MnGCA Home MnGCA
Minnesota Geocaching Association

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   User listUser list   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

cacherstats
Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
speedysk1
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Mon Aug 17, 2009 9:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

spinowner wrote:
No warning at work on a PC via Internet Explorer. Warning at home on a Mac via Firefox. Any explanation from someone who understands why?

Internet exploder doesn't use that security feature. The warning everyone is seeing is from firefox itself and not from the website directly. Firefox checks a google server to determine if the site is "black listed", then displays the warning message accordingly.

Yet another reason firefox and chrome are better than exploder. Wink

I hope that helps.
Jonas
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Mon Aug 17, 2009 9:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

spinowner wrote:
No warning at work on a PC via Internet Explorer. Warning at home on a Mac via Firefox. Any explanation from someone who understands why?

I tried it with 3 different browsers (IE, Firefox and Chrome) and no malware/virus attempted to download to my PC this time so it looks like it might be gone.

The warning message you get is most likely the warning google is showing as they spotted the infection on that site a few days ago. I'm guessing you might have some google toolbar installed in your Firefox browser at home but not at work.

-Jonas
speedysk1
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Mon Aug 17, 2009 10:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jonas wrote:
I'm guessing you might have some google toolbar installed in your Firefox browser at home but not at work.

Firefox built that into, I think it was the latest version, of the browser. No google toolbar needed.
Jonas
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Mon Aug 17, 2009 10:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

speedysk1 wrote:
Firefox built that into, I think it was the latest version, of the browser. No google toolbar needed.

Odd, it doesn't show any warning in my browser (Firefox 3.5.2) despite having the security option checked.

-Jonas
minnesotabrad
Past MnGCA President

PostPosted: Mon Aug 17, 2009 10:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jonas wrote:
speedysk1 wrote:

Odd, it doesn't show any warning in my browser (Firefox 3.5.2) despite having the security option checked.

-Jonas

I still get the warning in Firefox 3.5.2.
speedysk1
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Mon Aug 17, 2009 10:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jonas wrote:
speedysk1 wrote:

-Jonas

check the "Block reported attack sites" flag setting. Upon looking further it appears this was added as part of the 3.0 release last year. Odd that you are not seeing the warning. I just tried and was getting the warning.

Open Tools > Options > Security
check the option "Block reported attack sites"
Jonas
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Mon Aug 17, 2009 10:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

speedysk1 wrote:
Jonas wrote:

-Jonas

check the "Block reported attack sites" flag setting. Upon looking further it appears this was added as part of the 3.0 release last year. Odd that you are not seeing the warning. I just tried and was getting the warning.

Open Tools > Options > Security
check the option "Block reported attack sites"

That is the security option I was referring to. Even unchecking it/rechecking it and clearing cache still does not produce any warning. I must have the insecure version of Firefox. Smile
Sharknose Bunnies
Geocacher

PostPosted: Mon Aug 17, 2009 11:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was pretty excited to check cacherstats now that I've crossed the 200 find mark, which would have qualified me for the rankings. I was set to BE SOMEBODY.
The Hipster
Geocacher

PostPosted: Wed Aug 19, 2009 9:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sharknose Bunnies wrote:
I was pretty excited to check cacherstats now that I've crossed the 200 find mark, which would have qualified me for the rankings. I was set to BE SOMEBODY.

I was in the same place just before Thanksgiving last year. I'd hit 200 on the way to Duluth & still did not show up on the stats page. I contacted The "Grand High Pobah" ( Grand_High_Pobah@comcast.net ) about it. Apparently he uses benchmark/marker caches as a radar. (*) If you have posted a note, DNF or find on two of these special caches then you will be included on the list. At that time the two closest to me were near the beach in Duluth & a TB hotel in Fargo. I went & posted notes at these caches. About a week later I began to show on the list. (ND) There are many more in Minnesota now than late last fall; lots in Wisconsin too!

If you go to here & put in your home coordinates it will list your closest active caches being monitored for stat purposes:
http://www.cacherstats.com/cgi-bin/NearestMonitoredCaches.pl?Language=

Hope this helps,
Greg aka The Hipster

* Question: Can I include myself in the rankings by using the listed caches?
Answer: Yes, you can. For each of the top 2 caches listed near your home coordinates log a note. A note will work as well as a find or a DNF to get you included in the rankings. By putting a note on the top 2 caches, you will allow me some latitude when it comes time to optimize the caches being used. If the closest 2 caches are more than 60 miles or 100 km away from your home, please send me an email rather than writing notes so that I can include a new cache.
speedysk1
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2009 10:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

FWIW, I emailed the grand high pobah about the google warning and here is his response:

Quote:

The site was hacked into over a two week period. It has been clean since last Tuesday but Google is apparently backed up horribly and can't seem to clear the bogus warnings. Pay no attention to the warning.

Grand High Pobah
[/code]
Post new topic   Reply to topic    MnGCA Forum Index -> Geocaching Websites All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: