MnGCA Home MnGCA
Minnesota Geocaching Association

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   User listUser list   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Downloading to directly to GPS from Geocaching.com
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Cachinggrandpa
Geocacher

PostPosted: Wed Sep 09, 2009 7:08 am    Post subject: Downloading to directly to GPS from Geocaching.com Reply with quote

I am looking for a new GPS and one thing I want to do is download directly from Geocaching.com to the GPS and have a couple of questions. I posted the following to Groundspeak forums:
1. Do I need to be a premium member to do this?
2. What GPSs can do this? Am I limited to Magellan Triton and Garmin Colorado?
3. What information is downloaded? I assume the coordinates and the GC number. What about the description and hints? Is anything else downloaded?

Got a few different answers of course but it does seem that you are limited to Garmin models. 1 response mentioned the Oregon and the Colorado.
1 response said the information sent depends on the model of the GPS. What model would I need to get coordinates, GC number, name description, and the hint? Is here any other information downloaded?

I would mostly be using the “send to GPS button” on the main cache page. But if I could check the box on the search page and download several at the same time that would be nice too.

Thanks in advance for your help. I have received lots of good help here before.

CachingGrandpa
qwerty2582
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Wed Sep 09, 2009 7:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The only thing I can comment on is the Delorme I've used. I've had a Delorme PN-20 since I started this hobby in April, and it works well for me.

The "Send to GPS" button sends the Cache name, Difficulty/Terrain, Short Description, Long Description, Inventory (how many travel bugs/geocoins are in the cache), cache hider, and the hint. To the best of my memory, that's what it sends (mine's in the shop right now so I can't check)...

A premium membership isn't necessary to get that detail (to the best of my knowledge... I guess I've always had one, so I didn't actually try it...)

Since I do have the premium membership, I use a lot of Pocket Queries to load my GPS. With a Pocket Query, you can run an advanced search (say, give me 300 traditional or multi caches closest to home, or whatever coordinates you want), and it pops it in a file that can be loaded to the GPS. I think with the Delormes, you load the GPX file into Topo USA (which comes with the GPS), then load it to the GPS from there. I invested in a program called Cache Register (by Delorme, a whopping $10), which pulls the Pocket Query directly from geocaching.com (after it's been run), and plops it right on the GPS. Makes it really easy to manage.

I pretty much use Pocket Queries for 99% of the caches on my GPS, and use Send to GPS for the puzzles I've solved that need to go onto my GPS.

That's what I've got about Delorme's. My experience is based on a PN-20 with the newest firmware (which can be downloaded from the website), which adds a lot of the paperless geocaching features as well (log directly from the GPS, then upload them when you get home) that was previously only on the PN-40.

Let me know if I can be of further assistance.

qwerty2582
Red_Devil35
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Wed Sep 09, 2009 9:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pocket querys rock! You can load up to 500 caches at once into your GPS. Possibly more, 500 is the largest I have ever used.
As to the type of GPS, anything Garmin above the yellow etrex can be connected to your computer; I can't speak about other brands. A really good way to get some idea as to the GPS you may want is to talk to folks at an event, there are always multiple types at any event.
MNMizzou
Geocacher

PostPosted: Wed Sep 09, 2009 10:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I believe just about any Garmin that can take advantage of the Garmin Communicator plug in will be able to download individual caches, as that is the engine that drives the exchange to a Garmin. I'm guessing pretty much any newer unit will do it, and now that I think about it I think I did it once for my brother in law when he was borrowing my old yellow. The trick is just getting some of the older non-USB units connected to your computer.

As for the premium membership requirement, I have to say I don't know for sure, I have one, so that feature has always been there for me, I would say if you can click on the send to GPS button it will be there for you, if it is a premium only you may not see that or they may grey it out. If it is greyed out, it isn't because you don't have a GPS hooked up, it is because you have to be a premium member. (I see the button just fine without my GPS hooked up, if that makes sense)
Arcticabn
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Wed Sep 09, 2009 11:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The "Send to GPS" feature does not require a premium membership. Only registration and log in to the site.

The "Send to GPS" feature works with the DeLorme PN series GPSr if you have the DeLorme GPSr plug in which can be found here:

http://delorme.http.internapcdn.net/deLorme_vitalstream_com/pluginpage/default.htm

The "Send to GPS" feature works with various Garmin GPSrs with a couple of conditions. 1) it should be a USB connection to the computer 2) the Garmin communicator plugin is installed on your PC. The plug in can be found here:

http://www8.garmin.com/products/communicator/

According to Garmin you can try and use a serial to USB adapter and it may still work. However, the plugin is not certified for that mode.

In both cases the communications plugin is used for more things than just this. It provides an interface between your GPSR and the web browser that can communicate with the manufacture website.
Girldog
Geocacher

PostPosted: Thu Mar 25, 2010 5:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is any one having trouble with the NEw 3.6.2 FireFox browser upgrade and the plug-in for the Delorme gps's. It says it is there when i check out firefox plug-in. when i try to download it says the plug-in is missing.
IBcrashen
Geocacher

PostPosted: Thu Mar 25, 2010 5:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

as Pax42 stated on the GC boards its known Firefox 3.6 and the Delorme pug-in doesnt work right now. Delorme is working on it. GC board
Girldog
Geocacher

PostPosted: Fri Mar 26, 2010 5:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks so much.
dmnrec
Geocacher

PostPosted: Fri Mar 26, 2010 6:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I finally got around to buying the converter I needed to hook up my Garmin to my new laptop. I went to the site and downloaded the communicator plug-in (successfully), but it couldn't detect my GPS. I tried several times to download the USB drivers, and it still cannot detect it...GC.com cannot detect it as well. I did see on the Garmin website that they discontinued the etrex legend...is that why it will not work?
IBcrashen
Geocacher

PostPosted: Fri Mar 26, 2010 6:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dmnrec wrote:
I finally got around to buying the converter I needed to hook up my Garmin to my new laptop. I went to the site and downloaded the communicator plug-in (successfully), but it couldn't detect my GPS. I tried several times to download the USB drivers, and it still cannot detect it...GC.com cannot detect it as well. I did see on the Garmin website that they discontinued the etrex legend...is that why it will not work?

You dont need the USB drivers, the PC still sees the gps as a serial device. Does the PC make a sound when you hook it up and turn it on? Did the converter come with a disk to install it?
Also there is no guarantee that the communicator will work hooking it up this way. Its hit and miss with different converters. garmins FAQ 3 & 5 questions.

Last edited by IBcrashen on Fri Mar 26, 2010 6:39 pm; edited 1 time in total
Pear Head
Past MnGCA President

PostPosted: Fri Mar 26, 2010 6:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dmnrec wrote:

Does the etrex have a USB port or is it just a serial port? Is it that flat connector?
dmnrec
Geocacher

PostPosted: Sat Mar 27, 2010 6:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My etrex came with a interface cable RS-232 serial port connector, which I used to be able to connect to my desktop and download coords with (acc. to the manual it's a PC-compatible serial port)...my laptop doesn't have the 9 pin connection that the cable needs, so I bought on ebay a USB 2.0 to 9 pin RS 232 com port serial convert adapter and plugged it into the USB port on my laptop.

At last year's spring event, they were able to hook it up and download coords from the laptops there, but I wasn't paying attention to what they used.

Hope this make sense...it doesn't to me Laughing
Pear Head
Past MnGCA President

PostPosted: Sat Mar 27, 2010 8:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think your GPS falls under the hit and miss of the Garmin FAQ, question 3. I don't think question 5 applies to USB <=> serial converters, but rather I think they're talking about the USB drivers for the GPS itself. Just a guess.
dmnrec
Geocacher

PostPosted: Sat Mar 27, 2010 10:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

oh well Rolling Eyes
...thanks
IBcrashen
Geocacher

PostPosted: Sat Mar 27, 2010 2:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are other & better programs you can use to put the info on the gps which they were probably using at the meeting.

But first  you never answered if you got software for the adopter & installed it? You do need software so the pc knows to make a "virtual com port" out of the USB. If you didn't get any with it contact the seller & they should help on that, if not get a refund and/or leave negative feedback.

Next does your laptop see the gps when you hook it up & turn it on? If it does try the communicator or maybe EasyGPS (free) or GSAK.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    MnGCA Forum Index -> Tech Talk All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: