MnGCA Home MnGCA
Minnesota Geocaching Association

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   User listUser list   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

National Parks and Recreation Geocache Seminar in St Paul
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    MnGCA Forum Index -> MnGCA Volunteer Opportunities
View previous topic :: View next topic  
broken tooth
Geocacher

PostPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2010 4:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Count me in as well
dornole
Geocacher

PostPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2010 4:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It might be interesting to pull in some local parks staff to talk about geocaching and how it has played out in their parks, like a panel -- a picked panel of our greatest fans. Maybe the geocaching contests in the state parks would be something to highlight. I seem to remember reading some blissful data regarding how they increased parks attendance, etc. I don't know who the right people would be but I bet the board does. : ) You could also highlights how mncga has served in various advisory roles as a model of parks/geocacher cooperation.
Pear Head
Past MnGCA President

PostPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2010 5:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Moved to volunteer opportunities.
Draconisdax
Geocacher

PostPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2010 5:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Team GeoBlast wrote:
bflentje wrote:
Sounds perfect for Halloween Hoopla, one of Minnesota's most popular events.

Now, that sounds interesting. Can you tell me who is in charge of that event? Heh..they can all come as muggles!

Get enough muggles to sign the log book we can get a Mega!!!
Team GeoBlast
Geocacher

PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2010 1:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Boreal Walker wrote:
Marked the dates on my calendar. So far they are free. My two cents are that it is a good idea to pair up a cacher with a person from the convention. Take them out and show them what geocaching is all about, and stress that we like the environment.

Talking with some buddies of mine in the DNR their biggest complaint is the cacher trail that we tend to create and the misunderstanding that we leave garbage in the woods and ruin their WMA and WPA. I set them straight on the garbage, but there is a lot of misinformation out there.

I would say that the caches we take them to or direct them to should be "safe" and represent the best that we have to offer as far as stewards to the land. That is going to be the parks' biggest concern.

Boreal, I think this has been one of the biggest eye openers for me in my travels. it is absolutely amazing how much misinformation is out there among the land managers across the country in regards to Geocaching. Part of the credit for this phenom is that it's a really a difficult activity to explain to someone on the first pass. The other big factor is a lot of these parks people are introduced to it as a problem and it is so hard to work back to a positive place from that initial perspective.

Like I said in the first post, I think we could have done better in Utah by somehow providing a hands on experience. Your thought about pairing the parks people with some of the great Geocachers from Minnesota is really the holy grail here. I am just trying to figure out the best way to maximize the resources that we have and take everyone's temperature at this point. If we could have some of these people thinking that working with, instead of against, Geocachers could be beneficial to their profession that would be a really good thing.

I really appreciate the feedback so far.
Team GeoBlast
Geocacher

PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2010 1:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dornole wrote:
It might be interesting to pull in some local parks staff to talk about geocaching and how it has played out in their parks, like a panel -- a picked panel of our greatest fans. Maybe the geocaching contests in the state parks would be something to highlight. I seem to remember reading some blissful data regarding how they increased parks attendance, etc. I don't know who the right people would be but I bet the board does. : ) You could also highlights how mncga has served in various advisory roles as a model of parks/geocacher cooperation.

Contact information like this would be so valuable to set the ground work. How does one formally address the board? This feels a little like trying to pull back the curtain in the wizard of Oz. Wink
Boreal Walker
Geocacher

PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2010 2:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think we have a chance to shine as a state helping out with this. Among our ranks of Minnesota Cachers we have the most prolific hider in the world plus 1013 other cachers that have found over 200 caches placing us 13th in the nation. We also have 12918 active caches placing us 16th in the nation. For a total of 12.8 caches per cacher and a density of 0.149 caches per sq mi.

I think we can highlight some of the success stories that have happened. Some one mentioned the MN State Parks. The program that they started was fantastic, but it wouldn't have happened without the help of local cachers voluteering to help out. I also noticed that Anoka County Parks are now allowing caches. I don't know who was responsible for that, but maybe they can offer some insight into the process.

More caching opportunities is always an incentive for people to help out, so is a Mega if ArcherDragoon's idea works out.
knowschad
Geocacher

PostPosted: Wed May 05, 2010 1:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey, Mike! Took me a bit to find your thread here. Looks like you've already got some good information and some great potential helpers. While it was sure fun participating in the setting up of The Great Race, helping to educate the parks people is something that is becoming increasingly important to us here, as we see more and more regulations at the city and county level.

I don't know enough yet about my own plans to be able to commit. That's about the time that I generally like to take off for a vacation somewhere, but I don't have any definite plans made yet.

Dan
MamaDuck-24
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Sun Jun 27, 2010 4:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd be glad to help in any way that is needed.
Count me in.
EPMinnesota
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Sun Jun 27, 2010 5:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Setting a specific date in October when you are able is a good idea. The MnGCA fall event/elections is held in October so having your date set in stone would be helpful. That last weekend in October is a probably a great date for it too!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    MnGCA Forum Index -> MnGCA Volunteer Opportunities All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: