MnGCA Home MnGCA
Minnesota Geocaching Association

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   User listUser list   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

North Shore Caches

View previous topic :: View next topic  
MnBrew
Geocacher

PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2009 2:18 pm    Post subject: North Shore Caches Reply with quote

We're planning a family vacation for next week along the North Shore. Our goal is to hit all the state parks in NE Minnesota but we're also interested in any "must see" geocaches along the way. If anyone knows of any must see caches between the metro area and Canada in NE Minnesota let me know. We probably won't venture any further west then Orr on this trip.

We have two children but we're game for anything up to about 3.5 star terrain and/or 2-3 mile round trip hike.

Thanks!
Pear Head
Past MnGCA President

PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2009 2:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You may want to look at the COTM nominees and winners:

http://www.geocaching.com/bookmarks/view.aspx?guid=bd7c20fa-83d0-44cc-ab4b-f46d2b9ca329

There are one or two up the shore.

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.aspx?guid=77ab2d64-5c5b-414e-af8a-1b82a149a6e6

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.aspx?guid=6b65cbe2-a251-4348-9f3b-ec40ffecaf58

Both can be pretty difficult depending on the children's ages. Silver Island Treasure should be doable if the kids can boulder hop out to the island. Silver Cliff is best approached (IMHO) from the south/west side of the tunnel, just follow the fence up (stay on the outside of the fence).

There's also:

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.aspx?guid=560dc8ff-f9c1-4b2c-b28d-cf8d948beff5

which is in the same area as (but much easier than) Silver Cliff.
Pear Head
Past MnGCA President

PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2009 2:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are also a LOT of outstanding views along the SHT. You can browse through the Superior Hiking Trail caches here:

http://www.geocaching.com/bookmarks/view.aspx?guid=8973d210-6c12-47d1-ae35-4978814e496d

Remember that normally the words "nice view" can be replaced with "uphill hike", but they're worth it.
MnBrew
Geocacher

PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2009 3:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Excellent, thanks Pear Head!

I'll start my research here tonight.
bflentje
Geocacher

PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2009 4:42 pm    Post subject: Re: North Shore Caches Reply with quote

JEAEFAM wrote:
We're planning a family vacation for next week along the North Shore. Our goal is to hit all the state parks in NE Minnesota but we're also interested in any "must see" geocaches along the way. If anyone knows of any must see caches between the metro area and Canada in NE Minnesota let me know. We probably won't venture any further west then Orr on this trip.

We have two children but we're game for anything up to about 3.5 star terrain and/or 2-3 mile round trip hike.

Thanks!

I know you have young ones. You may want to stop by and borrow my rope ladder for Silver Island Treasure, probably the most rated cache on the North Shore (last time I checked months and months ago).
MnBrew
Geocacher

PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2009 7:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rope Ladder, sounds like fun! Anyway to go one at a time and leave the kids in a safe zone?
bflentje
Geocacher

PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2009 8:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JEAEFAM wrote:
Rope Ladder, sounds like fun! Anyway to go one at a time and leave the kids in a safe zone?

Depends on their abilities. I've been there three times now and just as soon give my little ones the experience while keeping them safe as possible. It's probably easily a 12-15' climb. Getting up is the easy part. Getting down is the spooky part, crawling over that edge is very daunting. If they chicken out on the way down, there's no way back unless they can swim 100 yards in that COLD water.
Pear Head
Past MnGCA President

PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2009 8:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bflentje wrote:
JEAEFAM wrote:

Depends on their abilities. I've been there three times now and just as soon give my little ones the experience while keeping them safe as possible. It's probably easily a 12-15' climb. Getting up is the easy part. Getting down is the spooky part, crawling over that edge is very daunting. If they chicken out on the way down, there's no way back unless they can swim 100 yards in that COLD water.

You can look at the logs for the cache to get some good ideas of the pictures.

It's probably not too bad if you have a 6' adult on the top and on the bottom.

Worst case, assuming they're old enough to do the bolder hopping, is that you could consider leaving them at the base of the ladder, again depending on their age. It's another few hundred feet to the cache site itself. The cache isn't hard to find - it's the experience of getting there that makes it quality, not the hide itself.
MnBrew
Geocacher

PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2009 10:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks like a cool spot. I think with Mom & Dad we can get the kids out there. My youngest isn't probably up to all the rock hopping but it's nothing new for me to do the leg work.

Just on the drive from home to the Canada border I have 71 caches (skipping Duluth for it's own trip) I'd like to visit so we'll see what time allows. Most caches that have been recommended today are on my short list.

Thanks!
bflentje
Geocacher

PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2009 7:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pear Head wrote:
bflentje wrote:
JEAEFAM wrote:

You can look at the logs for the cache to get some good ideas of the pictures.

It's probably not too bad if you have a 6' adult on the top and on the bottom.

Worst case, assuming they're old enough to do the bolder hopping, is that you could consider leaving them at the base of the ladder, again depending on their age. It's another few hundred feet to the cache site itself. The cache isn't hard to find - it's the experience of getting there that makes it quality, not the hide itself.

When my middle daughter was 7 she made it across the boulders no problem. I don't think I'd let my little peanut 5 year old across for quite some time.
Hunter-Killer
Geocacher

PostPosted: Wed Jul 08, 2009 8:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GC17xha

Never seen mention in the other links about this one, but may have missed it. Shovel point prize at Tettgouche state park was spectacular for it's scenic views, and a moderate hike.
Pear Head
Past MnGCA President

PostPosted: Wed Jul 08, 2009 9:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hunter-Killer wrote:
GC17xha

Never seen mention in the other links about this one, but may have missed it. Shovel point prize at Tettgouche state park was spectacular for it's scenic views, and a moderate hike.

That's a nice hike. I hiked it last week (for the Hiking Club), then decided it was time to turn the GPS on when I got back to the truck. I was not happy to learn that I was standing on the cache at one point.
MnBrew
Geocacher

PostPosted: Thu Jul 23, 2009 12:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just wanted to stop in and thank everyone for your suggestions. We didn't cache nearly as much as I would have liked but it was a great trip. We squeezed in 21 State Parks and still made time for a few cool caches along the route. My favorite for the week was "Black Beach" (GC154EY) which I completed all by myself after my wife twisted her anke the day before going after "Good Harbor Bay" GC14FTA. I'd recommend Black Beach to anyone liking a challenging climb but I'll suggest bringing along a friend just in case.

Hoping for a return trip this fall to go after some other ones I had to pass on this time.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    MnGCA Forum Index -> Northern MN All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: