MnGCA Home MnGCA
Minnesota Geocaching Association

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   User listUser list   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

July 2004 Cache of the Month - VOTE HERE

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    MnGCA Forum Index -> Cache of the Month
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Your vote is for?
Almost In The Park by MarcBurkhart
30%
 30%  [ 3 ]
Lair by ka0atu
70%
 70%  [ 7 ]
Total Votes : 10

towlebooth
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Thu Jun 17, 2004 6:24 am    Post subject: July 2004 Cache of the Month - VOTE HERE Reply with quote

It's time to vote! In this post you will find the caches which have been nominated to be the MnGCA July Cache of the Month.

Voting ends on June 30th. Rules for nominations Arrow here. Thanks to those who submitted nominations and to all voters!

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Nomination articles: (in the order they were nominated)
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

1) Almost In The Park (GCGZET) by MarcBurkhart (nominated by TwentySeven)

This Cache is located on the owner’s property, ONLY because the area he wanted to put the cache is a state park. Here is the excerpt from the cache page:

Quote:
This cache is actually to get you to come out on to the point, especially at sunset for the view. So after you have found the cache, follow the path on down the hill and up again, bearing to the right and you will come to the bench for your spectacular sunsets.
The cache was originally going to be placed on the point but it couldn't be approved by the DNR yet until they get their policy written.

Zoejamm72 and I were out caching. Marc (owner) was out moving the deer fence in his yard saw us signing the log and came over to chat awhile. He told us about the point and was very passionate about coming out to the view. I would have just singed the log and left, but he took us to the point and we enjoyed a breathtaking view! If you parked in front of his home and took the short way to the cache you only have to walk about 200 feet to the point. You are standing high up on the edge of a valley. You can see nothing but forest below. There is a break in the trees where the Cottonwood River goes through. If you look across the river and to the left a little you can see where there is a clearing. That is the location of the public sand bottom pool. At the peak of fall at sunset would be the perfect time to come to this cache. I am making a note of it and will visit this cache again.

2) Lair (GC5D2D) by ka0atu (nominated by s4xton)

Lair by ka0atu was one of my favorite caches this spring. This hidden gem of a geocache has been around for over 2 years, yet it has been rarely noticed due to it's location near the Wisconsin and Iowa borders. After some stir about it in the forums started by Irvingdog, it has started to gain the attention it deserves.

Approaching the place to park is a trick by itself if you do not have a vehicle with high clearance. When the sign says "Low Maintenance Road," trust it. From the parking area, you can see the cache location in the distance and you have to make a few decisions as to how you want to get to it. I honestly feel there isn't a right or wrong way, and how you choose to get to it is up to you.

Due to the hike, take the cache owner's advice: "Bring water and a camera." You'll need both. The rewarding view at the final location right above the cache is one of the best from a cache site in Minnesota, at least from my experience. Take photos. Not only will you want to stay there for the view, you'll want to stay there for a water break from the hiking and climbing.

The cache itself isn't a difficult hide, but take the difficulty rating to represent the difficulty of figuring out how to get to it from the start point.

...and to add an element of suspense, according to the cache owner a local farmer "said that there has been a cougar sighted in the area in the past. Also he has seen a bear recently, so keep an eye out for these guys."

Don't just take my words for it. Have a read through the detailed logs from previous visitors.
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    MnGCA Forum Index -> Cache of the Month All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: