MnGCA Home MnGCA
Minnesota Geocaching Association

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   User listUser list   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Anyone using a Verizon Droid for geocaching?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
TECGeoJim
Geocacher

PostPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2009 8:19 pm    Post subject: Anyone using a Verizon Droid for geocaching? Reply with quote

I was looking at the new Droid at a Verizon store and it looks like there are some geocaching apps available for it already.
sir_zman
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2009 11:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Geocaching Podcast did a review of the Google Android apps that were available over the summer...

http://www.geocachingpodcast.info/2009/08/episode-118-caching-with-android-phone.html
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
sir_zman
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Sat Nov 14, 2009 3:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just picked up a new Droid this afternoon. Going to start looking at the apps and see what works.

Anyone try any of the apps yet?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
mystagogic
Geocacher

PostPosted: Thu Nov 19, 2009 1:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sir_zman wrote:
Just picked up a new Droid this afternoon. Going to start looking at the apps and see what works.

Anyone try any of the apps yet?

I have tried using GeoBeagle with my Droid. It seems to work well, but I want to try some other apps for comparison.
sir_zman
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Thu Nov 19, 2009 2:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mystagogic wrote:
I have tried using GeoBeagle with my Droid. It seems to work well, but I want to try some other apps for comparison.

I downloaded GeoBeagle and GCDroid, when I open GeoBeagle it asks me to go to GC.com and pick a cache, when I do that, it opens the cache in GCDroid, which navigates me to the cache. Not sure how to get GeoBeagle to do the navigating...
mystagogic
Geocacher

PostPosted: Fri Nov 20, 2009 12:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sir_zman wrote:
mystagogic wrote:

I downloaded GeoBeagle and GCDroid, when I open GeoBeagle it asks me to go to GC.com and pick a cache, when I do that, it opens the cache in GCDroid, which navigates me to the cache. Not sure how to get GeoBeagle to do the navigating...

I didn't download GCDroid. I did download Radar. Picking a cache on GC.com and selecting Google Maps then gives me a choice of using the browser or GeoBeagle. GeoBeagle brings up the compass as a default with Map or Web Page as other options. I'll have to download GCDroid to try navigating to the cache.
15Tango
MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Tue Dec 22, 2009 12:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just got a Motorola Cliq and I've been trying a few various apps. Like sir_zman, I have to use one app to download a gpx file (GeoBeagle) and another app to navigate to it (GCDroid). I also downloaded openGPX, but it keeps crashing. Right now, I'm wondering if it's worth the $8 to download CacheMate - I'm struggling with getting GPX files from GSAK on my PC to my phone.

I suppose us non iPhone folks will just have to continue to wait for gc.com to develop an app for the rest of us.
speedysk1
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Tue Dec 22, 2009 2:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

15Tango wrote:
I suppose us non iPhone folks will just have to continue to wait for gc.com to develop an app for the rest of us.

GC said they are working on an Android version of their app. Don't know when it will be available though.
15Tango
MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Wed Dec 23, 2009 9:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I finally figured out that I could open the attachment for my latest PQ right on my phone, so I solved the issue of getting my PC to talk to my phone and vice versa. Alas, GeoBeagle keeps telling me my SD card is jacked up (even though it isn't), but I'm able to open the GPX file with GCDroid, so I'm going to stick with it. The only problem with GCDroid is that it doesn't show hints. I also think the beta version is supposed to stop working on the 10th of January, and the developer is going to start charging for the program. Anyhow, I'm about to head out the door and see how it works in the field.

Does anyone use CacheMate, and if so, what do you think of it?
King Boreas
Geocacher

PostPosted: Sun Jan 31, 2010 3:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

C:Geo ROCKS!
The Hipster
Geocacher

PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2010 11:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

King Boreas wrote:
I'll second that motion, C:Geo is a truely fine app & free! Droid owners owe it to themselves to check it out. It is the best I've found by far! All the many pages of comments on the app site also agree.
sir_zman
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2010 8:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

King Boreas wrote:

First I have heard of it, I'll have to check it out later today.
sir_zman
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2010 8:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

King Boreas wrote:

Took a quick look at it, and this must violate the terms of service, I can't believe that this will be around for long, and I wonder if groundspeak will do something to inactivate/ban accounts which use this? I've heard of them doing stuff like that in the past for using things which violate their TOS
The Hipster
Geocacher

PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2010 8:59 am    Post subject: Keeps getting better! Reply with quote

c:geo is not only a the top of the heap, it gets better every few days. The devloper released it on January 25 calling it a beta (0.10.0). He still calls it a beta version at the latest release (0.20.1) yesterday.

Groundspeak certainly has some serious competition for their, unreleased 'Groundspeak Geocaching Application' for the android world.

Fun stuff!
http://cgeo.carnero.cc/ Radovan Paška of the Czech Republic, CZ

sir_zman wrote:
King Boreas wrote:

Took a quick look at it, and this must violate the terms of service, I can't believe that this will be around for long, and I wonder if groundspeak will do something to inactivate/ban accounts which use this? I've heard of them doing stuff like that in the past for using things which violate their TOS
I sure hope not! But based on various discussions over on the Groundspeak board, this app very likely violates the user agreement. It will be interesting to see how this all shakes out. The most recent battle ground has been on Windows based devices. If Groundspeak would get a decent Android base app to the market before prime caching season arrives I can live with that. Until then I hope they let c:geo, & the folks using, it slide by for awhile!

Last edited by The Hipster on Thu Feb 18, 2010 9:44 am; edited 2 times in total
Red_Devil35
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2010 9:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

sir_zman wrote:
King Boreas wrote:

Yeah, I've heard that. Three times now, in fact. Wink
Post new topic   Reply to topic    MnGCA Forum Index -> Tech Talk All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: