MnGCA Home MnGCA
Minnesota Geocaching Association

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   User listUser list   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Migizi Trail
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
fargnot
Geocacher

PostPosted: Tue Oct 06, 2009 7:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Unfortunately, here I go again letting my enthusiasm take control of my better judgment and for that I apologize. I got so carried away with the possibilities of what could be, that I even started to entertain the thought of contacting the geocachers on planet Mars to see if they wanted to be part of the Migizi Project in an effort to make it a wonderful experience for all. I have to admit that pride played a large part in this endeavor and to some extent I was trying to build myself up and that is not a good thing, I will pay the price for that mistake.

Last week I even went so far as to invite some North Dakota geocachers to join with us. The Hipster one of the original founders of the project lives in North Dakota and has three caches on the trail already. So I apologize again for leading the geocaching community astray into thinking that this would be an all inclusive club limited to Minnesotans. I once attended a school board meeting where a grandmother stood up and asked ď how do I tell half of my grandchildren they do not qualify for membership in our tribe?Ē This experience brought a great sadness into my heart and I hope that my life is not a reflection of that attitude, it was a defining moment.

Now that the kiss of death has been delivered to the project I will have to reevaluate its merits. I still think it is a good idea to provide a place with high quality caches that binds geocachers together. Time will tell!
spinowner
Geocacher

PostPosted: Tue Oct 06, 2009 7:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The idea of "Minnesota's Geocaching Trail of Fame" doesn't have to mean that the hiders must all be from Minnesota. I interpreted that to mean that it was simply in Minnesota.
Pear Head
Past MnGCA President

PostPosted: Tue Oct 06, 2009 2:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think that it really matters if they're from Minnesota or from all over. It may be nice to start with Minnesotans and work out from there but it doesn't really make any difference. It's the end result that counts!
Manfromwillow
Geocacher

PostPosted: Tue Oct 06, 2009 7:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hello this is my first post on the MNCGA website, first off thank you for letting me become a member. secondly i am a fairly new cacher (only been participating in geocaching since april of this year) but i am proud that people want to have my caches in their area, thank you for letting me be a part of the Migizi Trail Project
iScar
Geocacher

PostPosted: Tue Oct 06, 2009 10:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cass Lake is one of the few areas close to us that we have yet to cache so I am anxious to go check out all the signature caches and place one of my own. Hopefully we can find the time in the next few weeks to get it done. Very Happy
fargnot
Geocacher

PostPosted: Fri Oct 09, 2009 5:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We are in the process of designing a header for the cache pages to identify the geocaches placed upon the trail. The thought was, it would be nice for the caches involved with the Migizi Trails Project to have some sort of connecting logo that would bind them together. We are posting the first idea we came up with, looking for constructive criticsm and feed back. If you have any thoughts we would appreciate them. Thanks

Manfromwillow
Geocacher

PostPosted: Tue Oct 13, 2009 12:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have noticed quite a few new caches out on the trail, can't wait to hit them up
TopHat & EarlGrey
Geocacher

PostPosted: Wed Oct 14, 2009 3:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think this is a great idea! It gives us who donít get to travel much to see different styles of caches that people put out in their area. Not that we donít have some great caches around here that are totally unique and fun to cache (an example being Uffda320ís Lifeís a Beach GC1505Z). This has also encouraged some of us who have yet to place a cache to get our act together and get cache out there.

My concern is the Migizi is only so big and with us needing to stay with in the rules of keeping a distance between caches, plus the with the pipeline going thru along the north side that limits the area even more. So my point is can we limit our personal caches to one or two? If we are placing a cache for someone outside the area that is something different, but if we work hard at making these caches something special and unique that will draw cachers from all over to come and see wouldnít that be awesome!

Letís make the Migizi trail something so unique with all sorts of great caches that we will want to come back ourselves. Then when we get some creative idea for something totally different we can archive our current cache and replace it a new one that will blow peoples minds with how different it is. These are my thoughts, what do you all think of self imposed personal limits to caches on the trail?
The Hipster
Geocacher

PostPosted: Wed Oct 14, 2009 4:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good thoughts! I will be adding at least one more by spring 2010 however. It will be a Wherigo type. This new cache will not impinge on any already out there, nor will it take up space likely to be used by other's new caches.

Considering there were only a few out there until recently, I intend to keep my six. Each is of a different size & type of hide. I will be upgrading the cache pages & hides as appropriate. When I make a major change to one after enough months have gone by, I will archive the old & publish a new cache.

The MiGiZi may only be 18 miles long, however the Heartland & Paul Bunyan Trails add another couple of hundred miles should we ever actually fill up the MiGiZi. I think that if someone has more than one or two great hides to put out, then they should go for it.

I am fairly sure that over time anyone with a cache that does not live up to the goal will be glad to either replace said cache with something better or archive it so that someone else will have the room to place a worthy cache nearby. This will give the whole area a dynamic that will keep folks coming back for more!

Last edited by The Hipster on Thu Dec 17, 2009 8:43 am; edited 1 time in total
RudeRat
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Mon Dec 14, 2009 6:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I drove over and checked out the trail this fall. I didnít see how it could support a ďRudeRat CacheĒ. I could have placed a cache in the woods, but not one that defines my style which is my understanding of the trails intent. I thought about a Wherigo, but itís been announced that one is coming, and Iíd rather do one in Minnesota than place another. I have to admit that I liked the idea of the trail being a Minnesota thing, so when out of state caches started to be placed, the trail lost some appeal to me. Ole explained those caches to me and I understand, but whatís to stop everyone from sending up a cammo taped peanut butter jar to be placed in their name, or is that the intent? Seeing single cachers placing multiple caches along the trail makes it look more like a numbers thing rather than a signature thing to me. I loved the concept of the trail when it was first announced, but with 16 caches placed by just a hand full of cachers, itís starting to look like just another power trail. When I first heard of the trail, I envisioned a KB cookie tin, a pfalstad puzzle, a Toivo tag, with a loner multi tossed in along the way. For some reason, I envisioned an EskoClimber tag in every cache along the trail as well. Iíd love to be a part of something unique to Minnesota like that, but if itís just another power trail, I may come find them, but I think Iíll pass on a hide. Am I not seeing it right?
The Hipster
Geocacher

PostPosted: Tue Dec 15, 2009 9:48 am    Post subject: A concept refined! Reply with quote

RudeRat wrote:
I drove over and checked out the trail this fall. I didnít see how it could support a ďRudeRat CacheĒ. I could have placed a cache in the woods, but not one that defines my style which is my understanding of the trails intent. I thought about a Wherigo, but itís been announced that one is coming, and Iíd rather do one in Minnesota than place another. I have to admit that I liked the idea of the trail being a Minnesota thing, so when out of state caches started to be placed, the trail lost some appeal to me. Ole explained those caches to me and I understand, but whatís to stop everyone from sending up a cammo taped peanut butter jar to be placed in their name, or is that the intent? Seeing single cachers placing multiple caches along the trail makes it look more like a numbers thing rather than a signature thing to me. I loved the concept of the trail when it was first announced, but with 16 caches placed by just a hand full of cachers, itís starting to look like just another power trail. When I first heard of the trail, I envisioned a KB cookie tin, a pfalstad puzzle, a Toivo tag, with a loner multi tossed in along the way. For some reason, I envisioned an EskoClimber tag in every cache along the trail as well. Iíd love to be a part of something unique to Minnesota like that, but if itís just another power trail, I may come find them, but I think Iíll pass on a hide. Am I not seeing it right?

RudeRat: Thank you for your candid thoughts. You have addressed some very valid issues. We grow & learn. (I apologize to all for my somewhat arrogant earlier post.) I hope you can see your way clear to place a cache on the MiGiZi. Your vision indeed coincides very closely with what Fargnot, Uffda320 & I had hoped would happen.

Background: I originally placed most of my hides before the MiGiZi Trail concept had really been hatched. I placed a few more to get the ball rolling & provide a sort of caching education condensed into a few caches. My cabin is but a few miles away & this area was just calling for more caches. A couple of other multiple cache owners also live nearby & in the beginning placed caches for the rest of us to find.

I will gladly archive most of my hides in favor of MN cachers with a signature cache to place. (An email indicating which of my current spots they desire is all it would take.) I believe that may very well be the case with the other MiGiZi Trail multiple cache owners. After all we desire to be part of something larger than ourselves & have exciting new caches to find as well.

RudeRat, I heartily encourage you to go ahead with a MiGiZi Whereigo cache. I entirely defer to your expertise. (In fact I would love like to go to school under your tutelage in some small way. If there is anything I can tell you about the physical area let me know; Iíve been vacationing & weekending there for 25+ years.) You currently have the only Whereigo in MN & it has proved very popular with all that have participated in the experience. (I hope to have the opportunity to do 'Elmer Bunyan' this spring.)

Now that the MiGiZi Trail has traction, the New Year would be a great time to raise the bar. I can see a time where many of the caches are archived & refreshed every year or two; some with the same owner but an exciting new cache & some with new owners showcasing their unique signature ideas. And no ... we are not looking to create just another power trail.

Thanks to all who are participating in the MiGiZi Trail Project & Happy Holidays!
uffda320
Geocacher

PostPosted: Wed Dec 16, 2009 11:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know there are a few more of us that plan on hiding unique caches along the trail.

I think the trail will be more than just a power trail. To me, a power trail is a lot of the same type of caches by the same person. So far, I do not see that on the Migizi. Yes, there are several by each person, but each is different.

Give us time, the trail is still in its early stages. We promise it'll be a worthwhile experience.
themuts
Geocacher

PostPosted: Thu Apr 15, 2010 11:54 pm    Post subject: Better late than never Reply with quote

I realize that I should have chimed in some time ago, but have not had the time to be online. Many of the "boring" caches that are along the MiGiZi are mine (I have four). They were there before this great idea was hatched. Yes, I have a camoed peanut butter jar and even an ammo can. I placed these caches as my young children and I spend a lot of time here. We bike on the MiGiZi, camp at the South Pike Bay campground and fish on Pike Bay. This is my home. My children enjoy checking our caches to see what is inside. No my caches are not crazy, exciting, intriguing, etc, but their point was to bring people to this beautiful area so we could share it with them. We got our point across many times. Smile If you'd prefer that I remove my caches that you feel are "about the numbers" or because you'd like my location, I'd be happy to do so; all you have to do is ask.

I like the idea of the trail of fame, and I'm sorry for those of you that have been turned off to the idea of sharing your caches because everyone was invited. Caching is for everyone to enjoy and share. I am trying to teach my children to love and appreciate the outdoors. There are many cachers (me included) that are limited to caching near home. Some day I hope to cache in Duluth/Cities to see some of these amazing caches that I hear about. I looked forward to seeing some of them sooner than later, but it seems as if I may still have to wait to see many of them. If you need an incentive, Hwy 2 runs to the north of Pike Bay and during the summer months cachers from all over the US and Canada travel through here going from point A to point B grabbing a cache or two along the way. What better place than to showcase your greatest cache?

Also, for the people that are/were worried about running out of room, don't worry--there's PLENTY of room for everyone. There are MILES of paved trail along with MANY more miles of forestry road. To the north there's Norway Beach and the endless locations along the Scenic Hwy. To the south there's Walker and the Heartland trail. We've got room.

The pipeline is for the most part finished except the clean up, but I have no idea when that will be completed as they have cleared out (I heard that bids recently went out for someone else to do the finishing work). The pipe liners did leave something behind though...garbage. My children and I have picked up ten garbage bags full of trash so far this spring...and we probably could have filled up ten times as much if time had permitted.

With this absolutely BEAUTIFUL spring we have been having, I invite you all to come up to Cass Lake/Pike Bay and see our beautiful area--find a few caches while you're here. (If you're here, you might as well head over and check out Bemidji too!) If you feel compelled to do so, place a cache, if not, that's okay too. You're all welcome here.
fargnot
Geocacher

PostPosted: Fri Apr 16, 2010 10:25 am    Post subject: Signature Cache Reply with quote

I for one am glad that Themuts have chimed in because it made me realize the importance of voice and the need for enlightenment on the Migizi Trail Project. After rereading the posts I have determined that some confusion still exists in four areas: Out of state caches, cachers placing more than one cache, boring caches and Lack of room. I agree with themuts thoughts; they were the original homesteaders of the area and have the cleanest perspective on the Signature Project. Their commentary was like a breath of fresh air and renewed my faltering hope in the value of the project. I still feel the project has merit and it is my plea that we put our differences aside and work for the betterment of geocaching everywhere.

The project originally began as a Minnesota thing were we wanted to highlight Minnesota cachers and the caches they were known for, then we realized that one of the founding fathers (Hipster) lived in North Dakota. This dilemma was resolved when we quickly adjusted from ďa taste of MinnesotaĒ to ďa taste of geocachingĒ. The new direction was to include caches from all over the world and after considerable thought we stand behind this decision. Currently we have three cachers from out state with Signature Caches on the trail. One concern would be that they would just send up peanut butter jars wrapped in camo tape and tossed out in the woods, read the logs on their caches if that is a concern (Hipster, Netinator, Chimps8mybaby) and you will quickly realize they are among some of the best caches on the trail, better yet come up and have a ďtaste of geocachingĒ.

Another concern is that we should place a limit on how many caches one geocacher can place on the trail. I for one would not want to take on the role of geopolice and be the one to enforce my will on the world. Instead we have opted to let geocachers police themselves which is working out quite well. It may take more than one cache to express the signature of a geocacher. I know of a couple of geocachers in the state whose signature would be defined in more than one way as they are so prolific in the number of different hides they are responsible for. So we feel comfortable letting Surfer Joe do what he does best and he is the best in the world. So we invite all to come and be part of the Signature Cache and let your conscience be your guide.

In my mind there is no such thing as a boring cache. I find something of interest in every cache I hunt. Themuts caches have been some of my most memorable, they are just being modest. We tend to be hardest on ourselves, just remember one manís junk is another manís treasure. So come up to the Migizi and sort through our junk and have the time of your life!

Finally I want to address the lack of room issue. If your perspective is a finite one then I would have to agree with you, but if it is an infinite one then the skies the limit and I would have to jump on your bus. Themuts sum it up best with this statement: Also, for the people that are/were worried about running out of room, don't worry--there's PLENTY of room for everyone. There are MILES of paved trail along with MANY more miles of forestry road. To the north there's Norway Beach and the endless locations along the Scenic Hwy. To the south there's Walker and the Heartland trail. We've got room. Give me a call and I will personally give you a guided tour coupled with a free lunch.
themuts
Geocacher

PostPosted: Fri Apr 16, 2010 8:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fargnot, Mr. Mut said he doesn't need the free tour, but he'd sure take you up on the free lunch. Wink
Post new topic   Reply to topic    MnGCA Forum Index -> Northern MN All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: