MnGCA Home MnGCA
Minnesota Geocaching Association

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   User listUser list   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

custom raster maps for you Colorado/Oregon/Dakota

View previous topic :: View next topic  
jerpete
Geocacher

PostPosted: Sun Oct 11, 2009 6:33 pm    Post subject: custom raster maps for you Colorado/Oregon/Dakota Reply with quote

For those that haven't seen it yet in the geocaching.com tech forum

http://garmin.blogs.com/softwareupdates/2009/10/index.html

Garmin just released a new Beta software version that allows you to create a custom map from an image file, georeference it in google earth and then dump it to you gps.

Here is one I did using a USFS trail map

took about 20 minutes the first time through, about 10 minutes for the second one I did. There are some limitations, it seems you can only have all of the custom maps on or off, no individual selectivity.

Kind of a cool ability, you can use aerial pictures too.
MNMizzou
Geocacher

PostPosted: Tue Oct 13, 2009 11:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK so I have to admit my head cold is probably not helping me right now, but let me post this theoretical question about this technology...

Am I reading this correctly that if I had a trail map of a Three Rivers Park for example that I scan in and do the overlay thingy, I could in theory have a map on my Oregon showing me where all the trails are (according to their mapping abilities?)
speedysk1
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Tue Oct 13, 2009 11:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MNMizzou wrote:
OK so I have to admit my head cold is probably not helping me right now, but let me post this theoretical question about this technology...

Am I reading this correctly that if I had a trail map of a Three Rivers Park for example that I scan in and do the overlay thingy, I could in theory have a map on my Oregon showing me where all the trails are (according to their mapping abilities?)

I don't have an Oregon to test it, but that's my understanding as well. You would scan in the map as a jpg and overlay it in google. You stretch and move it until it matches and then you get a map layer for that. Could be interesting, but when you can get trail maps now as a layer from various sites and have more parks, why spend the time? I can see a limited usage of this, but I think there are better ways.
jerpete
Geocacher

PostPosted: Sat Oct 17, 2009 7:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

that is exactly what you can do with it. The picture I attached is the trail map for the Suomi Hills Rec. Area near Grand Rapids.

you can also use it to put aerial photos of an area on your GPS too, or plat maps showing land ownership boundaries etc...

people are sharing maps here. https://forums.garmin.com/forumdisplay.php?f=206
Post new topic   Reply to topic    MnGCA Forum Index -> Tech Talk All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: