MnGCA Home MnGCA
Minnesota Geocaching Association

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   User listUser list   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

St pattys day event, Duluth.

View previous topic :: View next topic  
NeoAddict
Geocacher

PostPosted: Fri Feb 26, 2010 9:06 am    Post subject: St pattys day event, Duluth. Reply with quote

I would like to host an event St pattys day here in Duluth. But I have no experience planning events. At all. Any locals here have any good ideas? Where, what time, etc.

I'm also doing An event on march 23, celebrating national puppy day Smile
Pear Head
Past MnGCA President

PostPosted: Fri Feb 26, 2010 10:36 am    Post subject: Re: St pattys day event, Duluth. Reply with quote

NeoAddict wrote:
I would like to host an event St pattys day here in Duluth. But I have no experience planning events. At all. Any locals here have any good ideas? Where, what time, etc.

I'm also doing An event on march 23, celebrating national puppy day Smile

Personally I'd suggest finding a restaurant that can handle 15-20 in the evening. I'd suggest making it around 6pm or so as most people are done with work by then.

Finding the restaurant can be tricky as few will reserve large amounts of space without a deposit or minimum order.

I believe the Maya may work - I've hosted an event there before with mixed results - they have the space, but communicating with them your needs (we're going to have about 20 people and would all like to sit together, perhaps upstairs) didn't go as easily as planned.

The Duluth Grill has a room but it tops out at about 15 or so people.

The Sports Garden has a few different rooms - I don't know anything about their pricing though as I've only attended events there, not set them up or paid for them. They may give you a meeting room and let you eat off the menu, or they may charge for it. Personally, depending on the pricing (if they're willing to give the space for us at no charge if we eat there), the Sports Garden may be ideal. They may also be able to accommodate a decent group outside of the meeting space.

TheCollector had an event at Bulldog Pizza which I heard was a success although I wasn't able to attend - you may want to email Chuck to get the details.

As far as planning, that's about all I've ever done for my events. Plan the restaurant out and make the page and they will come. I'd suggest for a weekday evening event to plan on 15-20 and then update the restaurant if the number changes significantly. Always plan for additional people (perhaps 25%) - a lot of people don't post 'will attend' logs.
Kurt Franke
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Fri Feb 26, 2010 5:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How about the Hacienda Del Sol. One of my favorite spots in Duluth and an apropriate spot for a Saint Patty's day celbration, no doubt!

Okay, how about Cinco del Mayo then?
Pear Head
Past MnGCA President

PostPosted: Fri Feb 26, 2010 5:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kurt Franke wrote:
How about the Hacienda Del Sol.

Funny - I've lived here all my life and have never eaten there.
NeoAddict
Geocacher

PostPosted: Sat Feb 27, 2010 8:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Really? Hacienda is excellent! Perhaps I'll do an event there for cinco de mayo or something.

I don't think I'll be doing the St pattys event after all. Not enough time to properly prepare for what I'd like to do. But I did just post my national puppy day event for the 23rd. Come come!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    MnGCA Forum Index -> Events All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: