MnGCA Home MnGCA
Minnesota Geocaching Association

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   User listUser list   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

WeekNIGHT/FridayNIGHT caching block
Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Pear Head
Past MnGCA President

PostPosted: Sat Feb 20, 2010 8:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

EPMinnesota wrote:
Perhaps a raise for Pearhead could be on the agenda of the next board meeting. Shocked

I'd request that you double my salary.
Red_Devil35
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2010 8:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pear Head wrote:
EPMinnesota wrote:
Perhaps a raise for Pearhead could be on the agenda of the next board meeting. Shocked

I'd request that you double my salary.

Double only? I would say at least triple.
speedysk1
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2010 2:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pear Head wrote:

The logic was that most people that are logged in already know about the events (as they're logged in to read the forums). The idea was to promote the events for people that browse through the front page - try and suck them in. Twisted Evil

The block simply is looking at the text of recent topics in the Events forum - it picks out the three newest topics that start with "WeekNIGHT Caching" or "FridayNIGHT Caching" (case insensitive).

Would it be possible to make that available to people logged in as well?
Pear Head
Past MnGCA President

PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2010 7:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

speedysk1 wrote:
Pear Head wrote:

The logic was that most people that are logged in already know about the events (as they're logged in to read the forums). The idea was to promote the events for people that browse through the front page - try and suck them in. Twisted Evil

The block simply is looking at the text of recent topics in the Events forum - it picks out the three newest topics that start with "WeekNIGHT Caching" or "FridayNIGHT Caching" (case insensitive).

Would it be possible to make that available to people logged in as well?

I figured this would come up eventually.. Smile

That would be the ideal, yes. I haven't figured it out quite yet though, so no. Here's why:

I don't believe the block has enough value to display it by default on everyone's page.

I can make it available, but off by default, to everyone.

If I do that however then it's also off by default to the user that's not logged in (which defeats the main purpose). I haven't figured out, either through menus or by directly manipulating the database, how to turn it on for the user that's not logged in.

If things change then you'll be the second person (right behind me) to know.
speedysk1
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2010 9:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

FWIW, which isn't much, I would make it on by default for all users. I do think it has value to all users as not everyone that logs into the MnGCA site always looks in the forums.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    MnGCA Forum Index -> MnGCA Website All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: