MnGCA Home MnGCA
Minnesota Geocaching Association

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   User listUser list   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Pocket Query routes for bike trails - site now up
Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
saulih
Geocacher

PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2009 2:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GeoPierce wrote:
saulih wrote:
Would that imply that you need to be a garmin GPSr user?

Isn't everyone a Garmin user? Hey, keep it on topic! Laughing

Some of us peasants take what Pawn America has on the shelf... Crying or Very sad Embarassed Me it was Magellan.
LucidOndine
Past MnGCA President

PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2009 3:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

saulih wrote:
Some of us peasants take what Pawn America has on the shelf... Crying or Very sad Embarassed Me it was Magellan.
At least you can rest assured that it wasn't stolen property Cool
Bunganator
Geocacher

PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2009 3:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had started a thread a while ago about bike caching:

http://mngca.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=4706&highlight=

Specifically, I reference a website called www.mapmyride.com. This website will snap a route to roads and trails, can be saved as a .kml file, and uploaded directly to geocaching.com caches along a route. This file could also be used in google earth for your purposes. I've never been able to figure out how to make very good routes in google earth, but mapmyride was very easy to use.
timewellspent
Geocacher

PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2009 3:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LucidOndine wrote:
saulih wrote:
At least you can rest assured that it wasn't stolen property Cool

Laughing Laughing Laughing
saulih
Geocacher

PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2009 5:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bunganator wrote:

Specifically, I reference a website called www.mapmyride.com. This website will snap a route to roads and trails, can be saved as a .kml file, and uploaded directly to geocaching.com caches along a route. This file could also be used in google earth for your purposes. I've never been able to figure out how to make very good routes in google earth, but mapmyride was very easy to use.

I searched for 'Gateway Trail' in GE, and it pulled up a whole file of the routes from the Northern and western TC. I suspect that the routes were developed outside of GE.

I actually find GE to be fairly straightforward... I guess I do not have anything else to compare to though Wink .
saulih
Geocacher

PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2009 8:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bunganator wrote:

That it a great website for riders. The problem I see is that these often entail more road riding then trail (or mixture of both) - being geared for the fitness crowd. My objective is to create trail routes where I can take my seven year old, and not have to fear for her very life.

BTW if any of you have bike trail routes already up on GC.com, and they are already public (to the GC.com group) let me know, and I will gladly link to them.
Bunganator
Geocacher

PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2009 10:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

saulih wrote:
Bunganator wrote:

That it a great website for riders. The problem I see is that these often entail more road riding then trail (or mixture of both) - being geared for the fitness crowd. My objective is to create trail routes where I can take my seven year old, and not have to fear for her very life.

BTW if any of you have bike trail routes already up on GC.com, and they are already public (to the GC.com group) let me know, and I will gladly link to them.

That isnt quite true. It took me 2 minutes to create route that follows the entire Cannon Valley Trail from Cannon Falls to Red Wing, no roads. You can create your own routes on it and can stay off of roads. I like biking trails as well because they are much safer. Another One that I have seen a route of already on the website is the Grand Rounds tour in Mnpls/St Paul, bike trail the entire way.
Bunganator
Geocacher

PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2009 10:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

saulih wrote:

If you would like, I can create routes for several bike trails I have ridden on and email you the .kml files. Then you could upload those and find all of the fun info about it to post. Most of the trails have websites specifically for them. You have probably heard on many of the trails, but here is a short list of the trails I have cached on:

Cannon Valley Trail (Cannon Falls to Red Wing - 20 mi)
Singing Hills Trail (Faribault to Mankato - 40mi)
Gateway Trail (St. Paul to Stillwater - 20 mi)
Luce Line Trail (Minnetonka to Winsted - 30 mi)
Wildwood Trail (Near Menomonie, WI - 10 mi)
Grand Rounds Trail (Minneapolis and St. Paul - 50 mi loop?)

There are a few other smaller trails in Shakopee, somewhere in southern MN, and minnetonka.
saulih
Geocacher

PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2009 10:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bunganator wrote:
saulih wrote:

If you would like, I can create routes for several bike trails I have ridden on and email you the .kml files. Then you could upload those and find all of the fun info about it to post. Most of the trails have websites specifically for them. You have probably heard on many of the trails, but here is a short list of the trails I have cached on:

Cannon Valley Trail (Cannon Falls to Red Wing - 20 mi)
Singing Hills Trail (Faribault to Mankato - 40mi)
Gateway Trail (St. Paul to Stillwater - 20 mi)
Luce Line Trail (Minnetonka to Winsted - 30 mi)
Wildwood Trail (Near Menomonie, WI - 10 mi)
Grand Rounds Trail (Minneapolis and St. Paul - 50 mi loop?)

There are a few other smaller trails in Shakopee, somewhere in southern MN, and minnetonka.

Check PM
Post new topic   Reply to topic    MnGCA Forum Index -> Geocaching Websites All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: