MnGCA Home MnGCA
Minnesota Geocaching Association

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   User listUser list   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Custom maps Oregon and 6Csx.

View previous topic :: View next topic  
PCC322
Geocacher

PostPosted: Sun Jan 17, 2010 7:45 pm    Post subject: Custom maps Oregon and 6Csx. Reply with quote

I read many references to ways to create custom maps for the GPSr.

I still haven't found step-by-step instructions I can understand for making openstreetmap or JPG/BMP images into maps and loading them into the GPSr. I have an Oregon 400t, and caching buddy EPJoe has the 60Scx.

Anybody have a link to something that is easy for an old man to follow?

PCC322
qwerty2582
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Sun Jan 17, 2010 8:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just stumbled upon this a couple months ago when I got my 300, and this works well for me.

Go to http://garmin.na1400.info/routable.php
Zoom in on the map and select the tiles you want. I think the most I've selected was all the panes for Minnesota at once, not sure what the limit is... Enter your e-mail address on the left, and they'll send you an e-mail (in time) with links to download the map you've requested. One of the links will be for the Garmin version. Simply save it in your Garmin folder on the GPS (either on the device or on the SD card), some people say it needs to be named gmapsupp.img, others say it can be any name... I've had luck leaving it with gmapsupp.img... And voila. The other thing I've needed to do is go into setup on the Oregon, go to Maps, and turn off the default maps, leaving only the OpenStreetMap one enabled - otherwise you won't be able to properly see the other geocaches on the map (only the one you're navigating to).

Also, if you end up needing more maps, you can repeat the process, naming the files gmapsupp2.img, etc. - or try naming it anything and see if it works (haven't tried that yet).

Let me know if you get lost along the way.

qwerty2582
PCC322
Geocacher

PostPosted: Sun Jan 17, 2010 8:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks QWERTY. I'll check it out right away.
PCC322
Geocacher

PostPosted: Sun Jan 17, 2010 9:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Qwerty's tip is a winner. I had the map I wanted up and running on my 400t in about 10 minutes.

Thanks a bunch.

PCC322
TheGilby4
Geocacher

PostPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2010 12:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great info Qwerty, thanks!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    MnGCA Forum Index -> Tech Talk All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: