MnGCA Home MnGCA
Minnesota Geocaching Association

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   User listUser list   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Anyone using a Verizon Droid for geocaching?
Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
sir_zman
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2010 9:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Red_Devil35 wrote:

Yeah, I've heard that. Three times now, in fact. Wink

Yeah, yeah, the submit page returned a "Service not available" message to me, so I thought the server went down, I just kept hitting refresh every few minutes to see if it was back up so my post would be posted....when I got an email saying the thread had been replied to I clicked the link in the email and saw the page was up and that I had actually posted it a few times, so I removed the extras. Not sure why the server gave me that message.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
sir_zman
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2010 9:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

sir_zman wrote:

Yeah, yeah, the submit page returned a "Service not available" message to me, so I thought the server went down, I just kept hitting refresh every few minutes to see if it was back up so my post would be posted...

Got it again:

503 Service Unavailable

The server is temporarily busy, try again later!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Red_Devil35
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2010 10:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

sir_zman wrote:
Red_Devil35 wrote:

Yeah, I've heard that. Three times now, in fact. Wink

Yeah, yeah, the submit page returned a "Service not available" message to me, so I thought the server went down, I just kept hitting refresh every few minutes to see if it was back up so my post would be posted....when I got an email saying the thread had been replied to I clicked the link in the email and saw the page was up and that I had actually posted it a few times, so I removed the extras. Not sure why the server gave me that message.

Just pulling on your chain Z!
sir_zman
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2010 11:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gave C:Geo a try this weekend, here are my thoughts.
1) if there is an auto routing feature, I couldn't find it, so needed my GPS to get from cache to cache.
2) tried using the navigate to cache arrow from my car and it didn't refresh very fast, often was telling me the wrong direction and the number of feet/miles didn't change very fast.
3) when out of my car and actually searching, it was better, but still seemed slow to update and wobbled around a bunch, but I was able to find the cache
4) the ability to see all the caches near by me on a map was very cool
5) the ability to log my find right from my car (without having to use the GC website) was very easy and cool.

Overall: I think this device is fine if you find yourself without a GPS and early for a meeting and needing to waste some time, but I won't be replacing my GPS with it anytime soon.
The Hipster
Geocacher

PostPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2010 3:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sir_zman wrote:
Gave C:Geo a try this weekend, here are my thoughts.
1) if there is an auto routing feature, I couldn't find it, so needed my GPS to get from cache to cache.
2) tried using the navigate to cache arrow from my car and it didn't refresh very fast, often was telling me the wrong direction and the number of feet/miles didn't change very fast.
3) when out of my car and actually searching, it was better, but still seemed slow to update and wobbled around a bunch, but I was able to find the cache
4) the ability to see all the caches nearby me on a map was very cool
5) the ability to log my find right from my car (without having to use the GC website) was very easy and cool.

Overall: I think this device is fine if you find yourself without a GPS and early for a meeting and needing to waste some time, but I won't be replacing my GPS with it anytime soon.

My experience so far is similar though I use it differently:
1) I do not care about auto routing as I use my car Nuvi to get about
2&3) I rarely ever use the pointer on my Colorado or Oregon preferring the map view, so having it somewhat wonky on the Droid is not a problem for me either. One can set how often ones Droid GPS updates, so that may make a significant difference in how the pointer reacts.
4) Seeing all the caches nearby on a map is indeed very cool
5) Logging on the fly without having to bring up the cache page on my Blackberry is very handy
6) The quickness of looking up caches via different parameters, on the fly, is very handy.

Will c:geo running on the Droid replace my Nuvi, Colorado & Oregon ... No! (Quickly looking up a cache & then entering the coordinates into the Colorado or Oregon while traveling is something I can see doing quite often.)
Will it join the other geocaching tools on a typical cache hunt? Yes!
c_dog
Geocacher

PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2010 8:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks like Groundspeak, at least in the forums, is starting to take a stance on C:Geo. References to the program's name and all links to it have been deleted citing that it violates 'Terms of Use'. Hopefully Groundspeak won't start banning accounts of C:Geo users like they did for use of the 'RefreshAllGPX' GSAK macros.

Kind of a drag. I had hardly gotten a chance to play with it on my Nexus One.
King Boreas
Geocacher

PostPosted: Fri Feb 26, 2010 4:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

w00t! Embarassed

figured out the mobile upload for Facebook. heh

WAY easier than I was trying to make it. Plan to be busy today. Oh yeah ...
sir_zman
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Fri Feb 26, 2010 5:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

King Boreas wrote:
w00t! Embarassed

Mobile upload for what, photos? there is a trick to that....if you use the Facebook app that comes loaded with the Droid, it will shrink the photos to almost a thumbnail size, in stead go into your gallery, pick the photo you want and then on the side of the photo is a few buttons, click Share and choose Facebook, that will upload a larger photo.
King Boreas
Geocacher

PostPosted: Fri Feb 26, 2010 6:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

sir_zman wrote:
King Boreas wrote:
w00t! Embarassed

Mobile upload for what, photos? there is a trick to that....if you use the Facebook app that comes loaded with the Droid, it will shrink the photos to almost a thumbnail size, in stead go into your gallery, pick the photo you want and then on the side of the photo is a few buttons, click Share and choose Facebook, that will upload a larger photo.

Thanks, I just found that out when I looked at it at home.
uffda320
Geocacher

PostPosted: Fri Feb 26, 2010 3:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been playing around with c:geo too, on my droid. Very cool app. It won't replace my nuvi or 60csx, but it'll make life a little easier. If they take it away, I'll just load cachemate and use that (it costs $8 though).
King Boreas
Geocacher

PostPosted: Sat Feb 27, 2010 11:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lanesboro, Brownsville, Reno, Austin, Iowa, Owatonna, I-90 from the WI border to I-35, etc. etc.

Picked up the listings while driving through. Used the DROID because I didn't know where we'd be going. Accuracy was surprising good yesterday.
The Hipster
Geocacher

PostPosted: Sat Feb 27, 2010 3:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

King Boreas wrote:
Lanesboro, Brownsville, Reno, Austin, Iowa, Owatonna, I-90 from the WI border to I-35, etc. etc.

Picked up the listings while driving through. Used the DROID because I didn't know where we'd be going. Accuracy was surprising good yesterday.
Exactly why it is a handy tool to have in one's arsenal!
15Tango
MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Sat Feb 27, 2010 8:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got a lot of use out of c:geo today because PQ's were broken and didn't generate before I headed up to Maplewood. It was great for looking at cache descriptions and logs, and that's about all I used it for. There were a couple of instances where I would be standing right on a cache according to my GPS, but it wasn't showing up at all on c:geo - I'd back all the way out of the program and back in and then the cache would be there. I never did get it to take any of my logs in the field - I think I tried Breakfast Buddies three or four times while I was there. But then again, I still enjoy logging them the old fashioned way, at home on the computer while enjoying a beverage or two. It also "force closed" a couple of times. Now I just hope I don't get flagged for all my c:geo use today and lose my coveted "Charter Member" status.
Manfromwillow
Geocacher

PostPosted: Thu Jun 17, 2010 1:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hello, just wondering if it is possible to send info from the droid directly to a gps reciever, such as a cache listing, via mini usb cable?
Pear Head
Past MnGCA President

PostPosted: Thu Jun 17, 2010 7:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Manfromwillow wrote:
hello, just wondering if it is possible to send info from the droid directly to a gps reciever, such as a cache listing, via mini usb cable?

No. Both devices are USB clients, neither are a USB host.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    MnGCA Forum Index -> Tech Talk All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: