MnGCA Home MnGCA
Minnesota Geocaching Association

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   User listUser list   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

National Parks and Recreation Geocache Seminar in St Paul
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    MnGCA Forum Index -> MnGCA Volunteer Opportunities
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Team GeoBlast
Geocacher

PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2010 12:30 am    Post subject: National Parks and Recreation Geocache Seminar in St Paul Reply with quote

Aloha Everyone,

You may or may not remember me, but I go by the Geocaching moniker of Team GeoBlast and I am from Honolulu Hawaii. With the invaluable assistance of some very talented local Minnesota Geocachers I put together anl event in downtown Minnesota a few years ago called The Great Race. I am confident in saying that everyone had a great time and enjoyed the creative hides, human caches, and most of all the camaraderie of like minded individuals getting together in the dead of winter for some outdoor fun.

Last February, I presented Geocaching in front of a very large group of Park and Recreation Professionals at the NRPA (National Park and Recreation Association) in Salt Lake City Utah. The feedback was amazing and they have requested a more involved program in St. Paul in 2010.

In my own evaluation and ignoring all of the the very generous accolades, we could have done in better in Salt Lake City. We could have actually had people with a GPS in their hands Geocaching. This is where you come in Minnesota Geocachers! I would like to put together a Geocache hunt to end all Geocache hunts in St Paul this October 2010. If we could hold an event that paired local Geocahers with people who influence park and recreation programs all over the US, we could spread the wonderful world of Geocaching to INFLUENCERS, it would be a huge jump for our mutual pastime.

I'm looking to put together a committee of Minnesota's best Geocachers and blow our group of new cachers away.

It's early and I am just trying to access interest. Please respond here or to me personally at Mike@islandrecreation.net if you would like to help out.

Mahalo and Best Regards,

Mike
King Boreas
Geocacher

PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2010 2:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What date(s) in October?
Boreal Walker
Geocacher

PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2010 6:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This sounds interesting. It is a ways into the future, but if I am not working on that date I would be glad to help out.
bflentje
Geocacher

PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2010 10:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I too am interested but need dates. Turkey and pheasant hunting seasons are in October.
speedysk1
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2010 2:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd be glad to help if I can. I don't yet know what October will bring with work.
X51hz
Geocacher

PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2010 3:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am also intrested but need dates also, that is the bussiest time at work makeing the turkey loads for the hunters.
trista74
Geocacher

PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2010 3:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We would be willing to help, too. Just need to know the dates.
Team GeoBlast
Geocacher

PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2010 4:55 pm    Post subject: Re: National Parks and Recreation Geocache Seminar in St Pau Reply with quote

Hi Folks,

Pretty amazing that I could ramble on like that and forget to post the dates eh?

Here's the link to the convention:

http://www.nrpa.org/congress/

As someone already mentioned, this is a ways off still and I am not even sure exactly what day we will present yet. It will more than likely be on 10/28 or 10/29.

Right now, I would like to start a conversation with some local cachers about this and get a feel for what you think. Maybe tap into a few local resources that we would never locate without your help.

The main objective after the seminar is to present Geocaching in a positive light and show off your great state a little too. Our attendees are Park and Recreation professionals from all over the country. These are folks that we want on our side. These are essentially the people that work with us or work against us in every community in the US.

Some things that we kicked around in our evaluation in Salt Lake:

1. Hold a CITO event and offer instructional assistance on local caches or temporary caches.
2. Place a special cache or series of caches near the convention center and offer the opportunity as an alternative to a happy hour.
3. Hold an event similar to the Great Race and pair local cachers with folks from all over.

We have submitted a request to make Geocaching an official convention activity in addition to our seminar and expect to hear back in the few months on that. If this is accepted, then we will have a lot more resources at our disposal, transportation for example. If this happens, we will probably work through a convention coordinator but we still feel pretty strongly that we need local cachers assistance and to tell the story of Geocaching in their own way.

This is just a piece of clay right now but I envision different levels of involvement depending desire and time available. I'm obviously in Hawaii and appreciate all the help I can get.

Any and all thoughts are welcome.

Mike
bflentje
Geocacher

PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2010 5:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds perfect for Halloween Hoopla, one of Minnesota's most popular events.
King Boreas
Geocacher

PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2010 5:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bflentje wrote:

Hoopla
Team GeoBlast
Geocacher

PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2010 6:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bflentje wrote:

Now, that sounds interesting. Can you tell me who is in charge of that event? Heh..they can all come as muggles!
bflentje
Geocacher

PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2010 7:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Team GeoBlast wrote:
bflentje wrote:

Now, that sounds interesting. Can you tell me who is in charge of that event? Heh..they can all come as muggles!

The King has already spoken.. Laughing
Boreal Walker
Geocacher

PostPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2010 12:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Marked the dates on my calendar. So far they are free. My two cents are that it is a good idea to pair up a cacher with a person from the convention. Take them out and show them what geocaching is all about, and stress that we like the environment.

Talking with some buddies of mine in the DNR their biggest complaint is the cacher trail that we tend to create and the misunderstanding that we leave garbage in the woods and ruin their WMA and WPA. I set them straight on the garbage, but there is a lot of misinformation out there.

I would say that the caches we take them to or direct them to should be "safe" and represent the best that we have to offer as far as stewards to the land. That is going to be the parks' biggest concern.
EPMinnesota
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2010 8:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ahhhh! My team placed in the Great Race! I've been waiting for you to pop up with something new! I'd enjoy being involved!
Jam3s
Geocacher

PostPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2010 2:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would be willing to help with anything needed.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    MnGCA Forum Index -> MnGCA Volunteer Opportunities All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: