MnGCA Home MnGCA
Minnesota Geocaching Association

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   User listUser list   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Oregon PQ's

View previous topic :: View next topic  
MNMizzou
Geocacher

PostPosted: Wed Sep 23, 2009 9:52 am    Post subject: Oregon PQ's Reply with quote

Here's a question for the Oregon owners out there... what do you find to be the most effective way to get PQ's for the metro area with the 2k cache limit? On my old 60 I used to just get PQ's for the whole state and convert them to POI's where there was no limit to the amount you could put on. I find myself now just kind of grabbing a PQ based on what event we're going to, which is fine, but since I get all over the metro I'm thinking I might try to load more to try to cover more of the metro since I never really know where I'll be in the metro on any given day. Any good zip codes or cities that folks have used as base points to cover as much of the metro as possible?

Thanks!
Jam3s
Geocacher

PostPosted: Wed Sep 23, 2009 10:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I grab my PQs based on the geocache that I am going to. Remember that instead of a zip code, you are able to enter in a waypoint code.
jrest
Geocacher

PostPosted: Wed Sep 23, 2009 3:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do you run gsak? Do you plop your PQ's into that application? You can create custom filters from there and then dump that into your gps.

I use http://gsak.net/google/polygoneditor.html this for creating wierd shapes. Zoom in on the map to where you think you will be going, then start the polygon, and click around on the map. You will need to start and end at the same place, then copy the coordinates (right side of map) and drop that into the filter part of gsak, and run it. Then export to gps and you are good to go...

Have fun
Post new topic   Reply to topic    MnGCA Forum Index -> Tech Talk All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: