MnGCA Home MnGCA
Minnesota Geocaching Association

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   User listUser list   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Local Geocaching Club - Brainerd

View previous topic :: View next topic  
The Zombie Geocacher
Geocacher

PostPosted: Sat Apr 17, 2010 6:08 pm    Post subject: Local Geocaching Club - Brainerd Reply with quote

Hi Everyone
I have had several people approach me about starting a local geocaching club here in the Brainerd Lakes Area. I would love to do this. Can anyone give me any pointers on how to get started?

Thanks
Robb
aka
The Zombie Geocacher
Pear Head
Past MnGCA President

PostPosted: Sat Apr 17, 2010 7:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Local Geocaching Club - Brainerd Reply with quote

The Zombie Geocacher wrote:
Hi Everyone
I have had several people approach me about starting a local geocaching club here in the Brainerd Lakes Area. I would love to do this. Can anyone give me any pointers on how to get started?

I guess I'd start by identifying the goals of the organization - a Mission Statement for example.
speedysk1
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Mon Apr 19, 2010 7:57 am    Post subject: Re: Local Geocaching Club - Brainerd Reply with quote

The Zombie Geocacher wrote:
Hi Everyone

Thanks
Robb
aka
The Zombie Geocacher

As PH noted, just come up with what you want to do as a club. Will it be just a social club or do you have other goals?
Also feel free to use our forums to help organize meetings etc. It's great to hear about a local club. We've been looking for a good way to get local clubs going, so I know I'll be looking forward to hearing how this goes.

Good Luck!
Hunter-Killer
Geocacher

PostPosted: Sat Apr 24, 2010 6:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Identify who is in the immediate area and correspond with them via email and msn, maybe have a get together at a local coffee shop discuss what you would like to see happen in the area, then branch out from there. Do you all share the same vision, perhaps having a few events that will get families together that share the same enthusiasm for caching.

Getting in touch with locals that are in the area is the best way to start and see what they are interested in. We just did a tour around Mille Lacs Lake Last week and really enjoyed ourselves, seeing a place we have never been to, other than the drag strip. Nice area to promote, so get together with some locals and see if they share your zeal. I am sure they do. This forum is here for that purpose. Take care, and good luck
Pear Head
Past MnGCA President

PostPosted: Sat Apr 24, 2010 7:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's often easiest to start by hosting a couple of events, see who comes, and talk about your ideas...
nrthlake
Geocacher

PostPosted: Thu Jul 01, 2010 9:04 am    Post subject: Brainerd Group Reply with quote

It sounds like a great idea. We are in Crosslake and there are quite a few cachers in our area that are pretty involved. Let us know when you get something organized. We will spread the word.
MNMizzou
Geocacher

PostPosted: Thu Jul 01, 2010 10:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Might I suggest using the tire that is already on the car? You posted here in this space, point more of the Brainerd area cachers to this Northern MN board, make use of it. Personally, as a moderator, if you post a week night type event targeting the Brainerd Lakes area in this area, or whatever it might be I think that is fine and great, I'm not going to tell you to move it to the events section. You want to target northland cachers without all the "clutter" of the Cities chatter... I get that, and to me these regional boards should have a broader base and appeal for that reason.

The bonus of using this forum is you can build up the "local" cacher base, and many metro cachers who look over all the forums have an excellent chance of getting a "heads up" of an event if they're going up north for some R&R. Or if you want to head to the Cities or down south you already know where to go to look for information.

That's not to say you can't form something totally new, but it's here, it's free, why not use it?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    MnGCA Forum Index -> Northern MN All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: