MnGCA Home MnGCA
Minnesota Geocaching Association

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   User listUser list   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

State Park Spring Clean-up

View previous topic :: View next topic  
15Tango
MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Fri Dec 20, 2002 4:40 am    Post subject: State Park Spring Clean-up Reply with quote

Hi all--I'm starting this thread to let the group know where we are with the planning of our Spring Clean-up Event Cache, hopefully in a State Park to be named later. So far, all I've done so far is email fvmcranger, who started a thread with regards to Geocaching in State Parks on the Geocaching.com forums. Here is my email--

Hi--
I'm a board member of the newly formed Minnesota Geocaching Association (you can find us at www.mngca.org), and I have taken on the task of setting up a spring clean-up event cache. We would like to do this at a State Park to generate some positive P.R. for our sport with the DNR, and use the event as a possible springboard to open up discussion with the DNR regarding our sport. As an event cache, no physical cache containers will be placed in whatever park we do this in--the coordinates posted on the cache page would just be for our meeting place. We will meet, pick up litter for a few hours, and have a picnic/cookout afterwards. We will also pay the appropriate vehicle fees, picnic pavilion fees, etc.
My purpose for emailing you is becuase of your posts in the geocaching forums regarding caches in State Parks--that forum has been one of the more positive dialogues we've had so far with the DNR. I'm hoping you would be able to guide me to a point of contact to get this event off the ground with cooperation between MnGCA and the DNR, or act as a point of contact yourself.
So far, all we've done so far with regards to this event cache is inform the MnGCA membership that a Spring clean-up cache is in the works, and we've tentatively decided that we would like to do this in a near-Metro State Park.

Thank you for your attention--

15Tango
towlebooth
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Fri Dec 20, 2002 9:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Moved this thread over to Events. There is still a link to it from Park Relations but my guess is that we will be focusing on the specifics of the event rather than on relations with the DNR.

Thanks for organizing this event. I am looking forward to it!
King Boreas
Geocacher

PostPosted: Sat Dec 21, 2002 1:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.earthday.net/

April 22, 2003

The CoolerCrew used to do a Trash-Out at the park where the medallion was found. Medallion hunters leave a considerable amount of garbage at times: broken shovels, empty propane tanks, worn-out gloves, etc.

Anyway, this was done on Earth Day each year, which may be a date to consider ??
15Tango
MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Wed Feb 12, 2003 3:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've mentioned the spring trash clean-up to the board as a topic for the next meeting--Earth Day on April 22 sounds good, as well as National Trails Day, on June 7th. More info can be found here-- http://www.americanhiking.org/events/ntd/
the event can also be registered as an official Trails Day event, as well as a Geocaching event. I haven't had any progress yet with my communications with the DNR--I do have to do some community support on my own for the National Guard, so I might go at them from that angle, and hopefully my name isn't flagged as one of "those Geocaching rabble-rousers." Along with the State Parks, there is also the Gateway Trail that is managed by the DNR here in St. Paul, and a couple of other state trails that also have primo cache hiding spots along them. If I can't make any headway with the DNR, I'd be more than happy to set this up where Geocaching is allowed, like Ramsey, Carver, or Three Rivers. I probably won't be at the meeting next week, and next month might be iffy too, but if everyone decides on a date and a place, I'll be able to take it from there.
towlebooth
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Wed Feb 12, 2003 6:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A date in April would have a smaller chance of conflicting with other caching events in this state and others.
Carverguy
Geocacher

PostPosted: Tue Feb 18, 2003 9:02 am    Post subject: Carver County Parks Reply with quote

Carver County Parks is in the process of Organizing a Park Clean up/ Arbor Day Celebration for May 3rd at Lake Minnewashta Regiona Park in Chanhassen. The event is planned to take place between 10am and noon with lunch provided by the Parks Deparment. If you have any questions please contact the parks office at 952-467-4200.
towlebooth
Past MnGCA Board

PostPosted: Fri Feb 28, 2003 7:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tango,

Any furthur thoughts on this event? We need a location and a date soon! Something to get excited about!!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    MnGCA Forum Index -> Events All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: