MnGCA Home MnGCA
Minnesota Geocaching Association

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   User listUser list   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Minnesota River Flooding

View previous topic :: View next topic  
loneeagle_24
Geocacher

PostPosted: Mon Mar 15, 2010 11:24 am    Post subject: Minnesota River Flooding Reply with quote

As with some of the others that have caches near the rivers..... I will be checking on my caches in the next couple of days, and probably be removing them temporarily till after the threat of flooding has gone down. I am referring to the caches I have placed right near the river here in Montevideo as most of them are flood prone.
TheGilby4
Geocacher

PostPosted: Mon Mar 15, 2010 3:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was in Bloomington at the Xcel Energy Black Dog Power Plant today, and they expect the river to be over the "Black Dog Road" by Thursday of this week! They told me that they then expect it to rise another 7 feet above that, with a possibility of 9 feet. So, if you have caches that you want to retrieve/disable down in the valley between Chaska to St. Paul, you better get a move on! Shocked
bflentje
Geocacher

PostPosted: Tue Mar 16, 2010 9:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TheGilby4 wrote:
I was in Bloomington at the Xcel Energy Black Dog Power Plant today, and they expect the river to be over the "Black Dog Road" by Thursday of this week! They told me that they then expect it to rise another 7 feet above that, with a possibility of 9 feet. So, if you have caches that you want to retrieve/disable down in the valley between Chaska to St. Paul, you better get a move on! Shocked

9' above the road at the power plant? No way...
loneeagle_24
Geocacher

PostPosted: Thu Mar 18, 2010 6:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Was not able to get to a few of my caches as the water level was already up above the level of the path to get to them. If I would have had hip-waders I probably could have gotten to them. The river is just too high to try and get them. I did remove the ones I could get to and I disabled a few others that are close to the flood plain down river.

They are only talking another 3' or so of rise. If that's the case most of my caches should still be high and dry, let's hope anyway. I tried to place them higher to avoid most of the water if it did happen to rise above normal height in a normal year.

I think the are talking sometime on Saturday for the crest here in Montevideo. I'm sure it will take at least a couple of weeks for the water to go down and probably another couple to get dry enough to check on the caches.

I disabled all of them that I thought would cause problems to get to while the water is high. I think it is like about a dozen of them.
loneeagle_24
Geocacher

PostPosted: Tue Apr 06, 2010 5:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Water has started its slow retreat back into the banks. Thus as it dries out and I am able to I will start replaceing those I removed (should be able to get 2-3 back up and running in the next few days) and check on the ones I didn't get to. As this happens I will enable them again. Please be advised that some of these mght take a month or so yet to get at.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    MnGCA Forum Index -> Southern MN All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: