MnGCA Home MnGCA
Minnesota Geocaching Association

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   User listUser list   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Garmin Dakota 10

View previous topic :: View next topic  
fireman121
Geocacher

PostPosted: Sun Mar 28, 2010 8:28 am    Post subject: Garmin Dakota 10 Reply with quote

I am thinking about upgrading to a Garmin Dakota 10 if any body has one out there I would love to here the pro and cons of that unit.
loneeagle_24
Geocacher

PostPosted: Mon Mar 29, 2010 5:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just so you are aware of it the dakota units are not Wherigo capable. If you look at my earlier thread I asked specifically about that in that thread. Don't have a Dakota so I wouldn't know of any other things pro or con about them.
quatch27
Geocacher

PostPosted: Tue Mar 30, 2010 9:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I received a Dakota 10 September of last year, shortly after I discovered geocaching. Previous to the Dakota 10 I was using a BlackBerry Storm. So this is really the first and only GPS I've owned for geocaching. So far I've been quite happy with it. I've found the touch screen responsive and the layout is fairly intuitive. If you don't like the layout you can customize it for your preferences. I've been able to give the Dakota to my 9 year old daughter and she has been able to navigate around it(switching screens, looking up cache information,ect...) without too much of problem. I also don't have any qualms about handing the GPS over to my 5 year so she can lead the way at times. The unit's been dropped, kicked and banged into I don't know how many different objects and this little thing just continues to point the way. Battery life is pretty good. I use rechargeable batteries in it, and it usually lasts about 15 hours or so. I've also found the size of the Dakota 10 to be just right, it fits comfortably into one hand and I can do a few things one handed.

The major draw back I've noticed with Dakota 10 is the screen can be difficult to read in certain lights. Leaving the back light really helps, but it does draw down the battery quicker.

Bottom line, would I recommend this unit to someone? Yes I would, it's been a good unit for me and the family. Hope that helps.
fireman121
Geocacher

PostPosted: Thu Apr 01, 2010 11:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Decided to get the Dakota 20, thanks to ever one for your input. Now all I have do to is figure out how to down load waypoints to it.
MNMizzou
Geocacher

PostPosted: Thu Apr 01, 2010 2:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

fireman121 wrote:
Decided to get the Dakota 20, thanks to ever one for your input. Now all I have do to is figure out how to down load waypoints to it.

I'm assuming it is like the Oregon, plug it in and it should act like another drive on your computer. Open the Garmin drive letter up (varies depending on what all you have plugged in) then open the folder that says Garmin, then open the Folder that says GPX. When you run a PQ unzip it and you can just drag the PQ over into the GPX folder and presto, caches are now in your machine!
fireman121
Geocacher

PostPosted: Fri Apr 02, 2010 8:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great cant wait to try it.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    MnGCA Forum Index -> Tech Talk All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: