MnGCA Home MnGCA
Minnesota Geocaching Association

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   User listUser list   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Three Rivers Parks
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
EelSid
Geocacher

PostPosted: Wed Dec 18, 2002 4:15 pm    Post subject: Three Rivers Parks Reply with quote

Does anyone have an update on any new or pending rules for caches in Three Rivers (Hennepin) parks? I saw something a while ago about a two cache per park limit and a distance from trail limit but I haven't heard any update since.
Jillibean
Geocacher

PostPosted: Wed Dec 18, 2002 9:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have not heard anything definite except for State parks and Ramsey County parks. If anyone has any information about other parks, let us know!
Centris
Past MnGCA Chair

PostPosted: Wed Dec 18, 2002 9:42 pm    Post subject: Three Rivers Reply with quote

I am assuming their rules will be very similar to Ramsey County except for the application form. The person who has been working the closest with Three Rivers is Bobhiker. When he gets back in town I am sure he will give you an update as soon as he knows anything. He and I have had extensive conversations and strategy sessions over these policies and how they will affect us all.

One thing they were very concerned with was that we try to keep the caches within 20ft of an established trail because of fragile environments in some parks. I think they probably will adopt the half mile rule also.

I don't think they will just say 2 caches per park or anything like that, they will take it on a park by park consideration just like Ramsey did. If you are looking at a particular park or spot -- go claim it. I know there are still a few Three River parks that are wide open as far as caches go.

The worst that will happen is that it will have to be moved on April 1st, but if you have a nice cache out there, well maintained and safe, chances are it will be approved at the spot you choose.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
bobhiker
Past MnGCA Chair

PostPosted: Fri Dec 20, 2002 11:52 am    Post subject: Three Rivers Park District Reply with quote

Very Happy Yes, Three Rivers Park District is working with us on geocaching! I have met with them Oct. 31. They had some preliminary policy worked out. I have not received a final copy of it as of yet. They introduced it to the Board of Directors on November 21. From what I have heard, it went positively.

The policy they had at our meeting looked alot like Ramsey County's. One thing they have added is a restriction of keeping the cache to within 25 feet of the trail. They have a no off trail hiking policy for their parks. This is to keep everyone on trail and out of the sensitive areas. But if we keep to within 25 feet of the trail, no sensitive areas will be disturbed. They also are coming up with a limit of caches per park. It seems like it will be around two per park. They will produce a list for this soon. All these should go into effect April 1.

I have put a cache in Bryant Lake Regional Park. It is titled, "Hard Rock Cache, #1 in Bryant Lake Regional Park." I have tried to set it up as a model for Three Rivers Parks. By putting the number and the name of the park in the title, it will help them, and geocachers keep track of how many are in the park. I have also put some information on the park, and a link to the parks web site. Please encourage people to stay on the trail till when they are very close to the cache. Also, encourage them to patronize the parks, and help support them by parking within them and buying permits. These parks are real gems, and they use the funds responsibly. They are willing to support this family activity, so lets show them we can do this activity responsibly within their parks.

Thank you for your interest in caching responsibly within Three Rivers Park District. Sincerely, Bobhiker. Boardmember of MnGCA Very Happy
EelSid
Geocacher

PostPosted: Thu Jan 02, 2003 10:16 pm    Post subject: Three Rivers looking for new activities due to lack of snow! Reply with quote

I was just reading an article in the Star Tribune regarding the lack of snow the past few years, and there was a section on Three Rivers Parks where Tim Anderson, the recreation supervisor was quoted as saying "We're looking for alternatives for winter recreation that don't rely so heavily on snow, maybe it's ice boats, ice skating or ice fishing. In the future, maybe that's where we're focusing."

What about geocaching? If a caching activity was regulated and held by the district it could be managed to the park's satisfaction and it would not only draw people to the parks but to geocaching as well!

Maybe we could send Mr. Anderson a letter about geocaching and invite him to the next MNGCA meeting to see if an event can be held. As long as the weather is going to be dry the next few winters the parks are going to be looking for non snow related activities for their members, the link to the article is below:

Is it time to adjust to Minnesota winters without snow?
towlebooth
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Fri Jan 03, 2003 10:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great idea, EelSid! Bobhiker - you want to use this as part of your discussions with the parks?
bobhiker
Past MnGCA Chair

PostPosted: Mon Jan 06, 2003 9:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I will be meeting with Three Rivers Parks on Wednesday January 22. I will try to get a copy of the rules to post then. Thanks for your patience. Laughing
bobhiker
Past MnGCA Chair

PostPosted: Wed Jan 22, 2003 3:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very Happy
Hi everyone. I met with four folks from the Three Rivers Park District today for an hour and a half. They are very positive about this activity and see many educational opportunitys with it as it grows and becomes more popular. They realize that it is growing rapidly, and want to shape policy now so that they can deal with any problems if they arise.
Here are the tentative rules they have developed. They are going to try and finalize them and get them on their web-site within the next month and a half.

Geocaching in the Three Rivers Park District

Rules for Geocaching

Geocaching is allowed in Three Rivers Park District, including Regional Parks and Park Reserves.

A limit of two caches will be allowed for each park. (This will be changed, and a list will be produced with the number for each individual park. Some smaller parks will not have any.)

Caches are not to be buried.

Caches are not to cantain items that are offensive, dangerous, or illegal.

Caches are not allowed in ecologically sensitive areas such as santuaries and environmental preservation areas. Some areas that are accessible in the winter, may not be accessible in the spring or summer. You will be notified if your cache needs to be removed because of a trail closing.

Caches must be within 25 feet from a trail.

Caches are not allowed in reservation picnic areas, play areas, golf courses, beaches, or campgrounds.

Three Rivers Park District retains the right to remove, or have removed; a cache it feels is in an inappropriate location or is causing undo impact on the habitat, or if it is not registered with the Park District.

Caches mest be registered with Three Rivers Park District.

End!

These rules are tentative right now, and subject to minor changes. Please to not attempt to contact the district about them, as they are not published anywhere yet. Please keep this in mind if you have a cache in the Three Rivers Park District, and start thinking now about how this will affect your cache. When it becomes official, cache owners will probably get an email within Geocaching.com, notifying them of the change. A registration form will be available at that time. Please respect these rules when they become official, as we have worked hard on them. By working with the parks and working together, we will be able to continue this family activity within their borders.

[/b]
bobhiker
Past MnGCA Chair

PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2003 9:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I met with Marlene Witucki from the Three Rivers Park District last Monday March 3, 2003. I showed here how to navigate through Geocaching.com to monitor caches in her parks. I will be helping her with this and I look forward to working with her. The final policy should be available on the district's web site very soon and will take effect on April 1, 2003. Thank you for your patience. Rob
bobhiker
Past MnGCA Chair

PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2003 9:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very Happy Three Rivers Park District approves Geocaching in their parks!

This process took about six months with many meetings to develop it into something that will benefit both geocachers and parks. I met several nice folks while working on this and I enjoyed every minute of it. Please help support our efforts in working with our parks and support these rules they have set up. You can view them at.
http://www.threeriversparkdistrict.org/trails/trails_geocaching.cfm Thank you. Sincerely, Bobhiker. Very Happy
Moe the Sleaze
Geocacher

PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2003 9:21 pm    Post subject: Great work, Bobhiker! Reply with quote

Your efforts on behalf of us geocachers are greatly appreciated!

Three caches per park. That's a pleasant surprise!
EelSid
Geocacher

PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2003 10:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great job Bobhiker! Your contributions are much appreciated. I'll go ahead and register my two caches on park land right away!
bobhiker
Past MnGCA Chair

PostPosted: Thu Aug 12, 2004 8:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For the last couple of years I have been acting the part of a liaison between MNGCA and the Three Rivers Park District. We have a very good relationship with them and they favor Geocaching in their parks. I feel it is time to give someone else the opportunity to keep this relationship going and I want to pass the torch.

If you are interested in this position, please speek to Nola at the next meeting or event, and maybe they can vote on a person to take over the position. Please let me know who the new person is and I will be happy to introduce you to the people at TRPD and give you some ideas to keep the relationship going in a positive light. Thanks.
15Tango
MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Fri Aug 13, 2004 3:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been a patron of Three Rivers Parks since I moved to Minnesota 7 years ago--I'd be willing to be the liason, even though I no longer live in Scott or Hennepin County. I'll probably be at the event this weekend in Faribault and the camp-out next month to be officially nominated.
King Boreas
Geocacher

PostPosted: Fri Nov 12, 2004 6:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No communication from the park district?

http://www.threeriversparkdistrict.org/nrm/wildlife_deerhunt.cfm

http://www.threeriversparkdistrict.org/news/news_detail.cfm?&id=1568&action=View&startrow=5

Some parks are closed; some will be closed later.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    MnGCA Forum Index -> Park Relations All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: