X times it's hard to figure out where to go next.
Your article has been accessed 236 times since its inception. It could almost count as a tech article and could be reassigned as such. Razz
Arcticabn
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2009 7:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tks
Pear Head
Past MnGCA President

PostPosted: Tue Apr 20, 2010 4:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anyone want to write a short article concerning 10 Years of Geocaching and the events? There are currently 8 events listed for that weekend (first weekend in May).
EPMinnesota
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Mon Apr 26, 2010 8:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd like to see posts removed that become outdated. For instance, once a Breakfast Buddy event has passed I delete from the front/second page. I think only the most current info should be front paged and so on so that readers aren't seeing old junk.
Pear Head
Past MnGCA President

PostPosted: Mon Apr 26, 2010 6:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

EPMinnesota wrote:
I'd like to see posts removed that become outdated. For instance, once a Breakfast Buddy event has passed I delete from the front/second page. I think only the most current info should be front paged and so on so that readers aren't seeing old junk.

The problem is that as you delete stuff from the front page it just brings up older stuff to fill it's place.

I'd love to have folks (that means pretty much anyone) write stuff for putting to the front page, be it event reviews, tech articles, whatever. I've even toyed with the idea of YouTube videos of certain subject matter (instructional for example, or as part of an event review, etc).
Post new topic   Reply to topic    MnGCA Forum Index -> MnGCA Website All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: