MnGCA Home MnGCA
Minnesota Geocaching Association

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   User listUser list   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Heading to Cannon Falls
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
fireman121
Geocacher

PostPosted: Tue Apr 20, 2010 1:43 pm    Post subject: Heading to Cannon Falls Reply with quote

The family and I were thinking about doing some caching and biking in the Cannon Falls area. does anybody have and ideals were the best place to start off from, and if the trails are paved or not?
Rustynails
Geocacher

PostPosted: Tue Apr 20, 2010 2:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was thinking the same thing. But I read boating/canoe is the way to go for these caches. Many are on islands. If I had a way to do this, I would.
bflentje
Geocacher

PostPosted: Tue Apr 20, 2010 4:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Recheck your maps and cache listings. There are now enough caches to keep boaters and bikers happy. As for biking, if you're in caching mode, start in Cannon Falls and bike to Welch. If you're not caching, start at either Cannon Falls, Welch, Red Wing, or the three places the trail comes in contact with the road.
bflentje
Geocacher

PostPosted: Tue Apr 20, 2010 4:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh yeah, the bike trail is paved. It's an old railroad bed. There's a 350' elevation drop from Cannon Falls to Welch but you'd never know it because it runs just over 11.3 miles. You can go either direction pretty easily but eastward is the easiest.
dornole
Geocacher

PostPosted: Wed Apr 21, 2010 6:43 am    Post subject: Canoeing Reply with quote

Also rustyanils you can rent canoes or a kayak in Cannon Falls. We rented and put in in Cannon Falls a couple of years ago and had a great time finding a bunch of river caches. They send the truck to pick up you and your canoe when you are done and bring you back to your car. I think it was about $25. Also Bart usually plans an event if you wanted to do this will other people.
Bunganator
Geocacher

PostPosted: Wed Apr 21, 2010 7:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

To be more specific, on the west side of "downtown" Cannon Falls are what I assume are the actual "Cannon Falls." There is a parking lot next to these falls, right across from a grocery store, that marks the start of the bike trail. Then it goes on paved forever (or to Welch and Red Wing). Just down from these falls (north), there is a canoe landing.
fireman121
Geocacher

PostPosted: Wed Apr 21, 2010 10:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks to everbody for there input and help, now we have to wait and see what the weather will bring.
bflentje
Geocacher

PostPosted: Wed Apr 21, 2010 4:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd bet if you went after Saturday, you might have a shot at a few FTFs.. so I've heard anyways.
fireman121
Geocacher

PostPosted: Wed Apr 21, 2010 10:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

HMMMMMMMMMM.
bflentje
Geocacher

PostPosted: Thu Apr 22, 2010 5:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

fireman121 wrote:
HMMMMMMMMMM.

That's just a rumor though. If you had Saturday plans, maybe I'll see you out there. Smile
Rustynails
Geocacher

PostPosted: Thu Apr 22, 2010 6:52 am    Post subject: Re: Canoeing Reply with quote

dornole wrote:
Also rustyanils you can rent canoes or a kayak in Cannon Falls. We rented and put in in Cannon Falls a couple of years ago and had a great time finding a bunch of river caches. They send the truck to pick up you and your canoe when you are done and bring you back to your car. I think it was about $25. Also Bart usually plans an event if you wanted to do this will other people.

Thanks for the info, but what event and when? Thanks
bflentje
Geocacher

PostPosted: Thu Apr 22, 2010 8:32 am    Post subject: Re: Canoeing Reply with quote

Rustynails wrote:
dornole wrote:

Thanks for the info, but what event and when? Thanks

Isn't posted yet because it's too far out on the calendar based on geocaching.com guidelines. But the 3rd Annual Canoe-in Geocaching Event is scheduled for Saturday, August 21st. GC-number coming once the event is 90 days out. This year, the bike trail is an alternative option for those not wanting to be on the water (wimps). Laughing The event is held at Miesville Ravine Regional Park and the canoe route is Cannon Falls to Miesville ravine landing. Picnic follows the paddle which includes corn feed.

Can Pearhead list an event on the frontpage without the GC number? I bet technically he can. But will he? Wink Wink
bflentje
Geocacher

PostPosted: Thu Apr 22, 2010 8:46 am    Post subject: Re: Canoeing Reply with quote

bflentje wrote:
Can Pearhead list an event on the frontpage without the GC number? I bet technically he can. But will he? Wink Wink

Unpublished Event Listing..

Minnesota's 3rd Annual Canoe-in Geocaching Event (GC278EQ)

I would guess on or after May 15th is when the link will go live.
Pear Head
Past MnGCA President

PostPosted: Thu Apr 22, 2010 11:39 am    Post subject: Re: Canoeing Reply with quote

bflentje wrote:
bflentje wrote:

Unpublished Event Listing..

Minnesota's 3rd Annual Canoe-in Geocaching Event (GC278EQ)

I would guess on or after May 15th is when the link will go live.

I published the event on the MnGCA site. I picked a start time of 9am - you can edit it (and the rest of the node) if you like.

http://mngca.org/node/551

For everyone's information - any registered user can submit events (it's on the front page, left-side menu, "Submit an Event"). I try and submit what I see listed on gc.com from time to time but feel free to submit your own as well!
hijfte
Geocacher

PostPosted: Mon Jun 21, 2010 10:01 pm    Post subject: Cannon over 6 ft?? Reply with quote

Has anyone done the Cannon for geocaching in high/fast water? High is above 5.5' and the reading today is 6.05' with more rain expected this week. Thinking of doing Cannon Falls to Welch this weekend. Welch canoe/tubing rentals isn't even open because of high water. Are we talking safety issues at this speed? Will we even be able to slow down enough to stop at islands to cache? Any other suggestions for an overnight with a bunch of canoe caches not too far from the cities?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    MnGCA Forum Index -> Southern MN All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: