MnGCA Home MnGCA
Minnesota Geocaching Association

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   User listUser list   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Migizi Trail
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
uffda320
Geocacher

PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2009 9:20 pm    Post subject: Migizi Trail Reply with quote

Uffda320, Hipster, and I have had a wonderful summer geocaching around northern Minnesota. No matter what area we found ourselves in, there were lots of exciting geocaches to uncover. After awhile we started thinking that certain techniques, containers, or camouflage tend to define a particular geocacher as we cached around the state. After talking it over we came up with what we thought could be a brilliant idea!

We are proposing to put together a power trail of caches in northern Minnesota that would highlight some of our best cachers and showcase their extreme talents. The idea would be to have an area where someone could go to sample the best of what geocaching has to offer in the state. Cachers from around the state would place their signature cache on the designated route which would provide people with a taste of what that cacher has to offer in his/her area.

All are welcome to participate with any type of cache whether it be a traditional, multi, puzzle, or what have you. If you live outside of the boundary established by our good friends at geocaching.com, use one of our names indicating that we are sponsoring your cache and will care for it (assuming we are able to find it). The area we have settled on to establish this unique geocaching trail is called the Migizi Bike Trail just outside of Cass Lake, Minnesota. A few of the local cachers have already placed some caches on the trail to get the project off the ground and we thank them for their efforts:

GC1D0N9 Themuts started it off with their trailhead hide and a few more.
GCXZBB Bigdave2 placed one where the trail turns into the woods.
GC1EE17 Nsa sailor has one on the trail too.
GC1YA9N The Hipster has several in the area.
GC1FM5N Stang9901 also has a couple.

As you can see the project is in its infant stage with plenty of room for some exciting caches. Our dream would be that all of our friends from all over the state would share some of their talents with us in a very beautiful area. We are inviting you to become part of the Migizi Trail Project by placing one or many caches along this premium bike trail that stretches from Highway 2 to 371. We are encouraging every one, from those with many caches to those who are just starting out, to become a part of history. If you have any questions please feel free to contact any of us on geocaching.com or here.

Happy caching

Uffda320, Hipster, Fargnot

The Hipster
Geocacher

PostPosted: Wed Sep 23, 2009 8:35 am    Post subject: MiGiZi Trail Reply with quote

Come one, come all - enjoy the trail, find some caches & leave behind one or two that demonstrate your best &/or most devious work! This will be fun. The end of September & first part of October are an especially fine time to be in this part of the country as the leaves turn northern Minnesota into a Kaleidoscope of riotous color.

The existing caches are a start. I plan to upgrade my own caches and place some new. We would love to see a variety. (Easy & hard, devious & whimsical, P-n-Gs & boonies bushwhack, big & small, straight forward & convoluted, diabolical & sublime)

Show us what you've got; what makes your hides unique, what defines your area's caches. We are looking to create a true microcosm of the Minnesota caching experience in one delightful area.
Red_Devil35
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Wed Sep 23, 2009 8:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds like a good excuse for an event to me.
fargnot
Geocacher

PostPosted: Thu Sep 24, 2009 12:43 pm    Post subject: Migizi Trail Reply with quote

I am still fairly new to this geocaching game, but in my limited travels, MNGCA geocachers place some of the best geocaches in the world. If you have ever come across an Uffda320 multi, a Roylake hide, or a King Boreas trail of caches you know what I mean and the list of quality caches by others in the state goes on and on. With that in mind we thought it would be nice to showcase some of what the state has to offer in one central place so others can find some of the enjoyment they have given me.

In order to accomplish this we have played around with a few options:

Option1: The first option would be to jump in the cachemobile and head for Cass lake with your favorite cache safely stowed away. Stake out an area on the Migizi Trail which will be guaranteed to take your breathe away. If you are out of range then use one of the many volunteers to take care of the cache (Uffda320, Hipster, Themuts, or Fargnot) and have it published and become part of the Taste of Minnesota geocaching style.

Option2: The second option would be to put one of your signature caches together, box it up and send it to one of us. We will find a really special place to hide it and then send you the coordinates so you can put your personal touches on the web page and still own the rights to the cache.

Option3: The next option would be to get your cache together and send it to one of us and we will do the rest of the work, including getting it published. The nice thing about this option is that you will be able to come up here, enjoy the power trail, and get a smiley for finding your own cache. We would put your name on the cache but the credit would go to one of us.

This project is still a work in progress and is being designed to provide geocachers with an opportunity to experience some of the best Minnesota has to offer in a central location with hopes that they will have such a great time they will seek out your caches in your region. We would be thrilled to have any input that would help us get started on the right foot.
speedysk1
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Thu Sep 24, 2009 2:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Migizi Trail Reply with quote

fargnot wrote:
I am still fairly new to this geocaching game

Laughing Laughing Laughing
RudeRat
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Thu Sep 24, 2009 10:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Twisted Evil Sounds interesting. Twisted Evil
fargnot
Geocacher

PostPosted: Sun Oct 04, 2009 7:06 pm    Post subject: Caches are coming in! Reply with quote

While over at Onionpond's event in Detroit Lakes this weekend with the Hipster we ran into one of the areas finest geocachers, ManfromWillow. He had us come out to his car and gave us four of the finest geocaches one could imagine which we will place on the trail this week. Talk about a signature cache, these are extrodinary and will provide hours of enjoyment for the caching community. If you are lucky enough to find one of these they will leave you begging for more. In fact, I will predict you will make your next geocaching stop in Detroit Lakes to try out his Black Pearl. Twisted Evil

Another update: I have sent letters of invitation to Surfer Joe and King Boreas, two of Minnesota's most known geocachers. If anyone has any pull with these remarkable geocachers please put in a good word for the project and help us get them on board. I for one appreciate all they do to promote the sport of geocaching in the state. Thank you Surfer joe, the fastest publisher in the world and King Boreas, the most prolific hider in all the world.

Themuts have joined the project along with the Hipster, Uffda320, and myself as sponsors and we extend a heartfelt invitation to Minnesota's caching community to come join us at the buffet and get your signature cache on the trail! Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
King Boreas
Geocacher

PostPosted: Mon Oct 05, 2009 9:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just my 2 cents ...

1. You need a new description, anything other than power trail.

2. How many miles are available, and what distance between caches?

3. Surfer Joe needs to pre-approve the "concept"
Surfer Joe
Minnesota Reviewer

PostPosted: Mon Oct 05, 2009 11:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As I told Fargnot via email, I have only two concerns...

1) Every cache needs a maintenance plan. If the owner lives far away, they need someone local to help maintain it.

2) Although the term "power trail" is no longer in the latest revision of the guidelines, saturation is still a concern. Hide the caches in deserving locations, not just 600 feet down the trail from the last one. leave some spots for other cachers to hide a few in the future.

I like KB's suggestion of calling it something other than a power trail. How about something like "The Minnesota Geocaching Trail of Fame"?
spinowner
Geocacher

PostPosted: Mon Oct 05, 2009 12:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Surfer Joe wrote:
Hide the caches in deserving locations, not just 600 feet down the trail from the last one.

I've never been to the place proposed for this trail, but I'd bet almost anything that there's a spot every 600 feet that is more deserving of a cache than the location of half of the caches hidden in Hennepin County. If a storm sewer five feet from the right-of-way of a metro freeway is deserving I'd say bend the rules and put one every 400 feet on this trail.
King Boreas
Geocacher

PostPosted: Mon Oct 05, 2009 2:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK, I'm in.

I'd like to have one across from Cass Lake Wayside Rest on Highway 2, possibly a Hot Wax cache.

I don't know that I'd drive up there to deliver it, but I like Red's idea of an Event. If I can get a group together I'd even host it, if someone knows a good location.
pfalstad
Geocacher

PostPosted: Mon Oct 05, 2009 9:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

spinowner wrote:
If a storm sewer five feet from the right-of-way of a metro freeway is deserving I'd say bend the rules and put one every 400 feet on this trail.

Don't be trashing that cache, it's got a very good reason for being there. At least it's not on private property... Wink
fargnot
Geocacher

PostPosted: Mon Oct 05, 2009 9:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I appreciate the input from everyone. I really like Surfer Joe's suggestion to call it "Minnesota's Geocaching Trail Of Fame". I will create a logo for each participating cacher to place on their cache page to provide an identifying theme for the project. This could be used as the header and placed in the short description. Then we could get away from the power trail idea and use terms that really identify what we are trying to accomplish.

We would be honored to have the King host an event up in our area and will work on securing a place. Right now Themuts have a cache in the location he desires so will contact them to see if they will give up the spot for the good of the cause. The pipeline seems to be finished in the area and the cache has been disabled so the possibility is good. If the King would make arrangements to get me his signature cache I would find a very special place for it, after all he is the one who got me hooked on the sport with his Delorme Challenge. Now if we could just work on Eskoclimber things would really come together, looks like I might have to get a shovel and throw up a cliff.

Surfer Joe just published a cache from Chimp8mybaby for the project. He is a well known cacher from Mississippi and has several unique hides in that state. I have also cached with him and he is an impressive geocacher with the ability to construct great caches. He chose option 3 because of the distance and will put it on his watchlist. A cacher from Tennessee will also be putting her signature cache on the trail so at this point we will have three states represented. How about having some from other parts of the world?

ManfromWillow just placed 4 caches on the trail and is in the process of finishing his cache pages. He just started geocaching a few months back and recently joined MNGCA to follow this thread, thank you Uffda320. This could be used as a great tool to increase our membership?

Again I want to express my appreciation for the work Surfer Joe does, he sees the big picture and his wisdom is greatly valued. We do not want to set up a bunch of caches every 600 feet that do not challenge the geocacher, we are more interested in quality than quantity. With that said we still want every cacher in the state represented with their signature cache and will be making personal contacts during the upcoming year. I would hope that MNGCA could weigh in on this concept and encourage the winners of the monthly cache contest to consider placing a replica on the trail if possible?

Thanks to all who are providing input and it's nice to have King Boreas on board.
King Boreas
Geocacher

PostPosted: Tue Oct 06, 2009 3:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually, I've changed my mind.

1. I thought it was a Minnesota thing.
2. It looks like there are plenty of caches already.

Sorry ...
spinowner
Geocacher

PostPosted: Tue Oct 06, 2009 5:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

pfalstad wrote:
spinowner wrote:
If a storm sewer five feet from the right-of-way of a metro freeway is deserving I'd say bend the rules and put one every 400 feet on this trail.

Don't be trashing that cache, it's got a very good reason for being there. At least it's not on private property... Wink

I don't think I wrote anything disparaging about that cache. I posted a find on it so I obviously felt it was worth my effort to look for it. I'm just using that storm sewer as a benchmark in an attempt to establish the standard for deserving locations.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    MnGCA Forum Index -> Northern MN All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: