MnGCA Home MnGCA
Minnesota Geocaching Association

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   User listUser list   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Wireless & Lakers

View previous topic :: View next topic  
towlebooth
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Tue Jun 08, 2004 3:17 pm    Post subject: Wireless & Lakers Reply with quote

s4xton, not-so-Silent, others -

How does the registration process and Lakers game work on your wireless platforms? Bob mentioned that javascript is unsupported. Other than that are there any errors or issues? How does the look and feel seem in the hiptops?

You haven't brought up any hiptop-specific items so I'm assuming that all is at least luke-warm.
Marsha and Silent Bob
Past MnGCA President

PostPosted: Tue Jun 08, 2004 3:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Wireless & Lakers Reply with quote

towlebooth wrote:
You haven't brought up any hiptop-specific items so I'm assuming that all is at least luke-warm.

I didn't register my account on the hiptop. Everything else seems to be working currently. It seems speedier than logging caches which is nice.

The only complaint that I have is that I have to choose a link to "updatemap" or whatever. That's a bit of a pain. Life goes on.
s4xton
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Tue Jun 08, 2004 3:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The site generally works fine. It's surpringly fast. Only two issues:

* When logging in, it doesn't remember where you were last, and dumps you out at a general post-logging-in page. This isn't just with hiptops though... not a big deal once you're used to it.

* When posting a bug, it dumps you at a page with a bunch of the laker's name and two options for clicking "here" to continue -- there was only one at first, and you added another that appears to be a url that simply updates the map information that rickrich reads. To be honest, sometimes I choose to click on those links, and sometimes I don't have the time.

Otherwise, and I'm being honest - this runs surprisingly fast on the hiptop - faster than most sites, and it's very usable.

-Aaron
towlebooth
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Tue Jun 08, 2004 3:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Wireless & Lakers Reply with quote

Marsha and Silent Bob wrote:

I didn't register my account on the hiptop. Everything else seems to be working currently. It seems speedier than logging caches which is nice.

Tried to streamline the process in terms of having to move from page to page. Edit & Delete are expecially faster since there is no "You have to edit/delete on a seperate page." thingy.

Also, we're dealing with a limited dataset (100 Lakers max) so everything loads quick. (Notice I recently limited the "Recent Activity" page to 50 logs to keep it quick.

The only complaint that I have is that I have to choose a link to "updatemap" or whatever. That's a bit of a pain. Life goes on.

Please elaborate, I don't understand the context (i.e. what page and what link?)
Embarassed
Marsha and Silent Bob
Past MnGCA President

PostPosted: Tue Jun 08, 2004 3:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Wireless & Lakers Reply with quote

towlebooth wrote:
Please elaborate, I don't understand the context (i.e. what page and what link?)

After you drop a laker somewhere (or I would guess pick one up as well) there seems to be a redirect link to a updatemap.php to change the text file database of the lakers and where they are... The hiptop apparently doesn't automatically redirect and we are given a choice of two links. One which is the updatemap link and the other is something I don't remember right now (no service on the hiptop inside my office).
towlebooth
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Tue Jun 08, 2004 3:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Wireless & Lakers Reply with quote

towlebooth wrote:

After you drop a laker somewhere (or I would guess pick one up as well) there seems to be a redirect link to a updatemap.php to change the text file database of the lakers and where they are... The hiptop apparently doesn't automatically redirect and we are given a choice of two links. One which is the updatemap link and the other is something I don't remember right now (no service on the hiptop inside my office).

Ahhhh! I get it now. Yeah, us normals don't see that choice. It is an auto-redirect to a page that updates the map. PLEASE make the right choice.

s4xton's note regarding making the other choice now clears up something else for me. Twice I've seen Lakers that he has moved not update the map. I was pulling my hair out (no wise-cracks!) looking for the bug in the system. P.E.B.H.A.H.
Problem Exists Between Hip and Hiptop.
s4xton
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Tue Jun 08, 2004 3:55 pm    Post subject: Screenshots Reply with quote

Here's how the site looks. Note that anything that's highlighted or has a box around it means that it's an anchor and it's the current one selected.

This is what happens after logging a laker:

Then:

And just because it's funny, this is how the big map looks:

-Aaron
s4xton
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Tue Jun 08, 2004 3:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I almost forgot. I found a new bug in the process:

Deleting a log dumps you out to the main mngca.org page.

-Aaron
Post new topic   Reply to topic    MnGCA Forum Index -> MnGCA Cache Games All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: