MnGCA Home MnGCA
Minnesota Geocaching Association

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   User listUser list   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Cache in Hinkley Needing Adoption
Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
sapalas
Geocacher

PostPosted: Sun Aug 30, 2009 8:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alright, I am back from vacation, and ready to get this one squared away. I stopped and checked out this cache on my way through town Sat. It all looks good to me.

Would it be better for me just to get this published on my own?

I would like to see this one go active instead of just sit there.

Thanks,

Shaun
King Boreas
Geocacher

PostPosted: Sun Aug 30, 2009 11:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rolling Eyes

Last edited by King Boreas on Mon Aug 31, 2009 8:17 pm; edited 1 time in total
naha
Geocacher

PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2009 1:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ArcherDragoon wrote:
naha wrote:

Is this a policy that is written down somewhere? I for one would love to see a list of policies if it includes situations as extremely rare as this one.

I doubt this situation is really as "rare" as you think...lots of folks want to hide vacation caches...and the guidelines about vacation caches is well known and brought up fairly often in the Groundspeak Forums...

...usually by relatively new cachers...

I'm not saying that "vacation caches" are rare, I'm saying that someone like me reaching out to the local geocacher's association forums and asking someone to adopt a vacation cache is probably pretty rare. People are generally pretty lazy and these caches probably end up as geo-trash far more often than not.

[quote=sapalas]Would it be better for me just to get this published on my own? [/quote]

Apparently it's against an unwritten geocaching.com rule to allow you to adopt it since it was archived so we're all probably best off if you resubmit it. Looks like we'll have an easy find next time we're in the area Smile BTW if you didn't you may want to adjust the log a bit since it has my email address on it as a contact.

naha
pfalstad
Geocacher

PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2009 1:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

naha wrote:
Apparently it's against an unwritten geocaching.com rule to allow you to adopt it since it was archived so we're all probably best off if you resubmit it. Looks like we'll have an easy find next time we're in the area Smile BTW if you didn't you may want to adjust the log a bit since it has my email address on it as a contact.

Was it archived? I thought it was just not published. Did you try the adoption web page:

http://www.geocaching.com/adopt/
naha
Geocacher

PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2009 1:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

geocaching.com/adopt wrote:
You are unable to use the adopt feature for this listing. It has been archived.
King Boreas
Geocacher

PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2009 4:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rolling Eyes

Last edited by King Boreas on Mon Aug 31, 2009 8:18 pm; edited 1 time in total
sapalas
Geocacher

PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2009 7:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Published @ 6:20 pm
http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.aspx?guid=58a3ccd4-9a29-4998-b601-6f86a6b72c0b
spinowner
Geocacher

PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2009 5:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think the moral of the story is to find a local cacher to agree to maintain the cache BEFORE THE CACHE IS PLACED.
Draconisdax
Geocacher

PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2009 7:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

naha wrote:
ArcherDragoon wrote:
naha wrote:

Is this a policy that is written down somewhere? I for one would love to see a list of policies if it includes situations as extremely rare as this one.

I doubt this situation is really as "rare" as you think...lots of folks want to hide vacation caches...and the guidelines about vacation caches is well known and brought up fairly often in the Groundspeak Forums...

...usually by relatively new cachers...

I'm not saying that "vacation caches" are rare, I'm saying that someone like me reaching out to the local geocacher's association forums and asking someone to adopt a vacation cache is probably pretty rare. People are generally pretty lazy and these caches probably end up as geo-trash far more often than not.

sapalas wrote:
Would it be better for me just to get this published on my own?

naha

Nope, again asking on forums to adopt and/or watch over a cache happens...both local and national forums...

...as spinowner said though, it is best to actually do that before a cache is placed...and most usually do...
sapalas
Geocacher

PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2009 10:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can't believe this. It was there on Sat. morning, got published yesterday, and now it could be gone already!

September 1 by DLHCacher (3786 found)
If this one was hanging in one of the three pine trees near GZ, this cache is probably gone. The lower branches have been trimmed off on all three. I did a thorough search of the nearby bushes and came up empty.

Unreal. Confused
sapalas
Geocacher

PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2009 10:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I will try to get someone to check on this for me right away, since I was just up there.
Moe the Sleaze
Geocacher

PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2009 12:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
We placed a cache in the Tobie's area of Hinkley when we came through last week but geocaching.com disagrees with us that it doesn't matter that we live 1000 miles away as the container is going to require zero maintenance for years.

Quote:
If this one was hanging in one of the three pine trees near GZ, this cache is probably gone. The lower branches have been trimmed off on all three. I did a thorough search of the nearby bushes and came up empty.

Rolling Eyes
Pear Head
Past MnGCA President

PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2009 3:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Cache in Hinkley Needing Adoption Reply with quote

Pear Head wrote:
In this case you're talking about a micro hidden at the edge of a very busy parking lot - someone over the years is likely to watch a cacher find the cache and check it out themselves. Next thing you know, the cache is gone and the owner is unable to check up on it.

Rolling Eyes
Post new topic   Reply to topic    MnGCA Forum Index -> Central MN All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: