MnGCA Home MnGCA
Minnesota Geocaching Association

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   User listUser list   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

4 Gb Card in Garmins

View previous topic :: View next topic  
ghost640
Geocacher

PostPosted: Sat Aug 01, 2009 3:35 pm    Post subject: 4 Gb Card in Garmins Reply with quote

Hey has anyone tried using a 4 Gb microSD card in a Garmin? I have a 76csx, turns out I can buy a 4 Gb card cheaper than a 2 gig. (And having only half the topos in the country isn't quite enough...)
minnesotabrad
Past MnGCA President

PostPosted: Sat Aug 01, 2009 3:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have an 8 GB microSD card in my 550t. Seem to be no issues.
Pear Head
Past MnGCA President

PostPosted: Sat Aug 01, 2009 4:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

While I haven't tried it (I think I have a 1 or 2gb in my 76), this page indicates it's possible:

http://www.gpsnavigatorreviews.com/garmingpsmap76csxsatellitenavigationreview.html

I wonder though if you suffer a performance loss while panning maps if you have that many maps loaded? I haven't really played with mine to see if it's true or not, but I wouldn't be surprised if it did...
ghost640
Geocacher

PostPosted: Sat Aug 01, 2009 6:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

With a little more searching I found this: from http://freegeographytools.com/2007/garmin-microsd-card-tricks7
Quote:

1. It appears as though the USB connection used for uploading map data is USB 1.1 at 12 Mbps, not USB 2.0 at 480 Mbps. Maximum transfer speed for a standard microSD card is on the order of 80 Mbps, well below USB 1.1’s speed. While not a big deal for the default 64 MB microSD card that comes with most of these units, filling up a 512 MB card using USB 1.1 can be time-consuming. For example, I have a set of 1300 MetroGuide and Topo maps that cover much of the western US and take up about 470 MB of space. Uploading these into my Garmin with a 512 MB card, even with USB, takes about 50 minutes: 10 minutes just to put together the map set index and data, and 40 minutes to upload the data to the GPS unit. If you were to upload a full 2 GB of data, it could take as longer than two hours! The read-write speed of a microSD card is 80 Mbps, which is about 6.5 time faster than USB 1.1, but about 1/9th the speed of USB 2.0, so it could benefit from a USB 2.0 connection.

2. There’s a limit of 2025 individual maps in a map set. For some map sets, like MetroGuide, you can cover the whole US easily without coming anywhere close to this limit. But combine that with a set of Garmin Topo maps, or some other map sets, and you could hit that limit easily. 2/08/2008: If you use a card reader, you can load more than 2025 individual maps, but your Garmin may not be able to read them all, leaving gaps in the coverage.

The upload time doesn't bother me, but the map set limitation could be an issue.
Pear Head
Past MnGCA President

PostPosted: Sat Aug 01, 2009 6:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The link I provided indicated that the maximum set size was 1024...
speedysk1
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Sat Aug 01, 2009 8:10 pm    Post subject: Re: 4 Gb Card in Garmins Reply with quote

ghost640 wrote:
Hey has anyone tried using a 4 Gb microSD card in a Garmin? I have a 76csx, turns out I can buy a 4 Gb card cheaper than a 2 gig. (And having only half the topos in the country isn't quite enough...)

Yep, I have the 60csx, basically the same as the 76, and I have a 4gb card in it. You do need to make sure your firmware is up to date. I think some of the older versions of the firmware would only support 2gb.

Let me know if you have any questions.
IBcrashen
Geocacher

PostPosted: Sat Aug 01, 2009 8:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Doesnt matter what size card is in the gps. The firmware of the gps will not read anymore than the 2025 limit.

possible work around by combining sets. I havent heard anything on it for a while now.

link
speedysk1
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Sat Aug 01, 2009 8:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

IBcrashen wrote:
Doesnt matter what size card is in the gps. The firmware of the gps will not read anymore than the 2025 limit.

I think Garmin fixed that.

https://buy.garmin.com/shop/store/downloadsDetails.jsp?id=1245&product=010-00422-00&cID=145&pID=310

Changes made from version 3.70 to 3.90:

* Added support for maps greater than 2 GB.

I have lots of maps and POIs and waypoints. No issue with my 4gb card. When I saw this update come out, I was thrilled. My 2gb card was full, but I updated, got the bigger card, added more maps and all seems ok. I just checked, my card has 1.9 gb of data on it. I'll add some more maps and see what happens.

Give it a try. When I was looking at getting a larger sd card, i had read in a few forums that most people had no issues with the 4gb cards, but some were having issues with 8gb cards. Don't know if that's still an issue or not.

Good Luck!
IBcrashen
Geocacher

PostPosted: Sat Aug 01, 2009 8:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

it will support larger cards but the map tile limit is still there.
speedysk1
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Sat Aug 01, 2009 9:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

IBcrashen wrote:
it will support larger cards but the map tile limit is still there.

Ok, I get it now. I misunderstood your original post. I'll have to keep that in mind because I have lots of map data from multiple sources that I load in my GPSr.
ghost640
Geocacher

PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2009 7:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Update - I upgraded the firmware and put in a 4 Gb card last night, it recognized it just fine. I haven't tried to go over the 2024 map segment limit yet, may look into some of the programs that merge the maps into larger files.

Speedski, let me know if you have any luck going over 2 Gb
bflentje
Geocacher

PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2009 9:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ghost640 wrote:
Update - I upgraded the firmware and put in a 4 Gb card last night, it recognized it just fine. I haven't tried to go over the 2024 map segment limit yet, may look into some of the programs that merge the maps into larger files.

Speedski, let me know if you have any luck going over 2 Gb

I've been using a 4GB card for quite some time. I've never been able to exceed the map tile limit successfully. I can get the entire City Navigator 2009 on one card since the blocks are much bigger. But for Topo, I can only get about 3-4 states loaded at any one time.. even though said states are only 1.5GB or less in size.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    MnGCA Forum Index -> Tech Talk All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: