MnGCA Home MnGCA
Minnesota Geocaching Association

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   User listUser list   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Direct URL to get GPX files

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Pear Head
Past MnGCA President

PostPosted: Tue Oct 27, 2009 3:06 pm    Post subject: Direct URL to get GPX files Reply with quote

Does anyone know if it's possible to download a GPX (or LOC) file from gc.com directly, or do you have to do it through the cache page?

I want to be able to enter a url in a browser and have it return the gpx file.

Did/does rickrich have such a tool?
timewellspent
Geocacher

PostPosted: Tue Oct 27, 2009 3:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Direct URL to get GPX files Reply with quote

Pear Head wrote:
Does anyone know if it's possible to download a GPX (or LOC) file from gc.com directly, or do you have to do it through the cache page?

If Rick or Paul doesn't have an answer, I may have a work around for you, but not sure it will be what you want.

-DK
Pear Head
Past MnGCA President

PostPosted: Tue Oct 27, 2009 3:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Direct URL to get GPX files Reply with quote

timewellspent wrote:
Pear Head wrote:

If Rick or Paul doesn't have an answer, I may have a work around for you, but not sure it will be what you want.

-DK

I don't want to go into too much detail about why I need it right now (other than to say I believe it still falls in the terms of service with Groundspeak). I need to be able to retrieve a GPX file in an automated (non-Windows/Mac) environment by passing a program (php, perl or such) a waypoint code (or other unique identifier) and being given back a GPX or LOC file.

The process can't require human intervention.

Beyond that I don't care how I get it (I think). Smile
timewellspent
Geocacher

PostPosted: Tue Oct 27, 2009 3:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Let me send you a test pm
jrest
Geocacher

PostPosted: Tue Oct 27, 2009 4:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

HEH - sounds like puzzle development in the works... Shocked
bflentje
Geocacher

PostPosted: Tue Oct 27, 2009 5:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I believe all GPX files are dynamic, calculated in batch, so I doubt, unless you want a one-off cache, that you'll find a way to get a GPX with just a URL.

Now, if you want to violate the terms... that's easy, if you REALLY wanted to.. which I do NOT endorse.
pfalstad
Geocacher

PostPosted: Tue Oct 27, 2009 6:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There's gotta be.. The iphone app is able to download nearby queries and PQ's somehow, probably GPX. You could set up a proxy and point the iphone app at it to see what it's doing.
merkman
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Tue Oct 27, 2009 6:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

pfalstad wrote:
The iphone app is able to download nearby queries and PQ's somehow

So does google earth.

I will check into that
Pear Head
Past MnGCA President

PostPosted: Tue Oct 27, 2009 6:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

pfalstad wrote:
There's gotta be.. The iphone app is able to download nearby queries and PQ's somehow, probably GPX. You could set up a proxy and point the iphone app at it to see what it's doing.

There's also a refresh macro for GSAK that pulls one GPX. I was hoping to get what I needed from there but they use an EXE to do the dirty work.
pfalstad
Geocacher

PostPosted: Tue Oct 27, 2009 8:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

pfalstad wrote:

Well, probably not, it looks like it's connecting to api.groundspeak.com via https to do all the cool stuff, so you can't really look at what it's doing.
pfalstad
Geocacher

PostPosted: Tue Oct 27, 2009 8:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Direct URL to get GPX files Reply with quote

Pear Head wrote:
I need to be able to retrieve a GPX file in an automated (non-Windows/Mac) environment by passing a program (php, perl or such) a waypoint code (or other unique identifier) and being given back a GPX or LOC file.

The process can't require human intervention.

I'm sorry, I didn't read your question very carefully. If all you want is a GPX for one cache, sure it's possible. It looks like rickrich's geo-gpx does this. You can't just type a URL into a browser though, because you have to POST a form, and you have to be logged in, so you need a cookie and some state from the cache page. Apparently geo-gpx handles all this though. You could also try geotoad.
Pear Head
Past MnGCA President

PostPosted: Tue Oct 27, 2009 8:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks. Can someone point me to the rr archive? I used to have it somewhere [shuffling under mountains of paper]...
timewellspent
Geocacher

PostPosted: Tue Oct 27, 2009 8:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pear Head wrote:
Thanks. Can someone point me to the rr archive? I used to have it somewhere [shuffling under mountains of paper]...

http://geo.rkkda.com/ ??
Pear Head
Past MnGCA President

PostPosted: Tue Oct 27, 2009 9:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks. This will work for my needs.

I forget how many amazing tools he has there!
Kurt Franke
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Sat Oct 31, 2009 11:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You guys all amaze me.

KF
Post new topic   Reply to topic    MnGCA Forum Index -> Tech Talk All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: