MnGCA Home MnGCA
Minnesota Geocaching Association

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   User listUser list   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

IE8

View previous topic :: View next topic  
bflentje
Geocacher

PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2009 9:29 pm    Post subject: IE8 Reply with quote

Am I the only one experiencing constant IE8 crashes when visiting geocaching.com? I finally had to roll back to IE7 and everything is better now.
Jam3s
Geocacher

PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2009 9:33 pm    Post subject: Re: IE8 Reply with quote

bflentje wrote:
Am I the only one experiencing constant IE8 crashes when visiting geocaching.com? I finally had to roll back to IE7 and everything is better now.

I love Chrome! Firefox as the second. IE? Whats that? j/k
Sharknose Bunnies
Geocacher

PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2009 10:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been wondering if any one browser works better with geocaching.com, or if the site is often sluggish no matter what browser you use. Geocaching is fun; waiting for Geocaching.com to display a page is not.

I use Firefox mainly, but Geocaching.com on Firefox on a Mac is often unresponsive and slow. It seems marginally better -- but not good -- when visiting the site running Firefox on a PC. I've tried using Safari on a Mac, but that's about the same as Firefox on a Mac as far as I can tell.

Good to know about IE8 though. I was thinking of installing that to give it a shot. I might try IE7 or Chrome and see if I notice any differences.
bflentje
Geocacher

PostPosted: Wed Jul 08, 2009 7:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sharknose Bunnies wrote:
I've been wondering if any one browser works better with geocaching.com, or if the site is often sluggish no matter what browser you use. Geocaching is fun; waiting for Geocaching.com to display a page is not.

I use Firefox mainly, but Geocaching.com on Firefox on a Mac is often unresponsive and slow. It seems marginally better -- but not good -- when visiting the site running Firefox on a PC. I've tried using Safari on a Mac, but that's about the same as Firefox on a Mac as far as I can tell.

Good to know about IE8 though. I was thinking of installing that to give it a shot. I might try IE7 or Chrome and see if I notice any differences.

Since geocaching.com is an ASP.NET website, it is safe to say it is geared for IE. Just my observation as a .NET developer myself.
Sharknose Bunnies
Geocacher

PostPosted: Wed Jul 08, 2009 8:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

bflentje wrote:
Sharknose Bunnies wrote:

Since geocaching.com is an ASP.NET website, it is safe to say it is geared for IE. Just my observation as a .NET developer myself.

Ah, that is very helpful to know. I'm going to try IE7 on a Windows PC when I visit the site later today. Thanks. I try to avoid Explorer, but there are times when it's the best choice. This may be one of them.
Jam3s
Geocacher

PostPosted: Wed Jul 08, 2009 9:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use Chrome and I love it. I think that it is a lot faster when it refreshes.
knowschad
Geocacher

PostPosted: Wed Jul 08, 2009 2:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been using IE8 at home and one of my work computers for a while now with no crashes.

Firefox with the geocaching extensions (Lil Devil and Prime Suspect) rock when logging, though! Text formatting toolbar on the log page, a waypoint entry box (that behaves properly and consistantly) on any and every page I visit, intellegent defaults to checkboxes and radio buttons...

Sorry... getting off topic.
Sharknose Bunnies
Geocacher

PostPosted: Wed Jul 08, 2009 5:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No, no, not off track at all. I'm going to try those Firefox extensions. Thanks!

I logged some finds this afternoon using IE7 on a Windows computer and things went much faster than they have gone using Firefox. The site seemed much more responsive.
Sharknose Bunnies
Geocacher

PostPosted: Wed Jul 08, 2009 7:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jam3s wrote:
I use Chrome and I love it. I think that it is a lot faster when it refreshes.

I just tried Chrome now. I think we have a winner. It's blazingly fast on Geocaching.com. It's so much faster than Firefox or IE. Awesome.

Thanks!
knowschad
Geocacher

PostPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2009 8:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sharknose Bunnies wrote:
No, no, not off track at all. I'm going to try those Firefox extensions. Thanks!

I logged some finds this afternoon using IE7 on a Windows computer and things went much faster than they have gone using Firefox. The site seemed much more responsive.

Actually, I called them extensions but they are really Greasemonkey scripts (http://www.greasespot.net/)

Prime Suspects scripts can be found here http://gmscripts.locusprime.net/

and Lil Devil's: http://www.lildevil.org/greasemonkey/
Sharknose Bunnies
Geocacher

PostPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2009 8:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

knowschad wrote:
Sharknose Bunnies wrote:

Actually, I called them extensions but they are really Greasemonkey scripts (http://www.greasespot.net/)

Prime Suspects scripts can be found here http://gmscripts.locusprime.net/

and Lil Devil's: http://www.lildevil.org/greasemonkey/

Ah, thanks. I looked for them last night but couldn't find them. Those links should take care of that.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    MnGCA Forum Index -> Tech Talk All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: